Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Default A little story - whitetail hunting

Last Tuesday the boyfriend and I went out for whitetail in 339, with no luck getting anything on the ground.

We were doing the whole "spot and stalk" thing, and we still have lots to learn and we made way too much noise and it's amazing we saw anything at all, lol. We've had no time to scout whatsoever, so are depending on plain luck to fill the freezer.

It was really neat actually, we saw a doe hop into the bush with her flag up, so we stopped for a bit, and called her with the fawn call a few times.

Right next to us in the bush, a doe started calling back to me! At least, I think it was a doe, I assume it would be. She was making this low grunting sound in response to my calling, and she carried on for a good 30-45 seconds. I felt my eyeballs get huge and whispered at my boyfriend, "what in the HELL is that!?" hahaha!

Never had a critter talk to me like that, I guess I sounded convincing enough. Definitely cool.

Boyfriend is out this morning, I stayed home because I knew I'd be a big bag of crap at work all week if I was up early this morning with him. And of course, today'll be the day and I'll miss it!

If he gets anything today, I'll add pictures to this thread. Cross your fingers!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Pretty cool experience! Good luck!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Cool story...... and hopefully your bf has some luck!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwalking View Post
Last Tuesday the boyfriend and I went out for whitetail in 339, with no luck getting anything on the ground.

We were doing the whole "spot and stalk" thing, and we still have lots to learn and we made way too much noise and it's amazing we saw anything at all, lol. We've had no time to scout whatsoever, so are depending on plain luck to fill the freezer.

It was really neat actually, we saw a doe hop into the bush with her flag up, so we stopped for a bit, and called her with the fawn call a few times.

Right next to us in the bush, a doe started calling back to me! At least, I think it was a doe, I assume it would be. She was making this low grunting sound in response to my calling, and she carried on for a good 30-45 seconds. I felt my eyeballs get huge and whispered at my boyfriend, "what in the HELL is that!?" hahaha!

Never had a critter talk to me like that, I guess I sounded convincing enough. Definitely cool.

Boyfriend is out this morning, I stayed home because I knew I'd be a big bag of crap at work all week if I was up early this morning with him. And of course, today'll be the day and I'll miss it!

If he gets anything today, I'll add pictures to this thread. Cross your fingers!

Low toned grunts.... Could have been a buck.

Nice story. A day in nature is always worthwhile.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Nice story. A day in nature is always worthwhile.
They were very low, much lower than what was coming out of that fawn call.

I assumed it was a doe because s/he was responding to my call. At one point when we were crawling along, my heat bleat call went off too, lol. No response to that, except that I laughed...we're not very good at this, haha.

We have fun.

Heh, if that was a buck, mr boyfriend's gonna get a piece of my mind, I wanted to wait, I would have waited hours to see what that was (because I had never, ever heard a sound like that before), and he wanted to go somewhere else. It's like, duuuuuude! We're laying in a bunch of tall grass with deer on both sides and one was talking to us, and you want to leave? So we left. Serves him right, then
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
X2

I was thinking the same thing. I have called in and run across a few bucks in my day they kind of make a "bunh bunh buuuuuuuuunnnnnh buuunnnhhhh" noise if that makes sense! LOL

LC
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwalking View Post
They were very low, much lower than what was coming out of that fawn call.

I assumed it was a doe because s/he was responding to my call. At one point when we were crawling along, my heat bleat call went off too, lol. No response to that, except that I laughed...we're not very good at this, haha.

We have fun.

Heh, if that was a buck, mr boyfriend's gonna get a piece of my mind, I wanted to wait, I would have waited hours to see what that was (because I had never, ever heard a sound like that before), and he wanted to go somewhere else. It's like, duuuuuude! We're laying in a bunch of tall grass with deer on both sides and one was talking to us, and you want to leave? So we left. Serves him right, then

Give mr boyfriend the gears.

It's that time of year. Hunt where the does are. Find the girls and stay put. Do some calling and rattlin'.

Likely the most common issue hunters have is moving around too much, always wanting to go to the next place.

Keep it simple. You're in charge now, and he has to listen to you, or else....
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
X2

I was thinking the same thing. I have called in and run across a few bucks in my day they kind of make a "bunh bunh buuuuuuuuunnnnnh buuunnnhhhh" noise if that makes sense! LOL

LC
Sort of The grunts I heard were pretty uniform in tone and length, and I've found myself referring to it as almost a "honking" sound, but different.

