Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 05:14 AM

Well done on your first successful animal with the bow Muirsy! It is a very different feeling of accomplishment compared to rifle hunting, hopefully you got the same vibe from it!

Thank you Calgarychef! Also, they truly are awesome bows! I see Muirsy is shooting one too. I take pride in supporting a western Canadian company, especially these day’s.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:47 AM

Congrats to all on their successful harvests. Momma and I will be eating well this winter. Poked him at 47yards with a jak hammer, he dropped 100 yards later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2020, 09:17 AM

Ckarky that looks to be a great balance of young enough bull for great table fare and a nice trophy for the wall. Nice!!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Ckarky that looks to be a great balance of young enough bull for great table fare and a nice trophy for the wall. Nice!!

Thanks brother, it’s not the biggest I’ve taken, that’s for sure but he’s not a dink either. we have one happy family. We are very thankful.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:01 PM

Great pics and stories fellas.

Shot this bear at 7 yards the other morning.
He was in a den, I snuck up and threw a handful of black licorice upwind of it.
Didn't take more than a few seconds and out he came sniffs the wind.

Put an arrow in the " pocket".
He made it about 10 feet n tipped over.

Hmm, can't get pic to load?
Old 10-01-2020, 02:45 AM

2020 has treated me well

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2020, 05:15 AM

I’d say! You’re stacking up trophies this year KyleSS haha. Well done man.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
2020 has treated me well

Awesome, congrats!

Old 10-01-2020, 10:30 AM

Impressive pictures everyone. Elk, bear, deer, moose. I “feel need” to crack out my old bow. Looks like “time” well invested. Congrats.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Had a pretty good day. My 78 year old grandfather got the biggest 5x5 I've ever personally seen and a friend got his first archery animal ever. Bulls died 60 yards apart

Well done guys
Old 10-01-2020, 05:38 PM

Great pics and stories. Nice to see everyone's efforts paying off in meat.

I don't bow hunt anymore but thought I would share a pic. A younger fellow I know shot his first elk first on the first or second day of the bow season. I'm pretty sure he won't post a picture here but I will just because I am thrilled for him. Packed it out himself too. (Blurred his face out for privacy)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
2020 has treated me well

I would say 2020 has treated you more then well. Congrats to you and your friend and your grandfather. All these bulls taken in open season? or Did you all have draw tags?
Old 10-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Well did it again last night. Got my moose and called him in, with a homemade birch bark call. Got home to bed at 2:45. Long night but worth it. I think I got him on camera making the scrape but I'll have to confirm it was him. Made at 2:30 and I was at the camera at 5:30.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Congratulations to all of the successful hunters so far this season!
Great pictures everyone!
Old 10-03-2020, 12:50 PM

Spot and stalk

Old 10-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Congrats Lefty... nice mass on him!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:30 PM

Default 2020 Archery Elk

Congrats and awesome job everyone. Here is my 2020 Archery elk, shot him at 60 yards and he went down very quickly.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:08 AM

Great buck Lefty!!
Old 10-04-2020, 09:11 AM

Here’s the buck I spot and stalked the first week of September, had another buck I really wanted but the character of this guy and the fact I’ve seen him around the last few years made it hard to pass up.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:38 AM

The moose rut was on! This bull came in to the call on a string right into our laps at 12 yards!

Old 10-04-2020, 02:16 PM

First archery animal.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2020, 09:08 AM

got this beast on Sept 10th

Old 10-05-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antler hunter View Post
got this beast on Sept 10th
Congrats dude that IS an absolute beast!
Old 10-05-2020, 09:42 AM

All great critters - congrads....
but Lefty, that's a Whitetail! Awesome deer!
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=clarky;4240349]Congrats to all on their successful harvests. Momma and I will be eating well this winter. Poked him at 47yards with a jak hammer, he dropped 100 yards later.

