Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Banned

Default 10 to 30 gal barrel? Where to buy

I'm looking for a metal or plastic barrel/drum to buy around the 10 to 30 gallon. The 55 gallon is just to big for my needs. Where can a guy find one? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:10 PM

If you search for "barrel" in Kijiji there are about 1,200 responses. I'm sure you could find some that would work.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:13 PM

Depending on what you intend to use it for, canoe shops sell plastic barrels around that size for packing supplies.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Do you require one with a top that opens fully for dry goods or one with a screw in plug for storing liquids?

About 8 years ago I scored about 6 poly drums from a jobsite. It was a large hotel and the drums were empty from the laundry detergent they originally held. The maintenance man was kind enough to let me have a few. They hold 15 gallons each and are pretty heavy when full!

You might be able to source something similar if you ask around at places with large laundry facilities such as bigger hotels.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Do you require one with a top that opens fully for dry goods or one with a screw in plug for storing liquids?

About 8 years ago I scored about 6 poly drums from a jobsite. It was a large hotel and the drums were empty from the laundry detergent they originally held. The maintenance man was kind enough to let me have a few. They hold 15 gallons each and are pretty heavy when full!

You might be able to source something similar if you ask around at places with large laundry facilities such as bigger hotels.
Yeah a plug lid or a full opening lid, either way would be great, 15 gallons would be perfect I think.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 PM

I have a plastic drum with roughly 15 gallon capacity that I got from a dairy farm; it originally held teat dip (used to dip cow's teats after milking) or some sort of disinfectant. It is perfect for used oil.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 PM

OK second question. Is it to store potable water or will something used from North Korea's biological weapons development lab suffice? So that people can know what to recommend.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
OK second question. Is it to store potable water or will something used from North Korea's biological weapons development lab suffice? So that people can know what to recommend.
It's to store alfalfa pellets in.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Check with a busy Greek restaurant - Kalamata Olives come in large, watertight, plastic barrels.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:19 PM

we sometimes have 30gallon grease kegs

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 AM

If you are storing dry pellets why not just go pick up a 25 ga garbage can at the hardware store .plastic or Galvanized ,with a lid
Old 02-18-2018, 10:28 AM

Briden Solutions carries these neat screw on lids that you can put on 5-through-7 gallon pails. They also sell food the grade pails lower on the page.

http://www.bridensolutions.ca/home-a...ckets-and-lids

Briden might be able to get other containers from Gamma such as the ones on this link. I think the products might be inventoried less frequently as they don't stack or nest, just a big volume of air so shipping and warehousing them becomes less appealing:

https://vittlesvault.com/products/outback-collection/

There are also these, though smaller capacity they can stack closer than round pails:

https://www.uline.ca/BL_8191/Jerricans

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-18-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Check with a busy Greek restaurant - Kalamata Olives come in large, watertight, plastic barrels.
Or one of those grocery stores that sell them in bulk.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM

uline.ca