HA! Gotta run! DEER DOWN!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Give mr boyfriend the gears.

It's that time of year. Hunt where the does are. Find the girls and stay put. Do some calling and rattlin'.

Likely the most common issue hunters have is moving around too much, always wanting to go to the next place.

Keep it simple. You're in charge now, and he has to listen to you, or else....
Haha, darn rights

So, just wanted to post quickly before I left the house, because I'm super excited.

He got a little wt buck, well he's pretty big apparently but his antlers are quite small - he doesn't have a measuring tape with him but tagged it with his buck tag just to be safe. What do you call that, a spiker? He thought it was a doe

I wish I could bring my dog, she'd think it was the coolest thing goin', but I don't want to leave anything open for speculation since I'll have my camo on too, for the blood or whatever. Plus it warm and cozy an oh-so-soft.

Back with some pictures later!

*does a little happy dance* I KNEW this was going to happen this morning when I stayed home.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Congrats to you both. Sounds like you're 'hooked on hunting'!!

" I'll have my camo on too, for the blood or whatever. Plus it warm and cozy an oh-so-soft. "

Hunting clothing manufacturers who want to appeal to the fairer sex...are you listening?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Good for you guys!

Just for future here is the Antlered vs Anterless taken from the regs...

Antlered - A white-tailed deer, moose or elk having an antler exceeding 10.2 cm (4 in.) in length.

Antlerless - A white-tailed deer, moose or elk that is not "antlered" (as defined above)

LC
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Congrats to you both. Sounds like you're 'hooked on hunting'!!

" I'll have my camo on too, for the blood or whatever. Plus it warm and cozy an oh-so-soft. "

Hunting clothing manufacturers who want to appeal to the fairer sex...are you listening?
I think I just might be

They should start listening, those clothing manufacturers. Stop it with the pink already! Purple, I could do that...you know, a little detail here or there, some piping or whatever you call it. Always thought purple and green looks good together, too.

I ended up getting my camo from Walmart, of all places. I wasn't about to go spend $400 on a coat and pants for something I was just getting into - and I'm not really exaggerating on the cost. We went to both Cabelas and WSS and anything I found under $200 (coat or pants) was made of light and thin material. Maybe I missed something, but I'm happy with the Walmart gear. It's Remington brand, but that doesn't mean much to me because I don't know any different. Like I said, it's soft and lovely and cost $80 for the coat and $70 for the pants. All nice and insulated, I just throw on my fleecy longjohn top and bottoms and I'm good to go, so far at least. I got a larger size coat so I could add layers. And they were actually a womens line

I did get a touque from WSS and I couldn't figure out why it had a slit in it, and finally realized it was a for a ponytail! Made me smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Good for you guys!

Just for future here is the Antlered vs Anterless taken from the regs...

Antlered - A white-tailed deer, moose or elk having an antler exceeding 10.2 cm (4 in.) in length.

Antlerless - A white-tailed deer, moose or elk that is not "antlered" (as defined above)

LC
Thanks Lefty - for some reason I had 3 inches stuck in my head...but that's how long a tine has to be on a 3-point elk...? I was reading the regs earlier but not for that specifically, and I'm just trying to pull it from my brain. Don't quote my oversight, lol His little spikies are longer than 4 inches anyways.

He's hanging and waiting. I got a few pictures but nothing decent.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM

I guess I should post the accompanying story. It's pretty basic, lol.

J. went wandering down a cutline a ways and when he looked down an old quad path, this guy was standing there and J. checked him out with the scope, lined up and shot him a little high, but after we skinned him out it turns out nothing was damaged. Well, you know, "damaged". Still perfectly intact in the places that matter

Anyways, he thought it was a doe! He said he had the scope on him and couldn't even see the little pokers, they just "blended right into the background". Pulled the trigger and he fell where he was.

I got there way too late and ended up meeting J. elsewhere, but he brought me to close to where he shot it, and then we headed home and went to work taking his coat off. Took awhile, J. hasn't done it in awhile and I never have.

A plastic kiddie pool worked great on the floor under the deer.