Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Water starting to freeze

I went out duck hunting this evening and walked out to the duck blind breaking through very thin ice. Not to much longer until bird hunting is mainly field hunting as it will be the only option. As well since this is my first year hunting with the dog what are some of the points that you definately stop water hunting the dog, how thick is the ice around the edges or in the reeds before you stop, or how cold before you stop sending the into the water (I have a young choc lab) Oh well there are always upland birds for the dog and big game on the prairies is just around the corner with the rifle!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM

Once it isn't safe for your dog to be on the water anymore. Depending on the area of the province, the water will freeze at different times. Use your better judgement/common sense and don't put your pup into a situation which he can't get out of. It sure would suck to have to watch helplessly while your pup struggled for his life...
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

i wouldnt stand by watching. if its thin enough for him to fall through then its thin enough for me to break it and pull him out. of course the better option is to stay away the minute there is any doubt about your pals safety. is a duck really worth it?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM

I stop hunting the dog when he has to almost start to pull himself up onto the ice to break it. Breaking ice is hard and dogs aren't as important when the birds hit and stick.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Oh there is no way in God's green earth I would ever risk my dog's life over a duck sending him out when he has to pull himself up onto ice to get back, not going to happen. I was thinking that the ice could possibly cause injury, cutting/poking him or something, the water that I mainly hunt here is only 1-1/2 feet deep max so drowning isn't an issue, he is running more than swimming through the slough. As well what sort of risk is hypothermia, the one morning was -8, that just can't be comfortable getting wet and having to sit in the blind.