Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Default Bear Attack

Heard this morning on the radio that a hunter hunting north of edmonton got mauled yesterday by a bear and is in life threating condition at the hospital.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Hopefully he pulls through.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/09/1...ear-swan-hills
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Hope he pulls through. I guess that's what's he gets for hunting alone. Too ba he had to learn his lesson the hard way. Just for this simple reason NOBODY should hunt alone in a remote location by themselves especially in the mountains. Anything can happen
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_B View Post
Hope he pulls through. I guess that's what's he gets for hunting alone. Too ba he had to learn his lesson the hard way. Just for this simple reason NOBODY should hunt alone in a remote location by themselves especially in the mountains. Anything can happen
He wasn't in the mountains. Said by Swan Hills.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
This was 9kms outside of swanhills probably a short walk from his truck. Get over yourself jesus guys laying in a hospital bed in an icu somewhere and this is what he gets?

Your a tool bud.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM

This can and has happen just as easily with 2 people.

Hopefully the guy pulls through and makes a quick recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Banned

I heard on the radio of an attack out of Grande Praire.

Were there two bear attacks in the same day?

Anyone we know from the board?

I hope the gentleman comes out of this ok.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Get a grip man...people hunt alone all the time, myself included. It isn't inherently dangerous even though there is the very small possibility that something like this can happen.

Do you have your hand held everytime you sit on a cutline....jeezus....
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Wow
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Really !?!?

Pull your head out of your azz.....no lesson is worth mental, or physical pain. Theres thousands of guys that by hunt alone and have been ok.

I guess next time a hunter gets shot by his buddy your gonna pipe up and say , hard lesson learned , no one should hunt together. Or a woman shouldn't walk alone !!!

Anything can happen anywhere , at anytime.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

IMHO enough of a "scolding" has been handed down....

I hunt alone all the time...both with a bow and a rifle, I actually prefer to hunt alone most times unless I am setting up a calling session.

Speedy recovery to the man who was injured.

LC
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Hope he pull's through. Best of luck!!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
As I posted elsewhere:

Let's see, there were about 150 000 wildlife certificates sold last year, so we'll assume 150 000 hunters that say do only 3 days of hunting in a year. Add in that this has been the first bear attack against a hunter in at least 2 years, so

150 000 x 3 x 2 years = 900 000

So the rough odds of getting attacked by a bear while hunting are 1 in a million (probably much lower).

The general rule of thumb is that a car drive has 1:10 000 risk of car accident.

So hunting alone is about 100x safer than driving around town (wrt being attacked by a predator).
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Give me a break, there is nothing wrong with hunting alone, many don't need someone holding there hands when we were out in the back country. He was able to get off a round which ended the attack, he had a 5Klm hike to get into cell phone range to call for help.

This is what happens every once in a while in bear country, it's just a risk all hunters take. The most important thing is that he made it out and is being cared for in hospital. I wish him and his family all the best and hope for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM

I hope the hunter pulls through and recovers. My prayers are with him.

Jeez, that sounds scary; getting attacked from behind and not getting a chance to defend. I hunt the Swan Hills and have seen some pretty big grizz but have always seen them first. This type of attack surprizes me a little.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM

I hope he pulls through and recovers well.

Stay safe everyone - be aware out there.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Swan Hills RCMP, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday, haven’t released any information on the status of the bear or further details on the attack.
HaHa! What are they gonna do? Arrest the bear? C'mon...

It is a ****ty situation for sure. I suppose there is always that risk, no matter how remote. But there are always risks, I know it isn't going to change my hunting habits...

Wishing a speedy recovery.

skinny
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Hope Rob gets better ,We quad in this area all the time guess i will keep the kids away from there for awhile.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM

I usually hunt alone, and yes, I assume it does up the risk factor a bit. It's a risk I knowingly assume. Just don't tell my wife that! LOL

Interesting that it happened around 10 a.m. I'm most nervous if I'm walking into a fairly heavily forested area in the pre-dawn period. As a hunter trying to sneak in you do everything you're NOT supposed to do to avoid bears.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 AM

To paraphrase George Thoroughgood and utilizing "English" similar to yours, "Whenever I hunt alone, I prefer to be by myself!"

Get a life dude! Preferably one that doesn't include hunting.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
To paraphrase George Thoroughgood and utilizing "English" similar to yours, "Whenever I hunt alone, I prefer to be by myself!"

Get a life dude! Preferably one that doesn't include hunting.
Who are you referring to?

sign me
-Paranoid guy who's post is right before yours.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Wow.....simply wow.

People have been hunting alone for YEARS. I hunt alone in the mountains and would do an extended 10 day trip alone if I so desired. Its hunting...its not war.

