Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM

Kannon, the fun ends when you speak ill of Eddie Whalen. Both he and his wife Niaome (sp?) were/amazing people who contributed alot to both this city and province.............

I'm an Oilers fan for sure. However, I'm a HOCKEY fan first and formost. Generally, as a former player, I cheer individuals more than teams.

ie., I may hate Vancouver, but love Willie Mitchelle's style of play. I love the Oilers, but hated Bryan Marchment's guts...............and on and on it goes.

I cheer the team I've supported since '78, but I will not let that blind me from appreciating other teams that are quality organizations with stand up individual players. I just cannot play the 'hatred' game. Sorry.

Tree
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBuzz View Post

remember Jamie, This is a hockey thread. want to bash cities, start a new thread

GP.. You been around long enough to know Kannon needs to be put in his place every now and then And who better to do it than CAPTAIN CALGARY!!!

Tree.. PICK A SIDE!!!

There is no middle ground in the battle of Alberta.. Be it one sided these days
(Though I can understand as you are a bit of a import. You picked the right city to live in, but yet are drawn to that so called team 3 hours north.. SIGHHHHHHH) LOLOL

Go FLAMES GO

Btw, tommorows game is going to be great. Lets see if Calgary can once again compete with the best.

Jamie
Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 PM

Flames suck and have venerial diseases from incestrial releation. Since BUD and his union cronies do aircraft maintence, there is as very good chance that their charter plane will crash. Hopefully it is into Vancouver!

Jamie, I pick the game over the team. Game first, Oilers second..

Eventually, we should talk about tennis or NASCAR!

Tree
Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Flames suck and have venerial diseases from incestrial releation. Since BUD and his union cronies do aircraft maintence, there is as very good chance that their charter plane will crash. Hopefully it is into Vancouver!

Jamie, I pick the game over the team. Game first, Oilers second..

Eventually, we should talk about tennis or NASCAR!

Tree
They still play tennis???
Now we could talk a bit about Golf. But who watches when Tiger is not around???
Better yet, more storeys from your kids hockey would be great. Willys team is doing well, but he really wants to get back in net. It seems our head coach is saving him for Minor Hockey week. LOLOLO Saveing him LOLOLOL
Seriously all the kids get to play goal, but yet when it comes to Tourneys, we use the guys with the most practise. It will be tough over the next week. We have 5 games and no practices. So I am sure there will be a few games where some kid will just get thrown in. Its not fair to the kid. Perhaps next year I will be involved from the beginning and try and set a constant rotation. Let me tell you another set of goal equipment would really help.
Our coach has been really good with the kids this year. They have come along ways and you can really see it starting to work for them.

Jamie
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 AM

Yea Tree pick a side you fence sitter....lol....Ed Whalen was a GOD only because he was the voice of Stampede Wrestling......he lost me when he did broadcasting for the Snot Breathn Donkey Team...... I too would like to see ore minor hockey updates from both of you....but not in my hate-on thread...

Captain Calgary....? Bah you remind me more of Colonel Klink...completely freakn CLUELESS

ABC BABY GO OIL
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Yea Tree pick a side you fence sitter....lol....Ed Whalen was a GOD only because he was the voice of Stampede Wrestling......he lost me when he did broadcasting for the Snot Breathn Donkey Team...... I too would like to see ore minor hockey updates from both of you....but not in my hate-on thread...

Captain Calgary....? Bah you remind me more of Colonel Klink...completely freakn CLUELESS

ABC BABY GO OIL
CLUELESS??????

Perhaps you are thinking of yourself.. What ever happened to 6TH place by the All star break?????

OIL will NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

I will reserve my comments about Calgarys future till after tonights game.

Jamie
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

I will reserve my comments about Calgarys future till after tonights game.

Jamie
Now there's a devoted, confident fan.... Perhaps you are uncomfortable doing so Jamie, but I WILL go out on a limb and predict that the Flames will make the playoffs.

Oh yeah, and that's MISTER Smartass to you.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Well I am thinking they will make playoffs.
Its more how about how far I see them going. Tonight is a massive test.

Jamie
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Yea you Colonel Klink.....Im still the eternal optimist, the way they played against Washington gives me hope that and we have 3 games in hand....... we play Minny, Avs Phoenix and Columbus before the break I believe....time to make a move I says.....

GO OIL
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yea you Colonel Klink.....

GO OIL
This actually made me laugh. You can be a funny guy.

