Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Default 222 Rem. Magnum

Well I couldn't hold out anymore and went back and bought the Sako deluxe 222 rem. mag that I talked about last week. While I was in there a customer told me good luck finding ammo. I found a shop that had 6 boxes and I bought them all. But he was the only one in town I found with any. Will I have a real big problem or is it just the time of year and not much of a need. I would be open for suggestions on where to find any. Has anyone ever taken a deer with this caliber? Thanks all info is appreciated.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM

It's going to be a problem finding ammo, not many people stock it. Hope you reload! Also it is illegal in Alberta to hunt big game like deer with less than a .243 bore diameter caliber.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM

If you take a deer in Alberta with that 222 you are going to lose your hunting priveledges, rifle, truck, a bunch of money and some personal time. I hope you are in a province that allows for it.
That said, get into reloading with the brass you have and you will be fine.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't aware of it being to small of a caliber. I'm actually from Mich. it is legal here, but I really enjoy chating on this site I have learned alot you guys seem very knowledgeable. I might have to reload but anyone know of any factory ammo I would like to hear it.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 PM

In that case your lucky to live in the US where several custom ammo makers make cartridges for obsolete chamberings. This place makes 9 different loadings for the .222 mag. A bit more expensive than store bought but still within reason.
http://www.cpcartridge.com/cpcart/in...dex&cPath=1_10
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Pretty sure the 204 is based on the 222 mag. Cases are plentiful and should be easy to run thru your sizing die. I have always liked the 222mag, and in a Sako it would be hard to beat. Check your twist rate and shoot the biggest Barnes triple shock you can stabilize - would be my pick for deer where legal. Or maybe a Nosler partition. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 PM

THANKS ALOT I checked that site out and it does have alot of different bullets to try. I might try their 140 gr. partioner for my .270. Has anyone tried their ammo? Thanks again you really kind of made my day I was sick when I thought I was going to have a hard time getting shells. I bought the gun without thinking alot about ammo. I loved the way it felt and looked. I'll try soon and let you know.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
THANKS ALOT I checked that site out and it does have alot of different bullets to try. I might try their 140 gr. partioner for my .270. Has anyone tried their ammo? Thanks again you really kind of made my day I was sick when I thought I was going to have a hard time getting shells. I bought the gun without thinking alot about ammo. I loved the way it felt and looked. I'll try soon and let you know.
Hope you have good luck, probably not many guys up here have tried the ammo, too much paperwork, most of those smaller ammo companies don't mail order export to Canada. I think you will like your rifle , they are great rifles.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
Nolser bullets are great! as Bushrat has pointed out there isnt a lot of Nolser loaded ammo up here and when you do find it its expensive. Their cases are of great quality, but for me I use Winchester or Remington brass for most of my reloading. Its cheap, and I tend to lose it when hunting.