To say something like 'thats what he gets' is just ignorant buddy....the guy was attacked by a bear. This stuff happens. It happens to people who hunt in groups of 3-4 as well. But if you're ALONE you DESERVE to get mauled by a bear???
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM

Sorry Man. Should have quoted the guy.
Quote:
NOBODY should hunt alone in a remote location by themselves especially in the mountains.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM

I was fishing near Swan Hills on Sunday and was planning on going back soon so it would be nice to know where the attack actually happened. Can anyone comment if grizzlies are often found along the Freeman River and Little Smoky River or it is best to assume you can find them anywhere in this general area? I will work on the assumption it's the latter. I have my bear spray, air horn and stay in the open but don't carry a gun.

I didn't see any bear tracks on Sunday but after my own close encounter with a grizzly a few years ago I know that not seeing any tracks does not meant there aren't any bears in the area.

I agree with everyone else who stated that this person should not be criticized or questioned for hunting on his own. That was an ignorant comment to make. Best wishes for his speedy recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM

I hope this fellow makes a full recovery.

Hunting comes with risks, whether you hunt alone or with a partner or partners. The threat of being attacked by a bear, or a cougar or some wild animal is real. Hunters are quiet, stalking, use scents to hide their human scent and to attract game including predators, this is what hunters do. To blame the predator is wrong to blame the hunter is equally wrong, this is what hunting is.

To kill the bear maybe wrong as well, it did take off at the report of the rifle, it did not continue the attack. The bear didn't think of attacking the hunter, it was doing what a bear does, and that is stalk and kill for food. This being said if the bear is a repeat offender and I am sure the F&W will know this, then dispatch the bear, if not live trap and transport else where.

BW
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I hope this fellow makes a full recovery.

Hunting comes with risks, whether you hunt alone or with a partner or partners. The threat of being attacked by a bear, or a cougar or some wild animal is real. Hunters are quiet, stalking, use scents to hide their human scent and to attract game including predators, this is what hunters do. To blame the predator is wrong to blame the hunter is equally wrong, this is what hunting is.

To kill the bear maybe wrong as well, it did take off at the report of the rifle, it did not continue the attack. The bear didn't think of attacking the hunter, it was doing what a bear does, and that is stalk and kill for food. This being said if the bear is a repeat offender and I am sure the F&W will know this, then dispatch the bear, if not live trap and transport else where.

BW

This bear was doing what THIS bear does. Attacking people.

There are many bears (most) that do not attack people.

This particular bear Must be removed from the gene pool.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM

I hope he has a speedy recovery with no complications so he can get out and do what he enjoys doing again soon. This is a good reminder to all hunters to be cautious out there this fall. Between bears and cougars keep your head up and be alert. Hunting alone is fine, just make sure you let people know the spot you are hunting and take the neccasary precautions when hunting alone.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all your kind words fellas. Here is a cookie for all of you. Well if you were smart, and not naive and ignorant and only think of yourself you would see the whole picture. The attack probably could have been prevented if he was with someone else. Imagine how his family feels if he has one. Everytime someone goes out alone, they put their family in jeopardy. Although every hunter is aware of the risks of being in he bears backyard, why would you put itself at risk too. For all of you who have families and hunt alone, shame on you guys for thinking about yourself first rather then your family. At least with two people, you have way better odds of not being a target wether its a bear, cougar, wolf or whatever animal comes along. Stuff like this does happen, don't get me wrong but it's just foolishness to go Into bear country alone. Well hope your views change next time you get mauled by a bear and leave your family
For that one animal that is not worth it. Hunting is
More than bagging an animal. Being able to
Get out and enjoy with friends
And family is what it's
All about and too learn about nature. It's just a bonus if you do shoot something.
At the end of the day most important thing is to be home safely. PERIOD!

Say what you want...I just hope he is ok and maybe thinks differently next time he wants to head to the woods alone. It's not worth it!

Speedy recovery to you and it just sucks when something like this happense. Puts us all on edge.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one is more right or wrong. I just see life differently then most careless people. And no it's not because
Im scared or panzy.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Hunting is More than bagging an animal.

Being able to Get out and enjoy with friends And family is what it's
All about and too learn about nature.
It's just a bonus if you do shoot something.

At the end of the day most important thing is to be home safely. PERIOD!

Say what you want...I just hope he is ok and maybe thinks differently next time he wants to head to the woods alone. It's not worth it!

Speedy recovery to you and it just sucks when something like this happense. Puts us all on edge.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one is more right or wrong.
I just see life differently then most careless people.

And no it's not because Im scared or panzy.

Careless?

I'm impressed that you can type with both feet in your mouth.

Head into the woods as YOU wish. The fact that you just don't understand the pleasure of being ONE with Nature is no reason to keep spewing nonsense.

Best wishes to the unfortunate hunter.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 AM

@ James B

I am disappointed that this thread has been side-tracked to talking about hunting alone.

I would suggest that in most cases a hunters or hunters are in more danger traveling to and from their hunting destination on the hiway. That kind of shoots down your arguement about him being irresponsible to his family. I know when I get to my hunting spot and get out in the bush, I feel relieved and safer than being on the road.

Again, my prayers to our injured hunter.