Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Angry

Wow, I am pretty disappointed in this decision. I think he should have had the book thrown at him.
I can’t believe that he will be allowed to hunt in Canada again.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM

hey shawn can you update this on oct 19 th very interested to see what this d,,k gets txs
Old 10-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
hey shawn can you update this on oct 19 th very interested to see what this d,,k gets txs
Post #90 is the Oct 19th update from court.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM

Exclamation U.S. hunter fined for abusing ducks

Does the punishment fit the crime?
Would you have handed out stiff or lighter punishment?

An American hunter was fined $14,500 Wednesday for abusing wounded birds and boasting about his kills in YouTube videos.

Jeffery Burdett Foiles, 54, of Pleasant Hill, Illinois, pleaded guilty in an Edmonton court last month to causing unnecessary pain and suffering to a duck, contrary to the Criminal Code.

U.S. hunter Jeff Foiles has posted on YouTube a number of videos on Fallin' Skies showing him and others shooting birds.

He also pleaded guilty to multiple violations of the Migratory Birds Convention Act, including killing more than his daily limit, hunting birds from a powerboat and failing to immediately kill a wounded duck he had retrieved.

Foiles was also banned from hunting anywhere in Canada for three years.

The incidents happened near several communities around Alberta between 2004 and 2007
Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Do you have a link to the video?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM

I think if someone comes into Canada to enjoy our hunting/fishing and commits a regulations violation to the extent he did they shouldn't be allowed to enjoy them sports in Canada anymore. I think the fine and 3 year ban is very light.

We have a bad enough problem with some locals committing crimes that we don't need to be worrying about visitors doing the same thing.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM

A search of his last name here will bring up all the recent discussions about this dirtbag.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Wow, I am pretty disappointed in this decision. I think he should have had the book thrown at him.
I can’t believe that he will be allowed to hunt in Canada again.

Well he has a criminal record now, so it will be hard for him to even come to Canada for a while at least.

I wonder if he was always a douche or just slowly went from a decent hunter to professional idiot.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM

EXTREMELY new to hunting, and this is alarming news ... sigghhh ...

Anyway: I send an E-Mail to BigFoot expressing my concerns ...

Nevertheless, I would like to suggest that if BigFoot does not make any public statement to the hunting community, in which they clearly state that the behavior of Jeff Foils is completely unacceptable and that BigFoot Decoy is going to detach it's name from Jeff Foiles name in any way possible etc... etc...

If they do not do this, the “Alberta Hunting Community” should take further action and officially request the major players Cabela's, WholeSaleSports, BassPro etc ... to actively boycot BigFoot Decoy products in their stores.

Not sure if there is an “Official representation of the Alberta Hunting community” but I would assume so :-) --> like I said: EXTREMELY new to hunting :-)

Dirk
Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
A search of his last name here will bring up all the recent discussions about this dirtbag.
I was aware of the previous discussion however his sentence was handed down today and that was what I was asking about.

Personally I think it should be a lifetime ban on fishing and hunting in our country in addition to a ban on entering into Canada.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Exclamation

Here is another press release from today:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang...6-0CCE164B651C

News Release
United States Poacher Fined for Violations of Canadian Laws While Hunting Waterfowl

EDMONTON, Alta.
-- October 19, 2011 --

Jeffrey Foiles, of Pleasant Hill, Illinois, was fined a total of $14,500 today in Edmonton Provincial Court on five counts of violations against Canadian law protecting migratory birds, and one count under the Criminal Code of Canada. Foiles had pleaded guilty on September 14, 2011, to committing the violations between 2004 and 2007 while hunting waterfowl and filming a series of commercial hunting videos in Canada.

Foiles, through his companies; Straight Meat, and Foiles Migrators, produces and sells many waterfowl hunting products, including duck and goose calls, blinds, clothing and waterfowl hunting videos. One video, "Fallen Skies 5", is a hunting video that includes a large portion of the footage shot in Alberta in 2007.

Under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994, the specific counts and fines include:

•taking over the daily bag limit of geese ($4000);
•taking over the daily bag limit of ducks, ($4000);
•hunting from a moving boat or boat under power ($3000);
•failing to immediately make every reasonable effort to retrieve a migratory game bird ($1000); and
•failing, after retrieving a migratory game bird, to immediately kill the bird ($1000).
Foiles was also fined $1500 for causing unnecessary pain and suffering to a bird contrary to the Criminal Code.

