Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Old 03-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Can you think of anything that's works perfectly every time? Trappers are striving to improve methods continuously, you should know that.
So what methods are they striving to improve to help lessen non target catches (cougars) to just say they should just let us have a season is really not a good answer to me.
No body seems to want to answer that, like I mentioned in the other thread I don't think you radio broad cast did you any favours.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Do you hunt? Shots can be bad too. If you hunt, how would you feel about someone going on and on about the ethics of hunting?
Yes I hunt people discuss ethics about it all the time.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
ya the lynx picture shows another reason why snares can be bad kind of proves what was said in the article in the paper that they are not all caught on the neck and killed immediately.
In my experience a lynx snared by the foot just sits there and waits for you, hardly cruel.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Yes I hunt people discuss ethics about it all the time.
So you feel rifle shots should be restricted to 25 yards in order to reduce poor bullet placement on game. Gotcha.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Do you swing the bat as hard as you can when you bonk your fish Sage? Sure hope you can whack them real good and in one swing every time.
Glad to hear you get the bang flop no kick when you shoot a critter too.
That cat looked pretty peacefull to me. Nothing torn up at the site by the looks of things. Kinda like a nice soft catch trap around his paw I would say
Old 03-12-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
So what methods are they striving to improve to help lessen non target catches (cougars) to just say they should just let us have a season is really not a good answer to me.
No body seems to want to answer that, like I mentioned in the other thread I don't think you radio broad cast did you any favours.
Are you aware Sage that F&W treed and shot 14 problem cougars in the Sundre area at tax payer expense? I'm not from that area but it seems like the cougar population is at extreme levels in the area.

The number of cougars that trapper caught seems very extreme and is not commonplace in my opinion.

I know for myself if I was catching that many cougars I would pull my snares. Like everything else there's good and bad in every bunch and the bad is generally what makes the most sensational news story.

I go to great lengths to avoid non target catches (deer in my area). I've caught hundreds of coyotes the past few years and have never killed a deer. I've had a few a year released by my breakaways. These breakaways also released a few very valuable coyotes for me. It's a cost I'm willing to accept to prevent deer catches.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd suggest you replay Bills interview. He addressed the fact that now the ATA Trapper Education Course is mandatory for first time trappers. This Course covers minimizing by-catches to a great extent.

Did you also know the new qualifications for holding an RFMA? I'll tell you. You either have to have been a previous Senior holder of an RFMA to have one tranfered to you or have been a Junior partner on an RFMA for three to five years and be able to demonstrate through interview process with E&P you are a capable and ethical trapper.

These are very positive moves by Trappers to minimize by-catches. Hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
I'd suggest you replay Bills interview. He addressed the fact that now the ATA Trapper Education Course is mandatory for first time trappers. This Course covers minimizing by-catches to a great extent.

Did you also know the new qualifications for holding an RFMA? I'll tell you. You either have to have been a previous Senior holder of an RFMA to have one tranfered to you or have been a Junior partner on an RFMA for three to five years and be able to demonstrate through interview process with E&P you are a capable and ethical trapper.

These are very positive moves by Trappers to minimize by-catches. Hope that helps.
I heard what he said, doesn't answer it or did you really. His answer was basically the same as others on here, just change the laws so we can trap them and its not really a bad thing for there is to many any way.
Im asking what methods are being used to help with not catching non target animals, specifically cougar.
People are giving driving tests they still speed, text while driving etc. so taking the course may not be helping.
I will ask again what new methods are being implemented to help in not catching non target animals specifically cougar.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Are you aware Sage that F&W treed and shot 14 problem cougars in the Sundre area at tax payer expense? I'm not from that area but it seems like the cougar population is at extreme levels in the area.

The number of cougars that trapper caught seems very extreme and is not commonplace in my opinion.

I know for myself if I was catching that many cougars I would pull my snares. Like everything else there's good and bad in every bunch and the bad is generally what makes the most sensational news story.

I go to great lengths to avoid non target catches (deer in my area). I've caught hundreds of coyotes the past few years and have never killed a deer. I've had a few a year released by my breakaways. These breakaways also released a few very valuable coyotes for me. It's a cost I'm willing to accept to prevent deer catches.
Thanks for your post from what you write sounds like you are concerned about other animals out there as well.
I have read about the 14 shot by the F&W as well and I would want to no why they were deemed as a problem and by who for many of them probably did not be deserved to be destroyed as well.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your post from what you write sounds like you are concerned about other animals out there as well.
I have read about the 14 shot by the F&W as well and I would want to no why they were deemed as a problem and by who for many of them probably did not be deserved to be destroyed as well.

Call f&w and find out! They may have an adequate answer for you!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
I heard what he said, doesn't answer it or did you really. His answer was basically the same as others on here, just change the laws so we can trap them and its not really a bad thing for there is to many any way.
Im asking what methods are being used to help with not catching non target animals, specifically cougar.
People are giving driving tests they still speed, text while driving etc. so taking the course may not be helping.
I will ask again what new methods are being implemented to help in not catching non target animals specifically cougar.
Obviously you did not read what I posted. Like Rodtka et al and Suzuki you ignore the facts and stick to emotion to get your point across. Fact is you have no point or direction. Nobody is asking to change any laws. Please just deal with fact but as usual anti's like you don't.

I would suggest you take the ATA Trapping course and then comment. Think you're up to it?
Old 03-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well phone Adam Mirus at Fish and Wildlife Sundre and let him enlighten you why. If you are so concerned a wrongful act has been commited by E&P in this regard please post the results. I'm willing to bet you haven't got the kahunas to even follow up your statement.
I'll bet the response to this will never be followed up.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Obviously you did not read what I posted. Like Rodtka et al and Suzuki you ignore the facts and stick to emotion to get your point across. Fact is you have no point or direction. Nobody is asking to change any laws. Please just deal with fact but as usual anti's like you don't.

