Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 11:07 PM

Default RV theft prevention

Looking for some good methods for preventing theft of an RV. If it is in a more remote location, and not always "manned", what are some good ways to prevent theft?

Hoping someone might have some other ideas besides a hitch lock, wheel boots, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:36 PM

Here is my thoughts,

Do what you can to make it difficult or time consuming to steal. Make sure your insurance coverage is tight and up to date. Remove the wheels if that is not too much of a pain in the butt.

Have you considered a GPS tracking system? I think there was a recent discussion on this. I've also started removing my safety chains completely off my trailer when parked for extended time periods. I have seen videos where thieves just wrap the safety chains around the truck hitch a few times and off they go.

I have a wheel boot and hitch lock on my cargo trailer, but at the end of the day it can be stolen if they really want it.

Hopefully somebody can give you some better tips.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:42 PM

Thanks Rusty, the safety chains one is something I didn't know. Good call.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:14 AM

A good lock that covers the entire hitch/coupler is a good starting point. The cheap ones that have a ball and bar over the top are made of zinc and can be broken with a hammer or picked easily.

I would personally recommend one of these with a Medeco puck lock instead of the included lock. Yes, it will cost a couple hundred bucks, but your trailer cost tens of thousands so it is a relatively small cost in comparison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVtHiX12TVw

Just using a normal padlock on top without something to cover the bottom hole for the ball leaves room for a modified pintle hook to hook up to.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:22 AM

These locks are pretty slick, buddy has one on his cargo trailer very well built, kinda pricey, I have one on order for my boat trailer.

https://www.provenlocks.com/
Old 07-01-2020, 07:30 AM

Put a sign up saying Covid 19 testing unit.lol.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:03 AM

Is RV theft a big concern?
I worry about theft from my RV more. Especially the damage done to get into it.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Is RV theft a big concern?
I worry about theft from my RV more. Especially the damage done to get into it.
Seems to be if you follow the news.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 AM

First off.
No amount of locks are going to stop a determined thief. The best you can hope for is that they move on to a easier target. (Sad but true)

Security in depth and high visibility are your best bets. Tongue lock, disabled or removed safety chains, chain or cable through the tire rims, or a rim lock, maybe removed tires too. Your best bet is leave your trailer where it’s far more visible to others.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 AM

I use a heavy duty lock and heavy grade chain around front wheel, shock and bumper bar.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:03 AM

Pull the wheels off until you need to move the trailer lol.

Buy a 200 dollar beater that starts and drives, park it, pull the battery, take the keys and lock it in front of your rig when not there. My friend uses this method in front of his containers and his garage door at his acreage. When he is out of town working he has some peace of mind.

The problem with out of the way and not manned often, gives the scum a lot of time to deal with the security measures.

Make it a pain in the butt and hope they move on to easier pickings. Sucks that in today's world we have to do this but scum are scoping out stuff to steal 24/7
Old 07-01-2020, 12:25 PM

Friends went to pack their 5th wheel at a secure storage lot near High River and it was gone.
Looks like someone who also had reason/access to be in that lot decided to upgrade to their trailer.
Don't assume anything is secure
Old 07-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Friends went to pack their 5th wheel at a secure storage lot near High River and it was gone.
Looks like someone who also had reason/access to be in that lot decided to upgrade to their trailer.
Don't assume anything is secure
This happens a lot. Done a few Ins claims over the years.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
This happens a lot. Done a few Ins claims over the years.
Trailer was new to them as they had just retired and they were excited to head to Arizona for the winter the following week.

Needless to say that did not happen
Old 07-01-2020, 02:15 PM

I cut off the hitch, bought a 24 inch receiver, welded it in to where the hitch was and made hitch that slides into the receiver thats mounted in the trailer, 2- 3/4 inch pins hold it in place, when its parked pull the pins and take the hitch with you, my insurance went from 130 a year to 27 after i sent them a picture.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
These locks are pretty slick, buddy has one on his cargo trailer very well built, kinda pricey, I have one on order for my boat trailer.

