Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 02:28 PM

Default Fridge not working

So we have a Samsung fridge that is only about 3yrs old and it is no long working. Sunday morning it was making a vibrating/whirring type noise. Unplugged it, plugged it back in. Came home last night and went to grab something out of the freezer and the food is thawing. Any suggestions what to look for? Easy fix or new fridge?
Old 07-07-2020, 02:34 PM

Samsung makes good phones and computer stuff but I heard that their kitchen appliances do not have a long lifespan.
I have no clue where you are, but in Lethbridge, Pete's Appliances provided good service for appliances (at least he did when I lived there)
My son delivers furniture and appliances for a major retailer. He said that a lot of the appliances currently sold has a very limited lifespan and most of it is not worth fixing when it quits. Sad reality...…
good luck
Old 07-07-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Samsung makes good phones and computer stuff but I heard that their kitchen appliances do not have a long lifespan.
I have no clue where you are, but in Lethbridge, Pete's Appliances provided good service for appliances (at least he did when I lived there)
My son delivers furniture and appliances for a major retailer. He said that a lot of the appliances currently sold has a very limited lifespan and most of it is not worth fixing when it quits. Sad reality...…
good luck
We’re in the Lloydminster area. Frustrating part is that the 15yrd old fridge that I replaced is working fine as a beer fridge. I guess it’s time to take out the beer and fill it with food till I get the Samsung working again.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Not sure if this will help but I have a Maytag and the fins where the freon runs through are under the fridge and some times they get packed with dust and if you have cats or dogs it will collect hair and fur on the fins also. Vacuum cleaner and a long rounded skinny brush will clean em up. Might help
Old 07-07-2020, 02:45 PM

Check your owners manual, should still have full parts warranty for ten years, only 12 months for parts and labour but parts are expensive. Samsung makes absolute crap for appliances. Many stores won't sell them and many repair places have quit doing warranty work for them because of all the problems. Unfortunately for you none of that is useful to know at this point.

Find the local Samsung Warranty depot and get them to fix it. If you fix it yourself your parts warranty is void. If you didn't register the fridge when you bought it I suggest you do that now, makes claims easier. We had a fridge from Kitchenaide that had a 12 year parts warranty. At 11 years 6 months compressor and a bunch of other stuff went out. They no longer had parts, they gave me just about 40% of the price of a new fridge, in cash, as settlement for not being able to fix it under warranty.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-07-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:53 PM

Had something similar happen earlier this year. Turned out to be a bad Start relay for the compressor.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

my fridge did this years ago..pulled it out....took off the back panel and there was ice and crap...so thawed it out....cleaned out the back end and then plugged it back in....ran like a charm so now every spring all appliances get pulled out and cleaned up...got a lab and two cats....hair gets in the back of these appliances along with other WTF is that!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-07-2020, 03:34 PM

We have a Samsung fridge, maybe 3 years old. One of the worst appliances we have ever owned.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
So we have a Samsung fridge that is only about 3yrs old and it is no long working. Sunday morning it was making a vibrating/whirring type noise. Unplugged it, plugged it back in. Came home last night and went to grab something out of the freezer and the food is thawing. Any suggestions what to look for? Easy fix or new fridge?
Check the coil fan. May have taken in something and is being blocked
Old 07-07-2020, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the tips. Pulled the back off and it was pretty clean. Minimal dust on the coils. Plugged it back in and the fan is running. Don’t know if the compressor is kicking in. Put a digital thermometer in there to see if it’s getting cold.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberboots View Post
We have a Samsung fridge, maybe 3 years old. One of the worst appliances we have ever owned.
In the old days an appliance would last decades, not so in the age of easy money and replacement.

Grizz
Old 07-07-2020, 04:25 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
In the old days an appliance would last decades, not so in the age of easy money and replacement.

Grizz
and draw so much power too....also heat your house!

Old 07-07-2020, 06:13 PM

I think it’s hooped. Plugged back in and the fan started running. Fridge only got down to 9 degrees. Threw most of what was in the freezer out. Now time to see if it’s worth fixing.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:21 PM

Google your model number and S/N. Could be known problems or recalls. We’ve had problems with our LG stove. Mr. google found known issues that helped us out. Also found that LG has an in home repair program for a flat fee. Half the cost of a new stove was fixed for $175 by an LG approved tech.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:24 PM

I would be frustrated if a 3 year old appliance piled up.
I have a small Eatons Viking Chest Freezer in the basement that I purchased new when I left home 41 years ago.Not one issue ever.
Probably jinxed it
Old 07-07-2020, 06:46 PM

I bought a Samsung fridge, and it was dead on arrival.
I phoned the company to see what to do about it, and they said
"Did a samsung tech set it up?"
And I said
"You mean plug it in? No, I did that myself."
They said
"Well, there is no warranty if a samsung tech didn't set it up"

Leon's took it back, and I bought a different brand.
I will never make the mistake of a samsung appliance again.

