Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM

Default Porcupines!!!!!!!

I've found a few good sized porkys laying on the roads so far this winter. If you happen to come across any in your travels, out hunting or trapping, feel free to knock him on the head and send him my way! $$
Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 AM

What are you doing with them?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Ya whats up with people wanting porcupines this year? theres a bunch of adds on infomall asking for them. Indian art?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvTheOutdoors View Post
I've found a few good sized porkys laying on the roads so far this winter. If you happen to come across any in your travels, out hunting or trapping, feel free to knock him on the head and send him my way! $$
Dam i had just killed two the dog got into one and lost. And the other was killing my TREES! LOL. What would you pay for one and how would you D side what they're worth. Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
What are you doing with them?
Yup exactly as mentioned. The quills n hair are used in arts and crafts. I use as much as I can get a winter. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=Wild side targets;2207146]Dam i had just killed two the dog got into one and lost. And the other was killing my TREES! LOL. What would you pay for one and how would you D side what they're worth. Thanks[/QUOT

Well if uget anymore give me a ring. Lol. The price is depending on hair weight length n if its whole carcass or already plucked. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 PM

Default Porcupines

Ok, I'm not trying to be the Internet police here but I do ponder the legalities of selling animals? A porky isn't a game animal, but its not a fur bearing animal either, so what really are the legalities? Anyone know?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM

Default Porky's

Damn, I already shot 2 this year & left em for the scavengers. The wife has seen another though cruising the yard. If I get him, you can have it. I am only 20 minutes from Bonnyville.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Porcupine are not a protected species.
In the hunting regulations it says you may hunt but not trap Porcupine.

The Alberta Wildlife Act calls selling of any part of an animal, trafficking.

Section 62 of the Alberta Wildlife Act says this;

Quote:
Trafficking in wildlife
62(1) A person shall not traffic in wildlife.
(2) A person shall not be in possession of wildlife for the purpose
of trafficking in wildlife.
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not
(a) apply if and to the extent that the trafficking or the
possession is specifically authorized by a permit
or is
authorized by or under the Livestock Industry
Diversification Act,
(b) apply if the trafficking or possession is reasonably
incidental to the operation of a fur farm in accordance
with the Fur Farms Act or is in accordance with the Meat
Inspection Act or the Meat Inspection Act (Canada), or
(c) prevent a person from acquiring wildlife from the Minister
under section 9.
(4) Each single act described in section 1(1)(gg)(i) or (ii) done in
relation to a wildlife animal constitutes a separate act of trafficking
in wildlife.
In other words; you may not sell any part of a wild animal unless you are authorized to do so by license or permit.

Since Porcupine are not classed as fur bearing, a trapping license would not allow the sale of any part of a Porcupine, and a trapping license is the only license I am aware of that would allow one to sell parts of a wild animal.

However, it may be possible to obtain a permit from F&W that would allow you to sell parts of wildlife, that is classed as a pest species.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Well in that case LuvTheOutdoors you can have what i may get in the future LOL. Thanks CalgaryChef & KegRiver for looking into this who would've thunk a dead porky would find a guy in trouble if he had sold it for $5.00 or just a trade LOL.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 PM

Can't charge for the animal but can pay for delivery gas

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Can't charge for the animal but can pay for delivery gas
You're a thinker ..lol..
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM

I shot seven porcies in a span of five days back in October. The first one the dog got into an argument with and lost. Then all he wanted to do was track em, find em and wait for me to kill em, dam dog lol.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryDawg View Post
I shot seven porcies in a span of five days back in October. The first one the dog got into an argument with and lost. Then all he wanted to do was track em, find em and wait for me to kill em, dam dog lol.
What has more purpose? 7 porcupines or 1 dog?
It makes me very sad that people think they have the right to kill porcupines because their dog tied into one. Maybe dog owners should be teaching their dogs better instead of ruthless killing of our wildlife.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
What has more purpose? 7 porcupines or 1 dog?
It makes me very sad that people think they have the right to kill porcupines because their dog tied into one. Maybe dog owners should be teaching their dogs better instead of ruthless killing of our wildlife.
Agreed, however if the porcupine was killing the trees on my property I would let them have it! My dog got hit once and learned from it - now he just chases them.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Ya whats up with people wanting porcupines this year? theres a bunch of adds on infomall asking for them. Indian art?
Porcupines are DELICIOUS!!!!

