Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Smile Need advice Duck and Goose Hunting

Hi all

I am in my first year waterfowling. So far I had had a good year taking some great birds however with the weather change now ( freezing ponds etc) I am not sure what the best tactics are for this kind of weather.

Does anyone have any advice?

Also, I a looking for a couple of guys (or gals) who are looking for another waterfowler to join them I have all the gear and decoys etc but I am looking for someone who also is looking for someone to hunt with. I don't mind putting in my time and effort wether it be scouting or retrieving calling etc...but I want to partner with folks that are prepared to do the same.

I would consider myself to be a fairly hardcore hunter. If this sounds like you let me know.

JC
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Default spot for field shoot on feeding ducks and geese!

Spotting field shoots is the only tactic I know of after the water gets hard. Even so it doesn't always work out. Watched a field for 3 days this week and ducks and geese feeding but not at normal times (early morning and late afternoon). Set up this morning at first light and my son was very cold by 9 AM (2 hours of -17 in a layout blind) so I took him home. Got back to the field just in time to see a large number of geese flying just east of our decoys. Had I not been walking through the field they may have come in.
Even then field shoots don't always pan out.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Default Thanks!

Yea that is kind of what I was leaning too. My current thinking is to find large bodies of water and set up close to them and try to find out where the ducks are going once they take flight and set up there.

Say how old is your son? I took my 9 yr old with me two weeks ago and we had an amazing time.

Chech this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aXxCYePNk

Last edited by Jcarter; 11-05-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Only tactic going to change is locating birds. This time of year is alwasy good because the congregate in larger numbers to keep water open, so the key is to find what body of water they are keeping open including rivers. Once you locate the birds, you can follow them out for spotting field shoots. This time of year is by far my fav and yes it does get chilly. you have to be smarter with your decoys and blinds, they have been shot all fall so they are definitely wiser but no funner time then to be out there. Looking forward to December duck shoots
Old 11-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Default he is 19

So he wasnt' quick getting out of bed at 6:30 and dressed to get out the door in a hurry. Layout blind at 17 below zero wasn't the smartest thing he has done but says didn't know quickly where his insulated boots were from last season.
Yeah it was nice two weeks ago so now we have to dress a little smarter.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Smile I hope you meet some new friends!

JC you have the right attitude. In the old days the fellow who taught me said "if you bring a shovel and your own lunch, you are always welcome on a goose hunt". In goose hunting firepower is very welcome.

There are millions of geese East of Calgary and south of Brooks, just waiting for you and a few new friends!

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Default Thanks!

Hi Densa

Thanks for the feedback. I have been given some great advice so far from posters. Glad to see the comoradarie in these forums.

Impressive.

Cheers

J

Tags
decoys, duck, goose, hunting, waterfowl