Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Default compact binoculars

I'm hoping to get some feedback on a decent pair of compact binos for still hunts, use in a tree stand, and as a backup to my regulars. Any recommendations on a decent set? Not wanting to drop a g note on swaros, zeiss or leicas.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2021, 10:22 AM

There is a thread running right now in the General section on Binos. There are also at least 4 that have run in the last two months alone if you search binos. A lot of great info in them. Here are the search results for Binocular for you.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=18119632
Old 01-21-2021, 10:43 AM

Default ... uh thanks ... I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is a thread running right now in the General section on Binos. There are also at least 4 that have run in the last two months alone if you search binos. A lot of great info in them. Here are the search results for Binocular for you.

looking for a more specific answer to a specific question. I will clarify... pocket sized meaning a objective under 30mm.

as a rule I don't go to the general thread.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:01 AM

If I wasn't flush with gear, here is a decent deal on an OBO as well...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=393822

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM

The makers of good quality binos doesn't really change by size. I have Pentax and Minolta compacts as well as Leica. The Pentax and Minolta are both very competent but they are not in the league of the Leica I have now or the Swaro I had before. Honestly, probably the very best compact I have is my Leica CRF 2000 range finder. 7x24, excellent glass, fits in a shirt pocket and ranges in addition to glassing. You can find CRF 1200 to 2700 versions of them used in excellent condition for about $4-600. The glass on those Leica CRFs are FAR superior to any compact from the cheaper end of the spectrum and way better than other RFs, except Swaro who has equal glass but not as proficient an RF function.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The makers of good quality binos doesn't really change by size. I have Pentax and Minolta compacts as well as Leica. The Pentax and Minolta are both very competent but they are not in the league of the Leica I have now or the Swaro I had before. Honestly, probably the very best compact I have is my Leica CRF 2000 range finder. 7x24, excellent glass, fits in a shirt pocket and ranges in addition to glassing. You can find CRF 1200 to 2700 versions of them used in excellent condition for about $4-600. The glass on those Leica CRFs are FAR superior to any compact from the cheaper end of the spectrum and way better than other RFs, except Swaro who has equal glass but not as proficient an RF function.
Brilliant idea, I didn't consider a rangefinder. I can justify a bit more $ on that investment as mine is getting long in the tooth. I had a pair of leica trinovids that were great for about 10 seconds and then the eye strain would set in. I stupidly traded them away. I will take a look through a CRF on my next outing to a store that carries them.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:55 PM

I have a pair of Zeiss terra 8x25 that are dual hinge, so super compact. I have nice full-size binos but these are always with me. They are really the standouts in the midrange cost compact binos. I am always impressed with them and think they punch above their weight. I would recommend them.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:38 PM

I noticed while reading the Access newspaper that Gobel has new Leica 2700R crf for $650. They also have a new set of Geovid 10x42 for $1800. Both of those are really good deals. Have a hard time finding used for that price.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

thanks dad
Old 01-21-2021, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
I'm hoping to get some feedback on a decent pair of compact binos for still hunts, use in a tree stand, and as a backup to my regulars. Any recommendations on a decent set? Not wanting to drop a g note on swaros, zeiss or leicas.

Thanks
I used my buddies 7x35 bushnells for years
20 years ago. Compact.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:16 PM

I have Nikon HG 8x30. They're quite nice. Extremely wide FOV. I use them for when I'm sitting in a tree stand, or not doing intensive glassing sessions.

I'm real interested in comparing them to pair of Maven B3's in 8x30.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
I have Nikon HG 8x30. They're quite nice. Extremely wide FOV. I use them for when I'm sitting in a tree stand, or not doing intensive glassing sessions.

I'm real interested in comparing them to pair of Maven B3's in 8x30.

I have Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and Maven C1 10x40. I did a review on the Mavens on here a few weeks back. Might be worth a look.

I have no experience with the Maven B3, but have been very happy with the C1, which are far better than my Monarch 7 optically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2021, 08:39 PM

In my opinion the price of optics directly reflexes quality. Yes I have tried a very wide variety .
Old 01-24-2021, 12:47 PM

Default Thanks for the feedback so far

I will check out the suggestions.

Not ruling out an upgrade on my rangefinder as a means of justifying a bit more cash out of pocket.

So far I will look at maven, nikon, zeiss Terra, vortex razor RF, leica CRF.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I will check out the suggestions.

Not ruling out an upgrade on my rangefinder as a means of justifying a bit more cash out of pocket.

So far I will look at maven, nikon, zeiss Terra, vortex razor RF, leica CRF.

Good list to check out. I would however throw Nikon out. They are not the least Honorable. They quit selling scopes and told all existing owners with no fault, Lifetime warranties, too bad ,so sad, sucks to be you, we won't honour the warranty. We also won't repair them at all, if they break, toos them out. How long before they pull that crap on their Binos.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Good list to check out. I would however throw Nikon out. They are not the least Honorable. They quit selling scopes and told all existing owners with no fault, Lifetime warranties, too bad ,so sad, sucks to be you, we won't honour the warranty. We also won't repair them at all, if they break, toos them out. How long before they pull that crap on their Binos.
Thanks for that heads up!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that heads up!
I actually have a Nikon Fieldscope spotter and Nikon rangefinder to go along with my Nikon HG binos. I should say, Nikon is tied with Spypoint for the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. I sent in my spotter in February of 2020 and did not get it back until December 2020. This was after numerous phone calls and emails where they confirmed it was being returned. To add to it, the issue was never repaired and there was absolutely no assistance or any type of apology or remedy for all the delays.