I REALLY like the look of these. Anyone have real world experience with them?

After watching the demo videos I think a battery powered zip disc might make quick work of the lock. Nonetheless it’s definitely one of, if the THE best hitch lock I’ve seen.

Last edited by Hooter; 07-01-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:16 PM

Think again!

https://youtu.be/CUmLf-Wsr0o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post

-Confucius
Old 07-01-2020, 06:57 PM

A lock will only keep a honest person out....

Some good suggestions. The more inconvenient it is to steal the better.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:16 PM

If they can't steal it they will destroy it. Jealousy makes morons do moronic things.

If you dont want it anymore, insure it and have pictures or video of everything you have in it and done to it and leave it at the remote location.

If you want to keep it for a while, park it at home.

Really only 2 choices beyond paying someone to guard it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 07-01-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:54 PM

Get a set of crappy tires that are flat and put them on the trailer. Make sure the spare is missing or flat as well. I never thought about someone stealing my trailer. I figure if it happens it happens. Guess that's why I have insurance as much as it sucks. Too bad people can't respect others belongings and leave stuff that ain't theirs alone.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Get a set of crappy tires that are flat and put them on the trailer. Make sure the spare is missing or flat as well. I never thought about someone stealing my trailer. I figure if it happens it happens. Guess that's why I have insurance as much as it sucks. Too bad people can't respect others belongings and leave stuff that ain't theirs alone.
Exactly what I was thinking. Block it and take a couple tires off if not worried about looks.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
That is why I suggested upgrading to a Medeco lock instead in my post. A bit pricey but much more secure.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:16 PM

Seen this a couple times. No way to pull the trailer unless you have the hitch.

I think if I had an RV, I’d have it as close to home as possible and keep the bare necessities in it. I wouldn't consider leaving it in a remote location unless I had a reliable surveillance system and a dependable GPS tracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
I cut off the hitch, bought a 24 inch receiver, welded it in to where the hitch was and made hitch that slides into the receiver thats mounted in the trailer, 2- 3/4 inch pins hold it in place, when its parked pull the pins and take the hitch with you, my insurance went from 130 a year to 27 after i sent them a picture.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM

if there no gas or wheels or battery, its pretty hard to start it ..
Old 07-02-2020, 01:05 PM

Here's a more proactive way of dealing with RV thieves. Make a couple of spike strips like police use and when you park your trailer hide the spike strips in front of the hitch area. As soon as a thieves back in to take the RV they get 4 flat tires. Instead of losing a trailer you get a truck. Probably a stolen truck but someone will be glad to get their truck back.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here's a more proactive way of dealing with RV thieves. Make a couple of spike strips like police use and when you park your trailer hide the spike strips in front of the hitch area. As soon as a thieves back in to take the RV they get 4 flat tires. Instead of losing a trailer you get a truck. Probably a stolen truck but someone will be glad to get their truck back.
That would be humorous, except for the part if somebody steps on it and gets hurt while trying to steal your trailer. It could be considered a man trap or booby trap, and there are some pretty serious consequences involved. Nothing like being sued by someone trying to steal your stuff, but it could happen.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-02-2020, 02:08 PM

In addition to a good hitch lock remove the breakway switch pin if the thieves don't have one the brakes will be locked.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
In addition to a good hitch lock remove the breakway switch pin if the thieves don't have one the brakes will be locked.
Simple yet effective!!! Like!!!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
And your battery empty and your brakes hot. Not a good idea and the breakaway switch can be disabled by just cutting one cable.

They stole my batteries two years ago, the RV was parked beside of my garage. I made the battery case lockable now.

Lock the trailer hitch and get a good insurance. I locked it with a heavy padlock and one of these cheaper ball locks.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:47 AM

If you have an electric jack, a hidden disconnect switch for the jack, or a hidden disconnect for the batteries would make using the jack pretty difficult.

Again, not gonna stop some determined enough, but may help.