Pasties?! Yes! Ground meat? You got it! Charcuteirie Meat? Of course!

Need I go on?!!!

I am looking for them while Hare Hunting upcoming at all times. I am very excited to take some of these things to the crock pot as well.

We are talking a lovely red meat with its own thing going on. Could not be happier with it. I do wish I had some handy at the moment.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Y'all look up into the trees for these tasty beasts. They love to hide up in tree. You see, they move REAL slow and will take several days to check out the upper reaches of a partiular tree they're in.

Take a peek up yonder next time Folks.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-25-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Ok, I'm not trying to be the Internet police here but I do ponder the legalities of selling animals? A porky isn't a game animal, but its not a fur bearing animal either, so what really are the legalities? Anyone know?
Let us all embrace the Freedom. No need to ask why, they are fair game at all times. Most refreshing in this time of persecution of the Lawful Hunter.

If someone wants to pay for a quill, let them do it. Anti-wildlife selling Law is nothing more than something designed to keep us slaves*. Oh, of course there is that little thing of not extirpated species...

Yet if our Alberta PC Government continues to kill our Caribou for nothing more than china-bound Bitumen, may as well go gunning for some Porkies and ask no questions.

As for me?

I have personal use for more Porkies than I can shoot and I don't tend to take ones I don't. So m statements are Freedom based symbolism more than anything. I shall not provide anyone with Porcupines as I need them for myself.

Good Luck all!

* Sure, there is that little matter of our Elders, especially White Elders, eliminating our Bison heards and what not... Please do Harvest with caution, Ethics and RESPECT FOR GAME PERSUED.

*EDIT*

I appologise if I have made a shade too many posts. I was having site issues a bit and thought it best to submit my subsequent ideas as new posts. I am not accusing the owners of this site of any misdoing or for difficulties, They must simply be a comprehension issue on my end.

I thank you all for your patience on the matter.

Sincerely,

Good Ol' "No Choke"!

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-25-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM

So ive finally got confirmation from fish and wildlife in st. Paul ab. Officer duane fleming.

It is perfectly legal to kill and sell porcupines and porcupine parts in alberta at any time of the year!!!!

So therefore hunt away my friends and if you get one or 10 of em porkies. Give me a call!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Whats a good way to make a pork pine come to you, big one has made a home under a friends shed out at the cabin.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Whats a good way to make a pork pine come to you, big one has made a home under a friends shed out at the cabin.
I use apples cut in half mixed with brown sugar. Place it in an ice cream pail in a tree close by the shed. He'll come out at night to eat it. Then knock him on the head with a big stick. Also u can use salt and cedar branches. Place em on the ground near the shed n he'll come out n eat em.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=Red Bullets;2211312]What has more purpose? 7 porcupines or 1 dog? QUOTE]

1 dog
Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=kmart;2213258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
What has more purpose? 7 porcupines or 1 dog? QUOTE]

1 dog
I agree!!! So kill another 7 and I'll come pick em up!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Porcupines???

They stink...

Yuck...

Gag me with a fork!!!

Fine long range varmint for the heavy caliber s tho!!! Such a stable target for extreme long rang, and you can see it
Old 11-27-2013, 01:45 PM

Smile

So all this begs the question; how do you cook a porcupine? I've heard they taste horrible but I've never tried it. Now I'm getting curious...
Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 PM

Needless to say, I too agree on the one Dog thing (as discussed above). I know the value of the Dog and the love that a good Master has for their Pooch is a true familial bond. I value Porcupines and respect them as well yet they serve a much different purpose in our environment as well as being a consumable resource for some Humans. A Dog is bred by and for Man to serve as a companion and helper. It is plain to see the difference and both are cherished by myself.

