Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 09:06 PM

Default Dave Barry the scammer

Got a call from the RCMP a couple of days ago and was informed that they have a suspect. Unfortunately, he's in Ontario, but they do have a warrant out for his arrest. Anyone from Ontario got scammed by him? The warrant's only Alberta wide since the complaint came out of Alberta. If anyone from other provinces start a file, they can get the warrants out.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 PM

That’s crazy he can’t be grabbed being in another province!!
Old 07-02-2019, 12:17 AM
Banned

They can get him there but won't. I have a friend in Edmonton that just went there to arrest a guy in Ontario. He had to jump through some hoops and be sworn in as an officer in Ontario fro him to do it or something like that but was serious about arresting the guy so he pushed through and got it done and brought the bad guy back to Edmonton
Old 07-02-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
That’s crazy he can’t be grabbed being in another province!!
What's even more sad is that the Alberta RCMP's policy about going onto a reserve that has its own "police force" seems to be roughly the same. I can remember several occasions where the Slave Lake cops were aware that a criminal was holed up on the Driftpile reserve and would not go after them.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:08 AM

Default Yeeeeaaaaahhhh... Riiiight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
They can get him there but won't. I have a friend in Edmonton that just went there to arrest a guy in Ontario. He had to jump through some hoops and be sworn in as an officer in Ontario fro him to do it or something like that but was serious about arresting the guy so he pushed through and got it done and brought the bad guy back to Edmonton
Old 07-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Phone the OPP and mount me's in Ontario and say you have a concern about him possibly being in possession of a "deadly and scary looking" firearm. If they still wont go after him write old sparkle socks a letter. He will send in every available police officer if it means getting one gun off the streets.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-03-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
What's even more sad is that the Alberta RCMP's policy about going onto a reserve that has its own "police force" seems to be roughly the same. I can remember several occasions where the Slave Lake cops were aware that a criminal was holed up on the Driftpile reserve and would not go after them.
Seriously?

So commit any crime then hit up a reserve?
Old 07-03-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Seriously?

Watch longmire. Its a mild idea of some if the jurisdiction issues
Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Seriously?

Well, I don't know if you can commit any crime and get away with it. Apparently this works with breaking and entering/ theft sort of crimes, in the case of a more serious crime I would like to think it wouldn't fly... I have been wrong before though. Not sure of all the cases, but in one case I know for a fact that the individual was not even a member of the Driftpile band, but probably did have metis status further south.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
As far as I know RCMP have federal jurisdiction. There would be no need to be "sworn in" in another province.

They are also the primary enforcement agency for firearms who would likely take the lead on any federal issues like firearms and interprovincial charges dealing with either the OPP or Local City police wouldn't they?

I'm assuming your friend is a law enforcement officer. I'm pretty sure the cops don't swear in normal citizens or private investigators or play cops nor do I think they would let (or want) anyone else making an arrest within their jurisdiction would they?

Assuming your friend is in law enforcement (with a real badge working for a real agency) - I'm still not sure why your "friend" needed to go all the way to Ontario to make an arrest - why didn't he pick up the phone and have the local detachment serve the guy and/or make the arrest?

Makes no sense.

Last edited by EZM; 07-04-2019 at 10:41 AM.