Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Default Another Dealer Rip Off

Well another what the.... moment.

GF broke the door handle on her 2012 Rouge. I called the stealership & got a price for OEM handle. Yup $300.00 & 2 days to get one, also have to pay up front. I am guessing $1000.00 labor also.

I bought a knock off from Amazon for $43.00 and 2 day delivered to my door.

Now I have pulled the panel & most of the inside of the workings for the door mechanism which is good for another story but doable.

I feel for the poor souls who cannot repair these things on their own.

Well that's my Wednesday rant!
Old 10-05-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post

GF broke the door handle on her 2012 Rouge. I called the stealership & got a price for OEM handle. Yup $300.00 & 2 days to get one, also have to pay up front. I am guessing $1000.00 labor also.

Now I have pulled the panel & most of the inside of the workings for the door mechanism which is good for another story but doable.

While I agree dealerships are rip-offs (specifically with labour), the Amazon knock-offs are typically "get what you pay for", the handle will with fade/break alot faster than OEM. But if you're willing to replace it more often, have at 'er. Yes.. I'm speaking from experience.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
While I agree dealerships are rip-offs (specifically with labour), the Amazon knock-offs are typically "get what you pay for", the handle will with fade/break alot faster than OEM. But if you're willing to replace it more often, have at 'er. Yes.. I'm speaking from experience.
I don't know about that as I have bought knock offs often with no issue. The Rouge has over 200k on it so it will most likely out last our ownership.

I am just not going to pay $300.00 for a plastic door handle, yes the whole OEM is plastic.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Banned

Weird flex but good job.

Was it actually 300$ and 1000$ in labour? The 43$ is a much better deal but probably cheaply made and I wouldn't expect it to be excellent, just wait until you pull on it after a good thaw and -30 freeze come winter.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:

^Yep, had a similar experience with a stealership a couple of years ago. Fan switch wouldn't run on low setting in my truck, stealership quoted me +/- $1200 for replacement control panel (switch, direction control and temperature control in one).

Looked on YouTube and found a solution. $27 part (fan motor resistor) from Amazon. 3 day delivery, a phillips screwdriver to remove 2 screws. Unplug old resistor, plug in new resistor, fan works on all 4 settings. Total repair time (other than waiting for parts) was about 5 minutes.

Lots of other DIY stuff as well. I won't go back to a dealership unless the vehicle is still under warranty.

J.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Google and YouTube have saved me a lot of money over the years.
Highly recommend people utilize these tools they are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-05-2022, 01:03 PM

dr. crentist;

Why would you assume a French (Renault / Nissan) supplied part is superior / different from a Chinese knockoff? I mean for the price difference give the el cheapo a try eh!
Old 10-05-2022, 01:16 PM

And I’ve always found that DIY saves the labour cost, allowing one to upgrade the quality on the part, if it makes sense. But then again, piknpull is a vast resource. My last quote was an upper control arm replace at $650. Right, the part was $150 and I did it in under an hour.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
dr. crentist;

Why would you assume a French (Renault / Nissan) supplied part is superior / different from a Chinese knockoff? I mean for the price difference give the el cheapo a try eh!
Good chance the OEM one is made in China also.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:29 PM

Had the glass crack on in my driver's side mirror, 2018 F150 tow mirror. Can't replace just the glass from the dealer, would have to replace the entire mirror assembly/housing for $1000, which was also on backorder to Christ comes around again. Found the glass with backing plate on eBay for $45, can't tell the difference. Quick YouTube video on how to remove the old one and had it swapped out in under 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I don't know about that as I have bought knock offs often with no issue. The Rouge has over 200k on it so it will most likely out last our ownership.

I am just not going to pay $300.00 for a plastic door handle, yes the whole OEM is plastic.
Hmm I’ve bought aftermarket and while cheaper you can tell their quality isn’t the same. Sure everything fits but it’s hardly drop in. You always have to do a bit of adjusting. The major issue is whatever the point of connection is be it a screw or bolt they are generally not aligned or bored out to the right size.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Hmm I’ve bought aftermarket and while cheaper you can tell their quality isn’t the same. Sure everything fits but it’s hardly drop in. You always have to do a bit of adjusting. The major issue is whatever the point of connection is be it a screw or bolt they are generally not aligned or bored out to the right size.
Well we are going to find out tomorrow and like I said the oem part is all plastic where the contact is.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post
Weird flex but good job.

Was it actually 300$ and 1000$ in labour? The 43$ is a much better deal but probably cheaply made and I wouldn't expect it to be excellent, just wait until you pull on it after a good thaw and -30 freeze come winter.
I must admit I do not know the labor cost but I don't think you can get anything like that done at a dealer without a flat rate. The part was quoted $300.00.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

O
100%, I do the work on my Jetta & the Rouge unless it is very technical and requiring diagnostic equipment. I did the fluid change on the CVT transmission for the price of the oil. Do not even want to know a dealer price.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:00 PM

I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado. Right side mirror casing broke and mirror cracked real bad. Got mirror taped in for now ( a year ) later still
thing is OEM replace is a minimum $450 last year. It's got heat, foldable, signal, dims from headlights, power adjust and maybe something else. Hard to find exact one new elsewhere. Problem is just can't take it off the door cause the wire connection is inside door panel. Not a nice job cause not a body man. Don't wanna break the tabs. Not cheap to pay to get done. Still might try though. ARRRRGGGG.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:25 PM

