Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:53 PM

Default Trapline Auction

Here's a couple of traplines being auctioned off if anyone is interested.

http://www.millersauctionservice.com...les/index.html
Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 PM

The grande cache Trapline has been for sale for years. It was 300K now down to 200K. I offered him 100K and he laughed at me on the phone. I'm sure there is a large reserve on this item at the auction.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:51 PM

I was wondering if that was the line. Thanks tork.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:11 AM

I would be nervous to put a 20 % non refundable deposit and then not have esrd approve the transfer.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:25 AM

I don't know if its even legal to auction a trapline. At the end of the day the government will decide who gets to trap it. When you “buy” a line it actually goes back to the government then they reissue it to a new trapper.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 AM

I personally will have no issue with putting the 20% down and buying that line through the auction if the price is right. Time well tell
Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned

Default Recreational traplines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I personally will have no issue with putting the 20% down and buying that line through the auction if the price is right. Time well tell
- this is like buying recreational property, right. Bound to appreciate.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
I don't know if its even legal to auction a trapline. At the end of the day the government will decide who gets to trap it. When you “buy” a line it actually goes back to the government then they reissue it to a new trapper.
Not ...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:21 AM

Default auction

Anyone know how the auction of the traplines went, did they actually sell?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Anyone know how the auction of the traplines went, did they actually sell?
Oct 4th at 10 a.m. BGW
Old 09-29-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Not ...
I have did this process twice you relinquish it to the crown it gets put under a co and if thir is any questions or reasons it is a questionable transfer there is some meetings and crap then it might go. I have traded a few lines that should go really smooth and the guy receiving the one line it happens in two weeks and mine it takes two months with me making allot of phone calls and a few personal meetings that were unexpected to the powers to be. Verry scary and I dident have any money transfer. The only thing that can really be charged for is trapping equipment and cabins is how I see it.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:46 AM

Default trapline

Double check with Nube, but I think it took 4-6 months for Nube a very accomplished trapper to be finally approved by F & W for his line. It is not a slam dunk process anymore even after you have put your money on the table for a line. F & W make the final decission, not a case of money talks.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I have did this process twice you relinquish it to the crown it gets put under a co and if thir is any questions or reasons it is a questionable transfer there is some meetings and crap then it might go. I have traded a few lines that should go really smooth and the guy receiving the one line it happens in two weeks and mine it takes two months with me making allot of phone calls and a few personal meetings that were unexpected to the powers to be. Verry scary and I dident have any money transfer. The only thing that can really be charged for is trapping equipment and cabins is how I see it.
You are not supposed to be buying a wilderness retreat on public land for your own personal use. The way this privilege is being abused I am surprised the government has not followed the US. In this context trapping is recreational and should be available to everyone, no different than hunting or fishing.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
You are not supposed to be buying a wilderness retreat on public land for your own personal use. The way this privilege is being abused I am surprised the government has not followed the US. In this context trapping is recreational and should be available to everyone, no different than hunting or fishing.
Don't hold your breath for that one
Old 09-30-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
Not trying to start a fight but I disagree. I don't have a trapline but the states model is for the rec trapper not the career trapper. Down in the states they deal with a lot of trap theft. Disturbing traps and sabotage. Yes I know there are laws against that but it still happens. Look at nubes cabin law broken. You will also find some areas will be over trapped cause everyone wants a piece. Then the all knowing government would have to impose a tag system just like the walley bs. What a headache and room for mismanagement. I personally don't think the system is good. But the states model would really mess stuff up.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Not trying to start a fight but I disagree. I don't have a trapline but the states model is for the rec trapper not the career trapper. Down in the states they deal with a lot of trap theft. Disturbing traps and sabotage. Yes I know there are laws against that but it still happens. Look at nubes cabin law broken. You will also find some areas will be over trapped cause everyone wants a piece. Then the all knowing government would have to impose a tag system just like the walley bs. What a headache and room for mismanagement. I personally don't think the system is good. But the states model would really mess stuff up.
We have recreational trapping now, not career trapping. I think it's only fair that other trappers are allowed a slice of the pie. not just a select and usually affluent few. I have trapped all my life and know how much money is made trapping. The absurdity is we now have "helicopter" trapping for example. I'm not interested in a register line, I could have had several over the years so I'm not feeling sorry for my self. Fair is fair. 100,000 - 200,000$ traplines?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:51 PM

are you trolling? or serious??. is a 20$ licences keeping you out of the game? because your not going find one any cheaper anywhere in north america.

everyone already has a slice of the pie if they choose.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:16 PM

I do not agree with $200000 trapline. Then best part is no one has bought that stuff on the line for $200000 because it is absurd. I am not trying to cause a fight but states model would ruin things. In Ontario they have a quota system on beavers and a lodge count and so many beaver have to be trapped. I don't think a quota system is good either. I personally think that if your line hasn't been trapped for more than 2 years maybe it should be available for someone else. At least with a two year limit then more people may need junior trappers. Then the lines would at least be trapped.

If I am out in left field than so be it.
I won't comment any further so you have the last word this is the wrong thread I should have revived a previous one.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Exactly. Don't hand the money over until the line is tranfered to your name.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=braggadoe;2565011]are you trolling? or serious??. is a 20$ licences keeping you out of the game? because your not going find one any cheaper anywhere in north america.

Absolutely serious and if you had read my post you would realize I have had my choice of registered lines many times over the years and am not interested. I am in the game as you say all I want to be. I just don't like the way traplines are restricted to so few people, and as I said generally affluent. I know of several lines that have to take on juniors just so they can say they are trapped.

I notice the same sense of entitlement present in many registered trappers as in some crown land lease holders. There: you probably think I'm trolling again.

It's nothing more than how to split the pie fairly and equitably.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Who's at the auction today?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Trap line went for 160K
Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 PM

Wow! Did the horses and tack sell high also? Thx
Old 10-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Holy smokes. Better than the $200000 but not by much. I wonder what would happen if the ersd declined the transfer.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:56 PM

I never made it down. That's 60K more then I would have paid anyway. As for SRD they can't stop the transfer anyway, just prolong it but there are ways around that anyway.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I never made it down. That's 60K more then I would have paid anyway. As for SRD they can't stop the transfer anyway, just prolong it but there are ways around that anyway.
They can stop it if they feel the person doesn't qualify or is buying it for the wrong reason.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
They can stop it if they feel the person doesn't qualify or is buying it for the wrong reason.
Sure they can "do" lots of things. But they never have and never will. I know several people that got their first trappers license the day the Trapline was transferred into their names. Or at least that's when the process began anyway. Before that day they had never trapped a day in their life.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Yup, thjat is what I had to deal with until I started to blow a fuse. Was on the edge of hiring a lawyer and they new it
Old 10-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yup, thjat is what I had to deal with until I started to blow a fuse. Was on the edge of hiring a lawyer and they new it
Same here Phil. Had to have a sit down meeting with the regional director and basically lost my **** over the power trip the lead CO was on. Magically 2 days later the transfer was complete. What a coincidence
Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Did anyone see what the recreational property on Pigeon went for?
Closed Thread