Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 AM

Default Knee replacement surgery

Wife has severe osteoporosis, and is going to need a knee replacement, but it looks like it is still 2yrs or so, due to AHC wait list. She is on pain meds now, and having to take pain meds for the next two yrs, plus the lack of mobility and quality of life makes me start looking for other private or out of province options. Does anyone out there have any experience or recommendations about places where we can get the surgery done quicker? Cost is not an issue.
I've heard about private clinics in BC and Quebec, but have no other info.
Thanks, you guys on this forum usually have a wealth of life experiences that are invaluable.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:06 AM

Wife has been in line for probably 8 months now for surgery. They claim this summer, but when at clinic " need to take a number" may people in line. If want to speed up some patients getting faster surgery in hospitals in smaller towns than in city.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM

I tore my knee up and was advised by the doctors here that I would need an operation and that the wait could be 18+ months. I got copies of my MRI's and x-rays and contacted the Cambie clinic in BC. There are two clinics in BC and I went to this one as friends had their hips done their.

The clinic assigns a physician to review the diagnostic images and will send a opinion as well as a quote and time line back to you. In my case the opinion included a reduction in the amount of surgery required which helped me chose another route. Overall I had all the information I needed to make a decision within 3 weeks and if I had chosen the surgery path it would have been done within a month.

I am not sure on an Alb resident going to Sk. Sk has a surgical initiative that looks very promising and might be worth digging into as well.

Hope this helps

BC Clinics

https://www.cambiesurgery.com/

https://www.centrichealthsurgical.co...aign=Vancouver

SK - Link to initiative

http://www.sasksurgery.ca/sksi/surgicalinitiative.html
Old 02-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Knee

Just googled private orthopedic surgery Edmonton and there are several and they have them in Calgary as well
Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 AM

If she has already gone in to see an orthopedic surgeon then the wait time should only be about 6 to 8 months at most in Alberta. If she has not yet gotten in to see a surgeon then wait times there can be a real pain. It took me almost a year to get in and see mine for the 1st time. Then after that there are xrays and other appointments to weigh all the options, but once replacement surgery is elected it should only be a 6 month wait time as I said earlier.
I have had to have both my knees replaced since 2016 after walking on one with no cartilage in it for 23 years. So ya I can fully appreciate the pain your wife is suffering. and I wish her all the best while she toughs it out.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 02-27-2019, 07:52 AM

Default Knees

Appreciate all the advice. She is 11 months away from the 1st appointment for assessment, then the wait for surgery?
Going to check out some of the private clinics that people have referenced.
Thanks for all the input
Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 AM

In October I went to B.C. to have spinal decompression surgery. In Alberta I was looking at 3 year wait. Contacted these people https://www.gatewayhealthsolutions.ca/services and I had my surgery within a month. Price was about $15,000 for the surgeon and hospital fee's. Alberta has private clinics but it's against the law for Alberta residents to use them, for the surgery I had anyways. My surgeon is from Calgary, so we both flew to B.C., did the surgery and flew back. So stupid I know. All my follow up appointments are in Calgary though so that makes it easy.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 AM

I waited about 21 months for my knee surgery (not knee replacement but that may be coming in the future) and it affected my hip. Was tired of popping pain meds. I went to physio as well. It helped until strengthening let go. Still went for physio just for the Tens treatment 2 times a week for pain management for several months. After surgery I was pain free in my knee but still have that dull ache in my hip.

I had a friend that wasn't waiting anymore and went to USA and had both knee replacements done just over a year ago. He feels great. Cost him some money but was worth it he said. He will be turning 48 this summer.

My mother had hip replacement a few years ago. Took so long to get in it affected her knee, now she has been on the waiting list for close to 2 years for her knee replacement. Its frustrating for her at her age being restricted mobility wise and in pain. Cortisone shots have helped relive her pain right now but its not a good long term solution.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 AM

What are the costs for knee surgery in typical clinic along with hospital stay in US?
Old 02-27-2019, 10:37 PM

My old man has had both his knees fully replaced in red deer. His first one was a 1 month recovery and his second one was 2 months. They have a few surgeons that are the best of the best when it comes to joint replacements.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:39 AM

Default knee

Good news my wife was called for pretraining session next week, so getting close to surgurey after 8 month wait.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Go to The Healing Miracle for Stem Cell Therapy