Rogue.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:35 PM

$1000 for labour? Holy. Being a tech myself, I'm glad that I know how to work on my own stuff because people pay crazy amounts for vehicle repairs. But 1000 bucks?? That's 5 and a half hours of labour at the highest shop rate I've ever seen. That's insane!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
$1000 for labour? Holy. Being a tech myself, I'm glad that I know how to work on my own stuff because people pay crazy amounts for vehicle repairs. But 1000 bucks?? That's 5 and a half hours of labour at the highest shop rate I've ever seen. That's insane!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I may have estimated a litlle high on the labor but every time the GF took her Rouge to the dealer it was aleast $1k for service. I am not a Nissan fan but she is going to drive it until the wheels fall off. So far 200+ k and i keep it running.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I may have estimated a litlle high on the labor but every time the GF took her Rouge to the dealer it was aleast $1k for service. I am not a Nissan fan but she is going to drive it until the wheels fall off. So far 200+ k and i keep it running.
Not sure where you are located but check out Northside Nissan in Edmonton. You can go online and Nissan Canada has list of dealers, many of dealers have pricing for maintenance on there. So Northside is $110 for synthetic oil change and tire rotation. Show $150 for a brake fluid flush which many Japanese manufacturers recommend or require.

Not sure how come your GF was paying $1000 minimum for service everytime, Nissan would be out of business at those prices.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado. Right side mirror casing broke and mirror cracked real bad. Got mirror taped in for now ( a year ) later still
thing is OEM replace is a minimum $450 last year. It's got heat, foldable, signal, dims from headlights, power adjust and maybe something else. Hard to find exact one new elsewhere. Problem is just can't take it off the door cause the wire connection is inside door panel. Not a nice job cause not a body man. Don't wanna break the tabs. Not cheap to pay to get done. Still might try though. ARRRRGGGG.
Went through this,passenger mirror is a different focus or con vexed.Cheap replacement wont have this so watch out.
Mirror glass can be done without removing the door panel.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=hogie;4565348]Not sure where you are located but check out Northside Nissan in Edmonton. You can go online and Nissan Canada has list of dealers, many of dealers have pricing for maintenance on there. So Northside is $110 for synthetic oil change and tire rotation. Show $150 for a brake fluid flush which many Japanese manufacturers recommend or require.

Not sure how come your GF was paying $1000 minimum for service everytime, Nissan would be out of business at those prices.[/QUOTE

Ok not every time but they always tried to up sale her. Also I buy synthetic for the Rouge & Euro for my Jetta ahead of time when on sale. I can do the Rouge for $40.00 & my Jetta the same.

But get an issue like a broken door handle and away we go.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:45 AM

OEM Belt tensioner from dealership 650....made in China.
From Napa it was $250 and made in......Canada.....surprise.
And the Canadian made one.....side by side.....was vastly superior.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Where you able to find the exact same part cheaper elsewhere? If not, rip off and expensive aren't necessarily the same thing.
Will find out today as it has been delivered today as promised. (2 days).

I have done some research & the OEM has an aluminum pivot point with a plastic latch. The knock off says aluminum & plastic but some feed back said all plastic on some.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:

This!

Vehicles, Lawn mowers, clothes washer/dryer, dishwashers. There is a YouTube channel/video for almost everything out there.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:10 AM

IF you think that is bad, try getting a part for a Honda, say a windshield washer sprayer nozzle for a Honda Odyssey, for instance.

I could not find the part on Rock Auto, on Parts King, or from any Autobody supply store.

Honda had a $50 minimum parts Order policy. Cost was 52.50 plus GST. The part itself was $2.50 and is nothing more than the nozzle head with snap in tabs with the washer hose nipple, which is the part that broke off.

They did offer me a coffee while they went to get the part from the back of the parts counter though....

Drewski
Old 10-06-2022, 12:14 PM

Sounds like you got a smoking deal! Considering the cost of coffee these days….
I hope you filled up your thermos!
Old 10-06-2022, 03:53 PM

Did the timing belt, water pump and tensioner on my civic. OEM parts would have cost me over $600. Did some research and some shmoozing with a Honda tech. Bought the parts from Rock Auto. Key thing to look for is who manufactured the part. Got all parts made in Japan. The water pump was exactly the same. Only difference was oem stamped “Honda”
Old 10-06-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Went through this,passenger mirror is a different focus or con vexed.Cheap replacement wont have this so watch out.
Mirror glass can be done without removing the door panel.
Every place I ask they say can't buy the glass (mirror) by itself. Maybe asking the wrong places and people.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:

This, but with a warning. Sometimes they skip the little tricks that can save a feller. I’m only saying this a a caution. You need to weed out alot of miss information to get the correct outcome. We make a lot of money at our shop by fixing what you tube or google helped mess up or incorrectly diagnose.
Good luck,
Tullfan.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
This, but with a warning. Sometimes they skip the little tricks that can save a feller. I’m only saying this a a caution. You need to weed out alot of miss information to get the correct outcome. We make a lot of money at our shop by fixing what you tube or google helped mess up or incorrectly diagnose.
Good luck,
Tullfan.
This man knows.