Take care
Jamie
Old 01-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Just tryn to lighten the mood in the forum James.... as a group we tend to fight amongst ourselves in the "off-season"

**DISCLAIMER*** Jamie and I always insult each other and our teams in this thread so please don't crap on us for whatever we say cuz were friends and its all in jest
Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Have to beat the best teams to win so lets get after it tonight.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Just tryn to lighten the mood in the forum James.... as a group we tend to fight amongst ourselves in the "off-season"

**DISCLAIMER*** Jamie and I always insult each other and our teams in this thread so please don't crap on us for whatever we say cuz were friends and its all in jest
Hey Kanon, do they still have those goofy signs on the southend of Edmonton, you know the ones: City of Champions and Oil Capitol of Canada, and if so, should they not be realistic and honest and change them to reflect the current reality: City of PAST Champions and Old Oil Capitol of Canada.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
should they not be realistic and honest and change them to reflect the current reality: City of PAST Champions and Old Oil Capitol of Canada.
If that were the case Calgary would have to change theirs from "Heart of the New West" to "The City that Fun Forgot. Enjoy Wasting Your Life in Traffic Jams"
Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM

LOL @ Black well my uneducated friend from the south, we are the OIL Capital because this is where the people that pull the black gold outa the ground live and where its processed.....hence REFINARY ROW..... also City of Champions doesn't refer to the sporting teams, its was a term coined by our mayor after the Black Friday Tornado in referance to how the people pulled together during the catastrophe....
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
LOL @ Black well my uneducated friend from the south, we are the OIL Capital because this is where the people that pull the black gold outa the ground live and where its processed.....hence REFINARY ROW..... also City of Champions doesn't refer to the sporting teams, its was a term coined by our mayor after the Black Friday Tornado in referance to how the people pulled together during the catastrophe....
Oh ok, I didn't realize they put up the Champion sign after the Tornado, Oil Capitol of Canada is a stretch, we all know the BIG decisions are made in Calgary. And I wonder why the Flames Org. has no problems signing there best players to long term contracts and why most of them stay in Calgary long after there playing careers are over. P.S. I was born in Edmonton but we quickly left for a better life in Calgary...
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM

The doctors routinely drop the ones we know to be inferior on their heads hoping it will cause them to move south...sounds like the technique is a rousing success!!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
The doctors routinely drop the ones we know to be inferior on their heads hoping it will cause them to move south...sounds like the technique is a rousing success!!

BaHahahahahah! Good one Kannon, that's freakin' hilarious. Stupid Calgarians........uh....... oh oh..........

I live in Calgary. Crap, now my head hurts.

Tree
Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Nice slapshot, to bad you broke your stick and missed the net though.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
And I wonder why the Flames Org. has no problems signing there best players to long term contracts and why most of them stay in Calgary long after there playing careers are over.
Think you might be off a bit on that one... look at the long list of ex-players that have stuck around and coached or run the Oilers. Only thing ex-players do with the Flames is PR and glad-handing (Lanny for example).

Last edited by Okotokian; 01-16-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

Not sure about it being the INFERIOR ones. But that technique is allowing you to keep Edmonton as the Backwater sewer you all want it to be.

You guys think this rivalry is strong. In the old days it was Okotoks and High river.. Now that was BRUTAL. Even now 25 years later I still have a small issue with folks from High River.

So this Edmonton born and raised fellow was Ice fishing one day when all of a sudden he hears in this BOOMING VOICE.. 'Aint no fish there.. So our fisherman packs up his sled and moves down 50 feet. Same BOOMING voice comes out saying "Aint no fish there". So the "never say die" fisherman packs up yet again and moves. Once again the voice calls out "Aint no fish there either" Now a more than a bit frustrated the Edmontonian tilts his head up and asks if this is God trying to help. The Voice Booms back..

"NO, I AM THE RINK MANAGER"

Have a good one boys.
Jamie
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM

An oldie but a goodie........btw isn't your wife from Edmonton???? I'm not sayn' anything here I'm just sayn'

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=Okotokian;247003]
Quote:
And I wonder why the Flames Org. has no problems signing there best players to long term contracts and why most of them stay in Calgary long after there playing careers are over. QUOTE]

Think you might be off a bit on that one... look at the long list of ex-players that have stuck around and coached or run the Oilers. Only thing ex-players do with the Flames is PR and glad-handing (Lanny for example).
Yes sir, you must be proud of where these ex-Oilers have taken your once proud hockey team then And actually most of the ex-Flames players who call Calgary home have very little to do with the Org. Gary Roberts, Theo Fleury, Perry Berezan, Mike Vernon, Jim Peplinski, I could go on and on but my point is the Flames org. is not run by some mediocre ex-Oiler players from the past, and it shows.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Okay boys, that is enough. Keep this discussion to hockey.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Okay boys, that is enough. Keep this discussion to hockey.

I read the above posts and it seems to me its the same guys having some friendly arguments and discussions about HOCKEY.....so whats the problem
Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 PM

I'd just like to say RIP Doc Seamen. He was instrumental in bringing the NHL to Calgary and was a true gentleman. I pruned the trees at his home for many years and both he and his wife were good people.

Tree
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Just watched Minnesota hand the oilers their asses!!Go Flames!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I read the above posts and it seems to me its the same guys having some friendly arguments and discussions about HOCKEY.....so whats the problem

Hacking on ones city is a friendly arguement??? With friends like that who needs enemies right.
Like I said, Keep it to hockey, not everyone likes nor sees the humour in this thread.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I'd just like to say RIP Doc Seamen. He was instrumental in bringing the NHL to Calgary and was a true gentleman. I pruned the trees at his home for many years and both he and his wife were good people.

Tree
X 2, he was a Class act all the way, many say the Flames would never had made it to Calgary without him, THANKS DOC !
Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Flames win, OIlers lose!I'd say it was a good day!