Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2024, 01:15 PM

Default urban coyote

10:30 this morning, this guy was standing across the road from my house in south west Calgary. Calm and casual as you please. Don't think I was more than 40 feet away. I know they're around at night, but seems pretty bold for that time of day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyo1.jpg (86.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg coyo2.jpg (56.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg coyo3.jpg (52.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg coyo4.jpg (85.2 KB, 157 views)
Old 01-31-2024, 02:06 PM

Breeding season.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:28 PM

Yup here in Lloydminster also just crossed 36 street, cheeky buggers, see them fairly regular in town, helps keep the stray cat population down
Urban Coyote.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:31 PM

Looks SUPER healthy. Must be lots of food around.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:32 PM

I’ve walked past them in the morning when it’s dark and they’re only a car’s length away. Didn’t flinch.

When they are this habituated and fearless it’s a problem.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-31-2024, 03:45 PM

They'll be getting even bolder.Pups in the den,where i run my dog.North of yyc,gophers are out.Alot of waterfowl stayed here this year.Every once in a while ,there will be ,a kill site.Feathers everywhere.I hope it isn't bird flu,see it frequently this year.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:22 PM

I usually walk my dog at night around 10-10:30. Every day I see this couple of coyotes in the same area around the pond area… they follow us but don’t come too close. Last year one came to my house window and was looking at my pup thru the window….. Pup was going crazy but coyote was not paying any attention on his bark… He finally moved away from the house to the sidewalk when I came out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1697.jpg (13.2 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-01-2024, 09:46 AM

Not uncommon in my area, although we started making some calls when a pair of them followed my boys to school, and the before-school supervisor had difficulty hazing them away.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:51 AM

I see them regularly when running my dog in a field by my house. I just got access to hunt them on a property just across the road out of city limits, so next week, we will do some calling. I had permission on an adjoining couple of fields a few years ago, and got five the first morning, with two set ups.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:10 PM

Coyotes have been cruising our SE Calgary neighbourhood day and night, all winter long. Pathways, open fields, and fenced back yards; they go wherever they want. I haven't heard of any pets being taken, but there have been a few cases of people turning around on a walking path because a coyote would not give way.
I don't understand why they always seem to disappear when they see my jacket?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-01-2024, 12:27 PM

Last Saturday while walking the dog mid afternoon in Terwilligar dog park, we decided to cut across the middle of the park to get away from the congestion. About 2/3 of the way across the off leash, and my dog runs ahead about 40 feet I call him back and he comes right back, just as I notice to yotes standing in the tall grass about 20 yards to the south. Leash went on and he was being held by my SO as we walked out. One yote headed south in a hurry while the other one stared us down while we continued out of the area. Others in the are were oblivious to these yotes, we told them pointed them out and they leashed their dogs as well.

BW
Old 02-01-2024, 12:33 PM

I get one every day around noon on the other side of my fence in my back yard right in Edmonton . Would be so easy to pop one with my 22 as my yard backs on to a riven. If he comes by in the next few mins , I will post a picture .
This guy would make the books just on his size alone . Been eating good on our cats and rabbits
Old 02-04-2024, 11:54 AM

delete
Old 02-04-2024, 11:57 AM

Little early today 11:50am
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1D7422F-2AD4-4663-AA7D-D83E7F9438DE.jpg (26.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-04-2024, 12:23 PM

Meant to post this earlier...saw this one same day this thread was started, was hard to even get it's attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (78.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (82.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (81.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-04-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
10:30 this morning, this guy was standing across the road from my house in south west Calgary. Calm and casual as you please. Don't think I was more than 40 feet away. I know they're around at night, but seems pretty bold for that time of day
We had one wander into our yard (also SW Calgary) during the afternoon a few years ago, but lately they've been caught quite frequently on our camera during the early hours. You can hear them howling on the park over the road

A couple of weeks ago we had one about the size of a German Shepherd in the yard. No fear at all.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
Looks SUPER healthy. Must be lots of food around.
Cats are very nutritional .

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-05-2024, 08:42 AM

Have a few running around in north Edmonton.
I see them at night when im walking the mutts
Old 02-05-2024, 10:04 AM

Not exactly urban as I live on an acreage west of town but I shot this guy sneaking into my yard (125 yds) and then 2 others in the backyard...25 yds. from the house.(no time for pics).