I would suggest you take the ATA Trapping course and then comment. Think you're up to it?
That's fine you don't have to answer anything, didn't really think you would, mainly because most don't care about non-target catches and don't want to make the effort. Im not against trapping or an anti like you guys like to say but do have no problem saying Im not a fan of snares. I do realize it is the cheapest and easiest way for you to trap certain species and that's what many are more concerned about.

Went back and listened to the broadcast again, says they been lobbying for years to get a harvest on cougars, to me sounds like they want the law changed maybe Im hearing it wrong.

What facts am I ignoring?

Last edited by sage 13; 03-12-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:27 PM
Banned

sage 13 , Itemize your solution to the supposed problem,
We are all ears to hearing what you have to say and how you would change everything and make it acceptable to everyone, Give it your best!
HOW would YOU deal with wolves??
Old 03-12-2016, 08:30 PM

You got my vote so far Parfleche
Old 03-12-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
We are all ears to hearing what you have to say and how you would change everything and make it acceptable to everyone, Give it your best!
Huh no answers to anything I ask , just insults and smart ass comments, but you want me to answer your questions.
Sure I will give some thoughts. Leg holds, now I no most will be crying there to hard to use, cost to much money, have to be checked to often. Then certain people will have to be hired to do it full time and be able to go on any registered line, this will probably have other trappers made for they don't want others on there line.
Snares could also possible be used by the right people in the right situations but it would also have to be full time. Not set out on baits and left for a week or two at a time in hopes something comes along. Put out only when wolves are hitting the bait or better yet on a kill then removed.
Theres a couple thoughts.

Forgot to add airial shooting/gunning would work as well.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Huh no answers to anything I ask , just insults and smart ass comments, but you want me to answer your questions.
Sure I will give some thoughts. Leg holds, now I no most will be crying there to hard to use, cost to much money, have to be checked to often. Then certain people will have to be hired to do it full time and be able to go on any registered line, this will probably have other trappers made for they don't want others on there line.
Snares could also possible be used by the right people in the right situations but it would also have to be full time. Not set out on baits and left for a week or two at a time in hopes something comes along. Put out only when wolves are hitting the bait or better yet on a kill then removed.

When wolves hit a bait, they eat and go, hard to say if they will return in 3 days or 12 days. Not sure what you mean by setting snares when they are there....
Aerial? Why waste tax dollars when trappers can profit from snaring them and returning profits back into the economy instead of putting a drain on it?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
If it smells like a fish, swims like a fish, looks like a fish and sounds like a fish, it could be a troll.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-12-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Now all that made me laugh till i cried!! WOW. Your not a fan of snares and you spit all that out lol I am not even going to start to comment on what you just said. This just proves my point from having you pegged from the start a long time ago.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:19 PM

If a dog is going to get caught in a snare they will certainly get caught in a leg hold as well.
Cat
Old 03-12-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Wow it's obvious you have no clue about trapping and probably not to much common sense after that comment
Old 03-12-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If a dog is going to get caught in a snare they will certainly get caught in a leg hold as well.
Cat
If your talking dog as in wolf yes they can and if your talking dog as in pet yes they can but they can be also let go same as a cougar or any other non-target animal.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
Wow it's obvious you have no clue about trapping and probably not to much common sense after that comment
please explain
Old 03-12-2016, 10:47 PM

It's pretty self explanatory.... You have no clue about trapping
Old 03-12-2016, 11:12 PM

WTF ???

Did I miss my buddy Raven Lunatic ? I mean Rabbit Snarer ? I mean old Dwight again ?

That was an exceptionally short visit !!! didn't even have a chance to say hello
Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Wolves are smart Sage ! Way smarter then cats are and they are tough to catch. Areas where they are starving or tough winters make it easier but not a slam dunk.

Yes you can leghold them successfully, and consistently but it costs big dollars. I love catching theme this way but it's not cost effective.

Snaring or poison is the only way to effectively kill them cheaply. Personally I'd rather hang then be poisoned, but that's just me. The government tasks us trappers with helping to control the wolf population, on our Traplines at least. We do what we can but can only operate within our legal limits.

Again back to snaring being the only effective way to kill them. Trying to predict when the wolves will be there so you can set a couple days before then pull right after is impossible. I've had snares sit empty for 50-60 days before a pack came back through an area and I've had them come the next day. Hard to predict what a pack animal with a huge home range will do.

As for aerial gunning the cost works out to $2,000 per wolf from what the bios reported. Give us trappers 2K per wolf and I know one area that will see a serious decline

As for the cats being caught, if the numbers are consistently as high as they say they are, we have a cat problem. With the 125 or so a year being shot by hunters and all the problem ones that F&W kills, plus whats being trapped incidentally we should be seeing a decline.
But the numbers are steadily climbing across the board. Likely time to kill a few more.

Last edited by Torkdiesel; 03-12-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
If your talking dog as in wolf yes they can and if your talking dog as in pet yes they can but they can be also let go same as a cougar or any other non-target animal.
Dogs that get caught in traps or snares would hopefully be supervised, as in being with a hunter.

Wolves that get caught traps and snares are being caught for fur and personally I see no reason for a trapper not to profit a cougar hide either, instead having to turn it in.
There should be a season them the same as wolves.
Cat
Old 03-12-2016, 11:51 PM

Yes but try to convince the hounds men of that! At least not too many Cougars up in our area cat

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-12-2016, 11:57 PM

Yeah, not too many, but we both know they are up here!
Cat