Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Wallet

My trusty old wallet is all but reduced to a pile of leather pulp....why is it that we hold on to wallets until the bills and receipts are all that holds them together?

Laziness? No. Too cheap? No.
I think I'm attached to the darn thing.

Who can recommend a premium leather wallet? One that will age well and last for 20+ years.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 PM

This qualifies:
www.tannergoods.com/collections

But would prefer to buy Canadian made.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

I bought one at Danier leather 20 years ago I believe, could use a needle and thread in a few places, but it still looks great.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I bought one at Danier leather 20 years ago I believe, could use a needle and thread in a few places, but it still looks great.
x100 there wallets are amazing
Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 PM

My last couple wallets have been made of tyvek.
It's less bulky than leather and it doesn't fall apart.
I think the brand is "mighty wallet" or something like that.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 PM

I think Danier Leather went out of business not too long ago.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:16 PM

Stan Groff Saddlery in High River. Fine gentleman, my last wallet from him is holding up admirably!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 PM

I picked up a CC Filson wallet that's holding up nicely after two years, got it at Canadian Tire of all places. I think only the Southland Dr & Macleod Tr one has them due to their extensive sporting goods dept where they have a lot of Filson clothes and such. The wallet is even embossed 'Made in USA'. I saw they had a few options there as I gazed through the glass display case (spendy) and saw a nice bifold leather thing that would make a good business card holder for my shirt pocket.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Banned

saddlebackleather.com

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/front-pocket-id-wallet
Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 PM

I've run in to the same issue. None seem to last more than 5 or six years. My daughter got me a Roots leather wallet for Christmas, it looks like it may go much longer than that but time will tell. Their warranty is great though.

http://www.roots.com/ca/en/mens-slim...r=022#start=60

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-08-2016, 09:58 PM

I have a Bellroy wallet. Super slim and seems to be of very good quality. Been carrying it for about 2 years now and is still holding up great. I had a Saddleback wallet before and found it way too bulky. The Saddleback cardholder is great if that is an option for you. Only downside is no space for cash/reciepts.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 PM

I have a fox wallet from when I was 13. 10 years later and it still looks brand new
Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Made in B.C. https://www.popovleather.ca/
Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 AM

Tandy Leather Wallet Kit = 10 years. Lots of styles and build them yourself.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-09-2016, 07:41 AM

A guy I worked with does pretty good leather work on the side. If I can find his card I'll forward you his info if your intereted

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
These guys!!! 100 year guarantee. I have a couple and they are solid as heck...
Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Whatever you get, ABSOLUTELY ensure that it's one that has RFID protection for your credit cards. That is a MUST these days. I've been with people who have had their credit cards scanned where mine weren't because of my wallet.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:12 PM

I switched from a bifold to a roper wallet 5 years ago and love it. No need to fold any bills holds everything plus more and stays a lot thinner. I'm a packrat with my reciepts and I can go months before cleaning out.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 PM

If you guys are wanting to support local and want the best quality product you ever had than look here: http://www.canadaleathers.com/1920x1200.html

Adrian Klis Collection, at one time you could only get it in Banff but now they do few trades shows and they have online store. I love this stuff and have purchased a few different things.

Last edited by lund17; 09-09-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:36 PM

If you want something local (made in Edmonton), check out Clo's General:

http://closgeneral.com/

Not sure if the one's shown on his website are a style you would like, but he might have other styles if you contact him. I had a backpack made from there and the quality, workmanship, and originality is amazing.

Otherwise I would look at Burberry's wallets. I've had a few different "designer" brand wallets, and my Burberry has, by far, held up the best. I'm not easy on my wallet and this thing has been tough as nails, and still looks great. The saffiano leather is incredibly durable and great looking also.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Adrian Klis leather products.

I'll second Lund17 regarding the Adrian Klis leather stuff.
Bison hide, locally made and seriously manly. Looks way better in person than any photo. Many styles so best to find a shop and select in person.

premium wallet. I drool over all their leather products
Old 09-09-2016, 06:04 PM

Not sure how long it will last for, nowhere near 20 years but I love my Big Eye Leather wallet so if it's time for a new one it might be worth a try. I think they are made in Manitoba out of walleye skin.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Banned

I myself dont carry a "wallet" and I have not done so for years.I carry a card holder for all the plastic such as CC/ATM/DL etc and I keep my cash/change in my pocket.Card holder is carried in my breast pocket of the jacket I am wearing or in a pocket of my cargo shorts.I gave up having an inch+ thick wallet in my back pocket that tilts my spine over 12 years ago.

I do suggest looking on Ebay.You would be surprised what you can find on there.

FTH
Old 09-19-2016, 02:31 PM

I ended up buying a FOSSIL wallet with RFID protection.
It wasn't the RFID that sold me, it was the racks and racks of different designs they carried in the store.

I was able to find a wallet that worked for me perfectly. The quality appears good, and what I would expect for a wallet costing $80. Looks like top grain leather with a distressed finish. Single and double row stitching.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
If you guys are wanting to support local and want the best quality product you ever had than look here: http://www.canadaleathers.com/1920x1200.html

Adrian Klis Collection, at one time you could only get it in Banff but now they do few trades shows and they have online store. I love this stuff and have purchased a few different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
I'll second Lund17 regarding the Adrian Klis leather stuff.
Bison hide, locally made and seriously manly. Looks way better in person than any photo. Many styles so best to find a shop and select in person.

premium wallet. I drool over all their leather products
Well, you guys got me. I didn't want to carry my Roots wallet all the time (I have it for 'travel') and my beater for work, which is pretty much blown out at this point. So I ordered one after looking at their web site, based on your recommendation. I look forward to getting it, hope it's everything you guys say it is! TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-19-2016, 03:30 PM

My wife made me a leather wallet last year. I couldn't be happier. It's better made than anything a guy could buy retail. Tooled to my liking and will last me my lifetime. 1-2oz leather cover with pigskin pockets.
I get compliments on it quite a bit.

If your interested she will make simple projects for AO people for cost.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:52 PM

I got in the habit of most often carrying my wallet in my Cowboy boot. As a trucker i was told years ago by a Doc. not to keep it in my back pocket. Very hard on spine when sitting for hours on end. It also lasts a lot longer in boot. I bought my last one about 8 years ago at Lammles. A John Deere wallet. Dont know who makes it but its quality leather and with money clip in it. Just remember to tell cop why your going in your boot when taking wallet out. Forgot only once, state side. Guns was aimed at my head real quick.

Question: anyone know how close they gotta get to cards in wallet to get a reading? In other words with it in my boot im hoping maybe they wont get a reading down there close to the floor.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Gone Fishing

This is what my gal got me......its strong and sturdy and all leather
https://www.shopstyle.ca/browse/mens...4030716653:fi_
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 PM

Default This!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I destroy wallets and this one has held up so far. You made your decision but in a few years you might be back.

Last edited by Knotter; 09-19-2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: too late...
Old 09-29-2016, 07:25 PM

Just got my wallet from Canada Leathers, (Adrian Kris), and all I can say is, I am very, very impressed!! It is every bit as good or better than my Roots wallet, leather quality, stitching, design....at half the price! Just emptied my old beat up 'work' wallet, and bonus!! I found my 'hideaway' $50, that I had totally forgotten about! Paid for the new wallet... So, once this is broken in, I expect I am going to be very pleased with it for the long term. Got a couple of heavy duty rubber bands wrapped around it now, to start getting it in shape. Very pleased with it, and will for sure be recommending them as well. TC