Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Default Long Term Disability/CPP question

Can Manulife force you to take early CPP in threat of suspending your disability benefit if not applied for immediately?
A return to work/modified duties/retraining is still the goal, but they just pushing for early CPP
Old 12-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Not sure but that would sure suck taking it at a reduced rate if you don’t have too.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Any insurance company will do anything to stop paying benefits including lie and threaten. If you go back to work to try even if it is not the position you were reasonably educated trained and experienced to do they will deny benefits after the effort because you appeared to be able to work briefly and the qualification period starts all over again. probably a fine print item that gets them out of paying if you qualify for CPP disability or at least a reduction of your benefits. I would get a good lawyer before doing anything. Getting the lawyer after the fact cost us 3 years and $4500 many years ago. I now dont do anything contractually (read insurance) without legal advice.
I literally trust what they tell me as far as I can throw them
Old 12-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Banned

I doubt that they could force you into doing that but I wouldn't put it past them to threaten you with it. A few years ago my Wife had surgery and the Doctor ordered six weeks of recovery time. Manulife started calling to see if they could get her back to work earlier. No threats but more or less hounding her. I finally had to put my foot down and tell them to bugger off. The Doctor knows best and if he says six weeks, it's six weeks!

I'm going to guess that this is happening over the phone. I'd tell them to send me written correspondence explaining what I was required to do and the repercussions. If they can't/won't do that then they are likely just blowing smoke up your derriere. If they do, take the letter to a lawyer and see if what they are saying is legit.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Very good advice so far. Do not believe anything you hear and only 30% of what you get in writing from any insurance company. Get EVERYTHING in writing. Do not accept phone calls from them, have conversations with them or allow them to converse by phone with your doctor, employer or anyone else involved. INSIST that everything is by email. Make detailed notes of the phone calls, what you dais, what they said, dates, who you talked to etc. to date. Also keep detailed notes from your doctor, employer and anyone else you are dealing with on this. Get copies of the medical tests, prescriptions, treatment regimes etc. from your doctor. Start a detailed file and keep a record of everything you do. Even if it is just from memory documentation is extremely important. You can bet they will have extensive notes of what you have said on your file every time they have talked to you.

If they continue along the lines they seem to be going, even in writing, get a lawyer ASAP.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 AM

I worked for the city of Calgary 34 years. I got sick in 2016 and went on S&A initially then at the time limit I was transitioned over to Long Term Disability. My company is Great West Life. They eventually contacted me and directed that I was eligible for CPP Disability benefit. It was not an option. They sent me the forms and I had to apply or they would reduce my benefits by the amount I should get from CPP.
I contacted CPP which can be a very frustrating process in itself. CPP approved my claim and I receive around $1100. per month. This amount is clawed back by Great West so the amount I get each month is still the same. The CPP Disability benefit is totally separate from my CPP when I begin to collect it. It will not result in any reduction in my CPP.
In addition I have a son in University full-time. There is a CPP Disability Child benefit for fully dependant children or full-time students. He get $259. each month as well. Again no impact on my CPP entitlement when I turn 65.
Good luck, I hope this helps.