Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 09:54 PM

Thumbs down My house is not happy tonight. Very talkative.

The temperature has been dropping a degree every 10-15 mins, supposed to bottom out at -35 tonight. The cracks and bangs are the worst I have heard. The sun was very warm through the window this afternoon but it was cold out so I imagine the house is still shedding heat.
A couple sounded like bombs going off or a door swinging in the wind. I actually checked the outside door once.
Im hating February.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-24-2019, 10:03 PM

My house has made more noise in the last month than ever before, I have gone to check a door as well.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
The temperature has been dropping a degree every 10-15 mins, supposed to bottom out at -35 tonight. The cracks and bangs are the worst I have heard. The sun was very warm through the window this afternoon but it was cold out so I imagine the house is still shedding heat.
A couple sounded like bombs going off or a door swinging in the wind. I actually checked the outside door once.
Im hating February.
I had a bad section of eavestrough that froze with water once & that sucka would pop & boom something fierce from -28 & below.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:07 PM

When it was relatively warm yesterday or the day before it sounded like there was an animal in my attic. It sounds like something being dropped every now and then, but of course no little footprints or such. Its thick closed-cell spray foam so its got a bit of its own acoustic thing going on compared blown cellulose or bat insulation.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:39 PM

Sounds like your house is a bit angry about the new welder... :P
Old 02-25-2019, 03:11 AM

I’m outside in the lambing pen, moms are having babies as fast as I can dry them off and get them in the barn. I’ve had enough of this cold, -35 here right now and I’ve got 2 girls pushing. Makes you question your occupation.

Craig
Old 02-25-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Im hating February.
Yup I hear you, was driving home from Edmonton last night -16 in Edmonton and by the time I got to Lloyd it was -26, we're lucky though as it's only -30 here now -42 wind chill, imagine it will drop a couple at sunrise in a couple hours, oh well spring is only 4 months away

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:42 AM

It's funny you bring that up Ken, I've noticed more noises in my 100+ year old farm house this winter than ever before. Some grumblings and groanings that have sounded like animals moving around, some low vibrations like machinery running or a vehicle coming in the yard. Almost eerie at times when you live alone and are not used to hearing noises because you can only assume that somebody else is making them!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 AM

Built a new home last year, it's has the winter haunt noise going on also. It's been a cold month alright, and can get to a guy. But I think of spring and my new yard of mud, and I not minding the frozen ground all that much right now.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
I’m outside in the lambing pen, moms are having babies as fast as I can dry them off and get them in the barn. I’ve had enough of this cold, -35 here right now and I’ve got 2 girls pushing. Makes you question your occupation.

Craig
I sympathize but take care of those little ones 'cause soon they'll be chops, racks and shanks
Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Sounds like your house is a bit angry about the new welder... :P
I think that has to be it, the house seems to get mad at the garage every once in a while. The house got a/c and a nat gas generator, but did the garage whine? Noooo...

The garage must be male, the house female. Little bit of jealousy there maybe?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
When it was relatively warm yesterday or the day before it sounded like there was an animal in my attic. It sounds like something being dropped every now and then, but of course no little footprints or such. Its thick closed-cell spray foam so its got a bit of its own acoustic thing going on compared blown cellulose or bat insulation.
I hear that too...…..newer two story...…….I have come to believe the sound is coming from my roof plumbing vent...……..ice forming on the top/inside and dropping down the pipe. Cold temps ice forms......warmer temps ice melts, breaks connection and falls down the pipe. Sound reasonable to a plumber ?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 PM

this cold and the ice its made is going to make for a fantastic late ice fishing and first open water bug and bait chucking for trout that you'll ever see, well, this year at least. more cold, more cold, more cold, please, please, please.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:50 PM

Yep several of the loud cracks and bangs my house has made makes me think a dozer is running in one side and out the other. Hadn’t got much below -30 yet. Glad I got my wood stove pumping heat����
Old 02-26-2019, 12:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Getting the heck out of this frozen area....lets the house grumble while I hit the desert and blow things up, shoot guns etc....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-26-2019, 01:33 AM

Here I was thinking you were all crazy, till about five minutes ago when I heard a noise like someone was trying to kick down the side door! I checked the security cameras and there was nothing there.
Had to come and post about it. Made me jump a little lol
Old 02-26-2019, 09:04 AM

House seems normal but most of my articulating joints are making some new and unexpected sounds.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
House seems normal but most of my articulating joints are making some new and unexpected sounds.
I can relate to that.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to question the integrity of my house. it's making twice as much noise this year as it has in the last six years.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:19 PM

A meteor just hit the house!

What a thump that one was, wow!

I am sure glad my bladder is empty

Old 03-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
A meteor just hit the house!

What a thump that one was, wow!

I am sure glad my bladder is empty
It's March 1st Ken, not April 1st But if a meteor really did hit your house, you have amazing internet connection
Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
It's March 1st Ken, not April 1st But if a meteor really did hit your house, you have amazing internet connection
I sounded like a meteor. Or a 737. BANG. Like a mad kid slamming the pantry door where there are no gummies!!!!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:44 PM

I'm a winter guy by nature, I love it. But I'm over this -35 -40 nonsense.

This cold is SOOOO hard on everything, vehicles especially. A good friend of mine busted out a bottom ball joint right after getting off the QE2 today. That's pretty ugly when one of those lets go. His mechanic said he can't even look at it for at least a week & there's no way I'm dooing a driveway repair in this cold.

If we could get a foot of fresh powder every day and zero degrees with blue sky's, I'd be good with that.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I'm a winter guy by nature, I love it. But I'm over this -35 -40 nonsense.

This cold is SOOOO hard on everything, vehicles especially. A good friend of mine busted out a bottom ball joint right after getting off the QE2 today. That's pretty ugly when one of those lets go. His mechanic said he can't even look at it for at least a week & there's no way I'm dooing a driveway repair in this cold.

If we could get a foot of fresh powder every day and zero degrees with blue sky's, I'd be good with that.
I have a 4 post lift and every tool you could think of, get it on a trailer and bring it here, easy fix.

And I agree with the foot of powder, I have this really fun payloader that is just a blast plowing snow. I plugged it in again tonight, just to keep the chill off. It would be nice to plow a half dozen more times this winter, it all goes to pay off the investment.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:56 PM

Chevy balljoint a piece of cake. I'd tackle that ***** in the dark and in a snowdrift. Just need someone to hold the flashlight and roll the joints.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:59 PM

No loud pops and bangs here but the door to my deck is pretty much jammed. I'll wait for warmer weather to get to the barbeque.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:03 AM

-32 and -44 with the wind

no worries spring is only 8 weeks away folks

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.