I do have an International Harvester refrigerator that was bought new in 1951. It still makes beer incredibly cold. (It does spin the power meter though.)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Well, I just paid $225 for somebody to drive out here, take a panel off, count the blinking light on the control panel and tell me my compressor is hooped. $1000 for parts and labour. Can buy the same fridge for $1200. Pretty said that a 3 year old fridge is getting hauled to the dump.

Everything is made to be disposable now, but it’s the dirty oil industry that is ruining the environment!
Old 07-09-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Well, I just paid $225 for somebody to drive out here, take a panel off, count the blinking light on the control panel and tell me my compressor is hooped. $1000 for parts and labour. Can buy the same fridge for $1200. Pretty said that a 3 year old fridge is getting hauled to the dump.

Everything is made to be disposable now, but it’s the dirty oil industry that is ruining the environment!
that truly sucks....

Old 07-09-2020, 01:02 PM

How much are the parts, because those are still covered under your ten year parts warranty. Labour to install should be no more than 2 hours.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:06 PM

He said the compressor is about $300. Then they have to clear the system of Freon. Install. Recharge system. And we live about an hour from anybody willing to come out here so we pay an extra $100 or so just to drive out here.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

We have a Samsung as well, was a scratch-and-dent from Leons. I always keep a wary eye on that one, just waiting for the darn thing to fail.

Bought one at a garage sale, owner claimed it was good. Got it home, cleaned it up really well, dragged it into the basement, and find out it didn't cool. Turns out that one of the connectors (behind one of the internal panels) was not latched properly, causing an intermittent connection. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't tugged at all the connectors to ensure they were seated properly.

Too bad stuff doesn't last like they used to...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Had the same problem with mine in Feb, however it was 16 years old, needed a $165 relay but not available anywhere, even checked used guys in Edmonton, end result throw out and buy a new one, repair guy told me if it's over 10 years old good luck trying to get parts.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:37 AM

CBC Marketplace did an episode on appliances. They found that new appliances which used to last for 10+ years now fail much earlier and are not cost effective to repair.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:44 PM

Just occurred to me following this thread I do have a Samsung in my "assortment"...Took a chance on it, got it cheep from someone who just wanted to "get rid of it". Not a high end model tho - looked like SS from afar but is painted plastic lol, but good size n had the drawer freezer on the bottom and icemaker. Other than having to drop another $50 on a different bracket to switch the door opeing from lft to rt the stoopid thing has been trouble free for quite a few years...I am knocking on wood right now.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 PM

OP, if you're looking for a new fridge, there's a fair number of deals. Try getting a single door True brand reach in cooler. I think you'll be very happy with that. Providing that you have another freezer.

Lots of used ones available fairly cheap. Or get a double wide, put it in the garage, and put your old fridge back in the kitchen.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 PM

There are a few places in Edmonton and one in St. Albert that sells new scratch and dent appliances with a good discounts.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:51 PM

Thanks for all the input. We only have 67” of height for a new fridge so we are somewhat limited. We’ll probably end up buying one (not a Samsung!) from The Brick. Prices for what we can get all seem to be between $1200-$1600. Put it on the Brick card and pay it off within 18 months.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Just occurred to me following this thread I do have a Samsung in my "assortment"...Took a chance on it, got it cheep from someone who just wanted to "get rid of it". Not a high end model tho - looked like SS from afar but is painted plastic lol, but good size n had the drawer freezer on the bottom and icemaker. Other than having to drop another $50 on a different bracket to switch the door opeing from lft to rt the stoopid thing has been trouble free for quite a few years...I am knocking on wood right now.
Guess I spoke too soon…my Samdung up n crapped the bed a couple weeks ago.

On a side note, lucked out and quickly found this nice reasonably priced SS KitchenAid at the Habitat ReStore. Will see how this one goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fridge.jpg (50.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:

How did he test the compressor if at all? Did he actually test the compressor start relay or just look at an error code and told you the compressor is bad? Lots of YouTube vids on this as it’s a common problem. I would guess your compressor is fine but the relay is toast. Amre parts probably has the start relay you need. I would try that first.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. We only have 67” of height for a new fridge so we are somewhat limited. We’ll probably
end up buying one (not a Samsung!) from The Brick. Prices for what we can get all seem to be between
$1200-$1600. Put it on the Brick card and pay it off within 18 months.
$1200-$1600..naw thanks, you would find me here if i was me in this situation, lol.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-refrigerator...0202?origin=rs