Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Default Poachers in wmu510

Seems as though every season you hear of poaching and just hope the poachers are charged or realize they are the scum ruining this great pasttime. Even more you hope it doesnt effect your family, friends or your favorite hunting area.

Well this year the area that I hunt in wmu510 is over run with dirtbags nightlighting and poaching. Leaving whitetail bucks without heads or just left because they are too small.

Better yet they are trespassing on private land, cutting fences, and being picked up by jetboat so they arent seen during daylight hours.

This is how I started my morning by getting all wound up from hearing about the fences that need to be fixed and posted "stay the F out. no trespassing" and the dead deer everywhere.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM

I am assuming you reported the issues to your local fish cop????
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 PM

They are definately informed about the issue. I am sure they are doing everything they can. Everyone else still has to keep an eye out to since SRD cant be everywhere always.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Ugh... My lake lot is in 510.. I havnt even scouted the area yet.. Sad to hear about the poaching going on .. Will definetly be keeping my eyes open next month when I start wandering through there...
Old 10-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Should only be a few spots to take out a river boat, maybe fish and wildlife could watch them. That sucks for sure when poachers move in.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM

to bad there are 104 f&w officers in Alberta, thats 1 i every 35 thousand people.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM

So I'm guessing it's locals out there doing this then?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 PM

YUP i hunt in 510 and it is alot of locals who are night hunting. Keep you head up this season.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM

I also hunt in 510. Last year I found a cow moose with the backstraps cut out and left on a cutline. Up Tieland road, back by the gravel pit. Not cool. That area is always crawling with hunters. It would be nice to see these people get busted... right in the lips
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
YUP i hunt in 510 and it is alot of locals who are night hunting. Keep you head up this season.
curious how you know that its locals?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM

wow, interesting to say the least !!! I guess i'm guilty because i'm a local ! It's also not even gun season yet , so that makes this even more intreresting !
There always seems to be a few incidences ever year of a few fences cut, trespassing etc. I dont believe that this is any worse in 510 than any other part of the province. If we as hunters keep our eyes open and report issues, then we are helping to remove the problem.
The game wardens are actually pretty good up here. I have already been checked twice this year, and usually see them 3-4 times a year doing checks and patrols ! Thats better than some othere zones !
Old 10-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Got some freinds land I hunt in 510, but its pretty safe from a few helpful farmers.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

I think it's usually locals.

It's less nervey to drive a few miles and pull into a garage than cross a couple hundred with your spoils in the back of a truck.
Besides...at night...in an area where there might be someone you didn't know about near by?

I'd be willing to bet the culprit lives very close to the scene of the crime 99% of the time.

I have not hunted that area but I'm glad to say that I haven't seen anything fishy where I hunt so far... this year.

In fact..I haven't seen anything fishy there in a couple years since I basically quit hunting public land.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 AM

We reported a guy that shot and left a mulie doe last year near Tieland, got the conviction and linked him to two more incidents. Local from Flatbush.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=pesky672;1134745]I think it's usually locals.

Couldn't agree more.In my experience, it is usually the locals that cause the problems. My parents farm in east central Alberta. They get a lot of hunters from Calgary,Edmonton etc. Most return every year.These hunters never give them any problems. They have a place to hunt, fill there tags and then go home. When I am out there hunting, I can usually stop and have a pleasant conversation with them. The locals however, have this mindset of "he won't mind" if they go on posted land, shoot one ( or a few) deer. Shooting livestock on purpose. Rip up crop land and native grass. Shoot from the road. I can go on. There have been numerous times we have had to kick people off. Every vehicle we see gets the plate number and description wrote down, whether we know them or not. Have had to allow access by written permission only with strict guidelines, and deny access to some land all together. This is what it has come to. A few bad apples spoiling it for everyone else. I apologize for the rant. But it costs landowners a lot of time and money as a result of these things. Rant over.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Cutting a fence at 3am, dropping off 4 guys in tree stands on private land with no permission, "driver" leaves in the truck. Then picking up the stand hunters in evening on the river in a jet boat.......

Seems a little excessive for locals. Kind of organized and executed so nobody is seen during daylight. A little fishy one might say
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
I think it's usually locals.

In fact..I haven't seen anything fishy there in a couple years since I basically quit hunting public land.

Could be locals. Hard to really say. I am certain that the private land we hunt that is being affected isnt local landowners.

Another reason I also do not taking public land hunting to serious. We lost 2 tree stands and 3 trail cams in the past 5 weeks. Every item stolen was posted with name and adress and was locked.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 AM

I'm in 505 (old map) & the no hunting signs I put up lasted 2 days. New ones up, but a PITA just the same. Have a pile of spares now....I watch the place close through the season.
Hope to catch the culprits this year...
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoban View Post
Could be locals. Hard to really say. I am certain that the private land we hunt that is being affected isnt local landowners.

Another reason I also do not taking public land hunting to serious. We lost 2 tree stands and 3 trail cams in the past 5 weeks. Every item stolen was posted with name and adress and was locked.
You would be surprised at what local residents will actually do.
Several areas I hunt in have residents known to everyone, but for fear of reprisal, no one will report them.
I have see the evidence myself, everything form small bucks shot to book class deer shot under the headlights in fields where there is no access.
Cat
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
I'm in 505 (old map) & the no hunting signs I put up lasted 2 days. New ones up, but a PITA just the same. Have a pile of spares now....I watch the place close through the season.
Hope to catch the culprits this year...
And, as soon as I've got them ALL, I'll sell them back to you at 1/2 price!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbProwler View Post
And, as soon as I've got them ALL, I'll sell them back to you at 1/2 price!!!
No need to collect them.....they are not meant for you ! You are welcome here.....as long as you like Coyotes ! No Deer here in the last 6 months or so. They have been hit real hard the last few years.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 AM

At least you and Sue's garden didn't take a beating this year then. LOL