I will keep an open mind and see if I could share any hides, hair or quills at some time in the future. I am developing an interest in crafts and would like to try my hand at a few things... So I shall have to see how it goes. As of now I am looking to learn and doing some studying on the matter. When appropriate rescources are available, I shall proceed.

As per recipes and cooking, here is a brief and entertaining article I discovered on the matter -

http://ushotstuff.com/wg/PorcupineSmp.htm

"The porcupine is rarely an intentional hunter's target, but many hunters take a whack at one when they come across it inadvertently. Some People encourage this, particularly Foresters who resent the porky's habit of "ringing" trees, leading to the tree's eventual death. Others insist that porcupines should be killed only in dire emergency; they have been called a "walking lunchbox." Since porcupines are very slow-moving, anyone lost in woods where porcupines live can always eat. The animal can be easily killed with a club for a source of food.

Whatever your particular attitude is, should you want to try a porcupine, go right ahead. It is not necessarily true that they taste like kerosene! The porcupine cleans out easily. Much as you would proceed with a rabbit, slit the belly area, thus avoiding the quills. Naturally, remove the stomach. The hide peels off easily, as does the rabbit's, right down to the feet and there you are with lean, dark meat. (In Pennsylvania, if the quills aren't to be saved, they are first singed off, then the skin is cut off.) Porkies range from 9 to 40 pounds.

Jacqueline E. Knight

=================================

Marinated Porcupine Chops

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
6 Porcupine chops
3 Fingers coltsfoot salt
1 qt Maple sap
2 sm Wild onions
4 Wild leeks

Pour the sap in a birch bark container or other non-metallic
container. Cut up the onions into small pieces and add to the sap.
Place the porcupine chops one at a time into the solution, placing
one wild leek between the chops. Let stand overnight in a cool
place. In the morning grease the stone griddle with fat and remove
the chops from the marinade and fry on the griddle. Serve on hot
cornmeal cakes.

================================

New England Broiled Porcupine Liver

Recipe By: Jacqueline E. Knight

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
Porcupine liver(s)
Bacon slices

Soak the whole liver in salted water for 15 minutes. Remove,
drain, and wipe dry. Cut liver into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Drop
slices into boiling water for 1 minute. Remove, drain, and cool.
Remove thin membrane fron edges and all gristle and tubes. Wrap
each slice with a slice of bacon and broil for 5 minutes.

Comments: Since the porky is a sedentary animal, the liver is
relatively large. The liver is very sweet and is considered one of
the finest of game livers."

I have yet to try these specifics ideas and unfortunately do not have a Porcupine handy at the moment. As I have been meaning to try them without opportunity just yet, I thought it may be beneficial to share this article/recipes I found online with others here, for your edification.

I will most likely be using a stove top and and pan to cook the chops and will substitute store bought vegetable if needs be. If anyone tries these recipes before I do, please let me know! Additionally if anyone has any other ideas, I wold love to hear them. I will report back when possible.

Thank You!

Here is some additional information provided by Alberta ESRD on Porcupines in Alberta -

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/W...porcupine.aspx

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-27-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
So all this begs the question; how do you cook a porcupine? I've heard they taste horrible but I've never tried it. Now I'm getting curious...
Like any food item, how it is handled and prepared has a huge factor. As too may the animals diet. If they've been eating alot a pine, the flavour may go Spruce-esque and so forth. If someone had one poorly cooked (essentially a combination of partially burnt and partially raw) over open flame, such as a campfire, I could see how they may not like it.

Also, people who prefer the taste of farmed meats to that of wild animals could potentially take exception to the flavour. I recommend a good long soak in a brine or marinade for any such folks.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=LuvTheOutdoors;2213277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post

I agree!!! So kill another 7 and I'll come pick em up!
I will shoot all I see, as well I usually snag a few each year in my traps. I will PM you when I get more.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
They are horrible, I have eaten it, and never will again, unless I am starving!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
They are horrible, I have eaten it, and never will again, unless I am starving!
It probably wasn't cooked properly. I've eaten em roasted slowly with lots of onion garlic potatoes and carrots. Hmmmmmmmmmm a great tasting meat! Just like beaver done the same way!!!!