So even though the optics of the Nikon HG are quite good, I would never purchase another Nikon product.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
I actually have a Nikon Fieldscope spotter and Nikon rangefinder to go along with my Nikon HG binos. I should say, Nikon is tied with Spypoint for the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. I sent in my spotter in February of 2020 and did not get it back until December 2020. This was after numerous phone calls and emails where they confirmed it was being returned. To add to it, the issue was never repaired and there was absolutely no assistance or any type of apology or remedy for all the delays.

So even though the optics of the Nikon HG are quite good, I would never purchase another Nikon product.
Yes and if you ever tried to get warranty or repairs on one of their cameras it is just as bad. If I had not known their rep personally, the high dollar camera i had would have never got fixed. I own zero Nikon products now. Switched to Pentax and Canon for cameras.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:47 PM

I have Swarovski 8x20 pockets. I paid $400 used and they were on absolutely mint shape, they are 2007 production. They are the smallest and lightest pockets I have seen. 7.6 ounces. They discontinued them in 2015 though. The newer Swarovski pockets are quite a bit bigger and heavier (~12 ounces IIRC).
Old 02-01-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I noticed while reading the Access newspaper that Gobel has new Leica 2700R crf for $650. They also have a new set of Geovid 10x42 for $1800. Both of those are really good deals. Have a hard time finding used for that price.
I'm in the market for a new pair of compacts. Done a bit of scratching and here's the best prices I could come up with.

1) Maven C2 7X28 $ 265.00
2) Steiner Tactical 10X28 $ 396.00
3) Zeiss ED Terra 10X25 $ 539.00
4) Leica Ultravid BR 8X20 $ 1007.00
5) Swarovski CI 8X25 $ 1009.00

You can get a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks for $200

The obvious would be that Leica and Swaro are sticking to the fact that they are the best and not interested in a price war so take your pick of the two.
Zeiss on the hand are saying we are just as good at half the money so if you want to throw your money away go ahead.
The other two are lower end which I know little about and maybe someone can add a good story to add to the fray. Are the two by themselves worth that kind of money??
Old 02-01-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
I'm in the market for a new pair of compacts. Done a bit of scratching and here's the best prices I could come up with.

1) Maven C2 7X28 $ 265.00
2) Steiner Tactical 10X28 $ 396.00
3) Zeiss ED Terra 10X25 $ 539.00
4) Leica Ultravid BR 8X20 $ 1007.00
5) Swarovski CI 8X25 $ 1009.00

You can get a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks for $200

The obvious would be that Leica and Swaro are sticking to the fact that they are the best and not interested in a price war so take your pick of the two.
Zeiss on the hand are saying we are just as good at half the money so if you want to throw your money away go ahead.
The other two are lower end which I know little about and maybe someone can add a good story to add to the fray. Are the two by themselves worth that kind of money??
Zeiss Terra are no where near the ultravid or the Swaro cl. You can find Leica Trinovid for slightly more than the Terra and they are still a far better piece of glass. The Zeiss Terra should have never carried the Zeiss name. The comparable Zeiss is the Conquest line for Trinovid and the Victory line for the Ultravid.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Zeiss Terra are no where near the ultravid or the Swaro cl. You can find Leica Trinovid for slightly more than the Terra and they are still a far better piece of glass. The Zeiss Terra should have never carried the Zeiss name. The comparable Zeiss is the Conquest line for Trinovid and the Victory line for the Ultravid.
This is good information which I will definitely use. I missed the higher end lines of Zeiss.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
This is good information which I will definitely use. I missed the higher end lines of Zeiss.

Did you try looking through the Leica CRF and comparing them to the other compact binoculars for brightness, clarity etc? Since they are a 7x24 I find them to be in the same ballpark as the Ultravids in 8x20 for clariity and brightness, for about $400 less, plus range finding capability.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Curious about this assessment. I did a lot of looking around before I got my Zeiss terra 8x25s and most of the people on the birding and astronomy forums were quite taken with them (although loose hinges were an issue early on). I understand everyone can have an opinion and we don’t have to agree but not being worth the Zeiss name seems pretty different from folks rating them above the Swaro CLs at half the price. Generally the astronomy and birding crowd are even more invested in optics than the hunting set.

For instance... https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...8x25-a-review/

Granted I bought them and probably subconsciously have to justify them but I have been impressed. For a compact binocular that sits in my vehicle or bag where ever I go (I have swaro SLC as a dedicated set), I have been impressed. Obviously there are diminishing returns at the high end of optics and there are many out there that may be better but they were, for me, an efficient compromise between quality and price. As with all things different eyes may like them less or more and your mileage may vary.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:36 PM

Default I checked out a bunch

Zeiss terras - pretty decent glass
Zeiss victory compact 10x25 stupid nice clarity and great ergonomics...too pricey
Swaro- bigger than expected but beautiful glass
Leica crf 2400 (loved this)
Vortex razor rangefinder (not quite as good as the leica but nice)
Leica trinovid. Bright and clear but annoying focus and they are fiddly.
I have a few more to check out but so far it's the leica rangefinder in the lead.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
That was my exact experience with them with my ed50 spotter. The base plate got loose so I checked in with the warranty/service dept and they said they can't help but would sell me a brand new spotter at a small discount.

I'm on the search for an upgrade on my C1 8x42s which I was happy with but I need a little more power and will likely buy some 9x45s.

Doing my research first to ensure I am not missing out on any other good products which is how I came across this thread.

In short, Nikon warranty dept sucks.