Environment Canada's enforcement officers worked with the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) to investigate this file. The two agencies gathered evidence through an extensive investigation that led to charges in both Canada and the United States.

Foiles was also sentenced on September 21, 2011, on charges in the United States.

Environment Canada has created a subscription service to help the public stay current with what the Government of Canada is doing to protect our natural environment. Subscribing to Environment Canada's Enforcement Notifications is easy, and free. Sign up today.

For more information, please contact:

Media Relations
Environment Canada
819-934-8008

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Arrow Should Have Been A Lifetime Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Personally I think it should be a lifetime ban on fishing and hunting in our country in addition to a ban on entering into Canada.

Mr Conservation
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM

I just read about this guy, what a dick. Sounds like he is a sick individual, very cruel. Should be a lifetime ban with that fine.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:34 PM

theres a look at our justice system, pointless system we do have, bet if we went down to the u.s.a hunting ducks tourturing animals well hunting we wouled probably get a lifetime in jail and 100 thousand in fines but here you can do anything you want and just get a poke on the arm for poaching and torturing animals, we probably have the worst justice system in the world and thats why everyones laughing at us.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/us+c...459/story.html
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM

As far as I am concerned, he should have been hit much harder than that.
A lifetime ban on entering Canada would have been a great start.
14 grand would not be much of a deterrent to a meathead like him.
Very light, but not a suprise.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 PM

"During one of his videotaped hunts in Alberta in 2007, Foiles is seen holding up a wounded duck he calls "Mrs. Mallard." He wrenches its neck and opens its mouth while making quacking noises.

In another hunt videotaped the next day, Foiles manipulates a wounded duck for four minutes, whacking it on the head with a duck call, covering its head with an empty shell box and playing peek-a-boo. He later places his fingers over the bird's nostrils and holds its beak closed while asking "Is this how you want to die?"

The cameraman is heard urging Foiles to kill the duck in a tone that suggests he doesn't think his antics are funny."

This quote was off one of the news website. This guy is a tool I think he should have lost is right to hunt forever! I wish he would have recieved a stiffer penalty.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecourtwolverine View Post
A quote from Alberta Trophy Hunts website........

Wingshooting at Alberta Trophy Hunts is as good as it gets. Ask Jeff Foiles. For the past four seasons Jeff has filmed his "Fallen Skies" series with us. The "Follow the Flight" television series by Final Approach has filmed several shows here also.
That sure sounds like they were working together. A guide saying that he filmed "with" them.
OK Apos folks. What penalty is coming to ATH?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM

What a TOOL. I think all of us water fowlers should all get a turn whacking him in the head with our duck calls!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 PM

What was he actually convicted of? Stories mention a bunch of charges but the only one they actually describe is the "cruelty" one where he makes it appear as if the duck is talking, and swings it around. Whether the penalty was appropriate sort of depends on what the other charges were that he was convicted of.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

The money seems fair but I 'd be happier if he was simply banned for life and shown the border.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM

He still faces charges in the US I believe. Hope it all comes out down there and he pays through his bill!
Nothing worse than a hunter who doesn't respect his game. If he likes that end of it, he should be given a job on the end of the line at the chicken farm. Wouldn't have time to play
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
rem300wsm

open up season on that s.o.b
Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Do you have a link to the video?
Link; http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/us+c...459/story.html

Torturing wounded animals is but one of 'many' charges that have been laid against this slime-ball ... in both Canada and the US!

TF
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Posted previously on this topic. Don't get too smug here. Very bad taste, but this could very well be you, next time you finish a wounded bird and some tree hugger happens to see you. Very nice to sit back and be self righteous, but cases like this set precedents and you could very well be the next one who'se name is in the paper. Remember those 500 or whatever, Syncrude ducks ? Absolutely no consequence in the big scheme of things, but cost a couple of million bucks and who knows how the publicity will affect resource development in Alberta.

Grizz
Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 AM

For what it's worth, this is Jeff Foiles' website - http://www.foilesstraitmeat.com/home

Hmmm ... I see that his website has a forum! Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

TF

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-20-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 AM

keep letting them come across the line
Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Ditto...plus I would have liked to see him cough up closer to $50k...could have paid most of an a new CO's wages for a year.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
For what it's worth, this is Jeff Foiles' website - http://www.foilesstraitmeat.com/home

Hmmm ... I see that his website has a forum! Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

TF
I am...damn, its not loading...wonder if traffic is suddenly up?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

I wonder how many others like this guy are running around in Alberta?