Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 09:27 AM

Default Mosquitoes

Nothing ruins a nice day at the range more than getting swarmed by these little blood suckers. Thinking of trying a Thermacell and wondering if they actually work. Opinions?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:29 AM

I never had much luck with them
Old 07-07-2020, 09:56 AM

I've had great luck with thermacells. Wind depending. You may also want to consider treating your clothes with permethrin (check out the tick threads) as it is also a mosquito repellent.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:01 AM

Our daughter has had an aggravated response to mosquito bites, especially when she was younger. So, we have tried many different kinds of contraptions because we really like to spend time outdoors as a family.

The Thermacell has been one of the best devices for us. Also, we have used the Off fog spray to fog our yard - I just don't like to use it too often as I don't want to kill off the beneficial bugs. Plus it's nine dollars a can.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:03 AM

And we all thought Covid was keeping people indoors. Why is it that when Noah built his arc and they all came two by two and he had those two mosquito's he didn't slap his hands together. Damn fairy tales. I just make sure I deet up good.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Our daughter has had an aggravated response to mosquito bites, especially when she was younger. So, we have tried many different kinds of contraptions because we really like to spend time outdoors as a family.

The Thermacell has been one of the best devices for us. Also, we have used the Off fog spray to fog our yard - I just don't like to use it too often as I don't want to kill off the beneficial bugs. Plus it's nine dollars a can.
Pretty much my issue as well. I get a bad reaction to the bites. I see the Thermacell patio model on sale at Cabelas and was thinking of giving it a try.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

Same with my daughter--there is a reason you cant find a thermacell stand unit anywhere---they work well. As for the wind--if its too windy for it to work--then usually windy enough to not have to worry about mosquitos
Old 07-07-2020, 10:15 AM

Thermacell is one product that delivers what it promises. If you’re sitting by one and walk out of the bubble you’re attacked. Walk right back into the bubble and they are gone. We probably have a 1/2 dozen of them.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Thermacell is one product that delivers what it promises. If you’re sitting by one and walk out of the bubble you’re attacked. Walk right back into the bubble and they are gone. We probably have a 1/2 dozen of them.

Good to know. What model are you using?
Old 07-07-2020, 10:38 AM

I have an older version of the MR300 and it works pretty decent for the most part. Keeps the bulk of the swarm away (and by swarm I mean it sounds like you are standing under a high tension line bad).

I double up with the PiActive repellent as this year is pretty bad and it is also supposed to deter ticks.

I react from not bad all the way to hand swollen up, so if you do get bit, having the TheraPik helps if you use it within 20 minutes of the bite.

Allergy pill budget is taking a beating this year. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 10:50 AM

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...-0591286p.html
Old 07-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Remember sitting around having these things going?
Old 07-07-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Remember sitting around having these things going?

Haha! I still use those as well. Cheap to operate. I have a couple of the clamshells for them, so I can hang them. Plus it provides some protection if you have little kids or pets.

These are the Thermacells that I have:

Old 07-07-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Good to know. What model are you using?
We have a couple of the Patio Shield’s, a couple of the Patio Shield Lanterns and a couple of the MR300’s.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default Try Jungle Juice

My son picked up a can of Jungle Juice when we were cutting wood in the bush. It’s not oily like muskoil or deep woods off, it smells like green apples and it lasts a long time. It claims 12hr but I’m not sure about that, but I do know that it lasts way longer than deep woods off. Was out fishing with a friend, I had sprayed on some Jungle Juice before going out, he sprayed on some off at least 3 times and I was good the whole time we were out, probably 3-4 hours.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
My son picked up a can of Jungle Juice when we were cutting wood in the bush. It’s not oily like muskoil or deep woods off, it smells like green apples and it lasts a long time. It claims 12hr but I’m not sure about that, but I do know that it lasts way longer than deep woods off. Was out fishing with a friend, I had sprayed on some Jungle Juice before going out, he sprayed on some off at least 3 times and I was good the whole time we were out, probably 3-4 hours.
I still have half a bottle of the original Jungle Juice, when it was 99% deet. Still the best in my opinion. You can spray up on friday night and still be covered Sunday afternoon. Too bad its been banned here.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-07-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Maybe you had too much booze in your system from night before and the mozzies didn't like what you had been guzzling through a funnel and garden hose??? Just a thought
Old 07-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Maybe you had too much booze in your system from night before and the mozzies didn't like what you had been guzzling through a funnel and garden hose??? Just a thought
That very well might have been the case a few years ago, I got old when I broke my leg and since then getting drunk has become an extreme sport where causing damage to my messed up leg was a high probability. I am however almost to the point where I can slowly start back with the extreme sports
Old 07-07-2020, 12:22 PM

Be aware that Thermacell uses allethrin, which is a non-selective insecticide. It is toxic for human and bees and highly toxic for cats.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:24 PM

Pi Active repellant for me and mosquito coils. The coils have permethrin the same as a thermacell but way cheaper and you can put several out around the area.