Awesome work man! Beautiful bull! I am always amazed at how well those Wasp Jak Hammers work! Always the same result...big holes and wide prolific blood trails!
Thanks for posting the pic!
Old 10-05-2020, 11:15 AM

Wow amazing animals on here!
That one elk is just a behemoth. Goodness gracious

Thanks everyone for sharing the pics. I just couldn’t get a clear shot for a moose this weekend and ended up going home with only a grouse and a good story of 2 hours hanging around moose.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:05 PM

Some great looking animals here congrats to all the hunters
Old 10-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Had the best hunt ever on Saturday...
It’s been a good season so far. My older boy got his first elk on sept 1 and i got my archery antelope a couple weeks later. A couple friends have their bull moose draw tag in our zone, so with the rut heating up, we were out looking for moose - or a mule buck for my 13 year old son, Matty.
first thing in the morning, we checked one coulee that we’ve been seeing bucks in - several of which Matty would have loved to try for. Unfortunately, it was empty, so we went in search of a moose for Scott. On the drive, i saw a bachelor group of bucks about 350 yards off the road, luckily, on land we have access to hunt. I stopped the truck and put the spotter on the window. Immediately, i saw a huge drop tine - that really got my attention! I zoomed in on the group as they walked away, and saw a bunch of junk on one side, and small typical frame on the other. Great mass at the bases of both sides told me this was a mature deer. I planned the scope across the rest of the group, and found another shooter buck - Looked like a 175ish typical with an extra G4 on one side.
I’ve had some great luck with mule deer in the past few years. Last year i took a beautiful buck in velvet that grossed 196 typical, the year before that a nice double drop tine buck. This year, i didn’t really have any interest in hunting a mule deer for myself, unless i found something with so much character i couldn’t resist - well, this buck certainly qualified!
We watched them as long as we could, but they fed over a rise and we didn’t see them bed down. After giving them a bit of time to find a good spot to spend the day, we parked the truck, packed our bows and packs and headed out on foot. The last place we saw them was about 1/2 a mile from the truck, so we hustled across the prairie, and fortunately, found them at a distance of about 500 yards, bedded in the shade of a small patch of trees. Incredibly, they were bedded on the upwind side of the trees, making a sneak into range much, much easier. We used the trees as visual cover and closed the distance. Ditched our boots at the edge of the trees, and crawled along the downwind edge of the trees until all that separated us was one small bush (about the size of an atv) and 30 yards of low grass.
Matty and i sat down to wait for the first shooter to stand, but the wait wasn’t long. The typical buck stood, and Matty readied his bow. Before the stalk began, we talked about what would happen if we got in position for a shot. My priority was getting him a deer first - so we decided that he’d take a shot at either of the bigger ones that presented a shot. He had practiced all summer, increasing his accuracy and draw weight to a point where we were both comfortable with his ability to kill a deer cleanly within 35-40 yards or so. He was ready.
The beautiful typical buck stood, but was facing straight away, only offering Matty a butt shot. I whispered for him to wait, but before the buck turned to give a broadside shot, the character non-typical also stood up - only 2 yards farther away! Again - i whispered to Matty that we had a chance at a double: as soon as the typical turns broadside, shoot him. If the non-typical buck offered me a shot, i would take it at the same time.
Anyone who spot and stalks these animals regularly knows that sometimes you do everything right - and the hunt falls apart at the wrong time. But that also, sometimes the stars align PERFECTLY and its like its meant to be. This was just such a time.
We both sat there. Bows raised (not drawn), and ready. Though it seemed like a long time, it was probably only seconds when the typical buck turned and offered matty a perfect shot “I’m going to take it, dad” he whispered
“Count to three and squeeze slowly.”
He counted, squeezed the trigger on the release and i let go a shot a split second later.
Matty hit his buck perfectly. The deer went 40 yards and piled up. Unfortunately for me, my shot wasn’t ideal - i hit the non typical a little far back. I still cut through the liver, but i don’t know if i was more focused on watching Matty’s shot or what. Either way, he went about 100 yards before bedding down. We did a slow walk to him and i gave him another finishing shot at 50 yards.
We had them! Two beauty bucks from the same bachelor group down on the same stalk! I’ve never experienced that before. In all my years hunting and guiding, I’ve never managed it. To have that memory with my younger son makes it that much better!
The landowner had granted us foot access to hunt, but also allowed us to drive on the pasture if we harvested an animal. We took some pictures, loaded the deer and headed home.
Mattys buck had a much larger body, and they BOTH had tons of fat. Super healthy, both of them, but i think my deer was older and starting to go downhill. He has incredible mass, particularly at the bases, and a big Roman nose. After chores were done that night, we green scored them - Mattys grossed 180-3/8 and mine grossed 179-3/8. Only 1” of difference between them, which was shocking to me. I didn’t think the non-typical would score that high, but the little extras add up

Old 10-06-2020, 02:21 PM

Wow, Sage. Amazing! Congrats!
Old 10-06-2020, 03:13 PM

Great story,with a beautiful outcome.Family memories forever. thanks for sharing