Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM

Default Cougar Sightings

Dad and I were hunting last night in the Calgary bow zone, my Dad was sitting up on a big hill, watching 5 mulie does and i was on stand getting ready to walk back when he says that there was something that spooked them and they were heading towards me. So i got down in a good spot with an arrow ready and he texts me "two does came back and one got attacked by a cougar" he then texted me to walk back with your knife out. when I meet up with him the two cougars are eating this mule doe 100 yards away from where i was siting .

I was wondering if we have to report any cougar sightings to Fish and wildlife?. i was also surprised when there was two cougars that attacked the deer, I thought that they were solitary hunters. I dont think that it would be a mom and a cub because they were both of equal size. How long will a mother stay with a cub?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM

could have been a mom and kitten by the time the male kittens are ready to leave there mom usually around 1 1/2-2 years they are bigger then there mom....another possibility is they were siblings....check the regs and head back in there with a lion tag there only 20 bucks as long as its open in that unit...
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM

There was a cougar spotted by a few of my sister's friends on Sunday. It was near the train tressel/bridge in Lethbridge. I asked if they had reported it but all I got for an answer was a vague, "meh." I woud've called bs but they're not the type to lie. It's packed with dogs and kids down there, would be silly if they didn't report it. But I've seen fresh saskatoon filled bear turds down there and didn't report it either, sooo... :/
Old 11-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Ya we are thinking about it. i would love a cougar mount
Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 PM

I didn't think there were many cougars near lethbrige. Or bears for that matter
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM

212 is finally open in the month of november, good thing too far to many guys have been stalked by cougars out there.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 PM

^^ ya theres been a couple of cats already arrowed cause of the new boot tag ! hope i get lucky !
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn puppies View Post
I didn't think there were many cougars near lethbrige. Or bears for that matter
Me either. Cougars have been spotted in that area before though and I can see a sneaky little black bear making its way through the coulees and in to town for sure. Lethbridge is actually quite packed with wildlife... and missing pets.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Buy a tag and get your self a nice cougar to mount.if you dont want to arrow it , I would love to. just pm me and I will be there. I wont hunt anything eles just the cougar.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Oh I definitely want to arrow it
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Saw a big Tom by Old Banff Coach road overpass about 3 weeks ago. Did Uturn but didn't get back in time to see him cross. Lots of livestock and pets in that area to keep him fat and happy!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 AM

I was walking on a cutline Fri. and seen the tracks of 2 cougars in the snow.Just about at my spot to hunt,a cougar showed up on the cutline with me I think he was hunting the same elk.He started walking right toward me,so at 200 yards I let off a warning shot witch made him jump up and spin but landed and just looked at me. I walk toward him then he ran off.Hoping he left the area.Right a dark 4 cow elk came in to the clearing and were scared off 5 seaconds latter that couger came out in the clearing. It was time to leave. The next afternoon walking back into the same spot there was fresh cougar tracks on my tracks from the day before, but did'nt see any.First one I've seen what a rush.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
I was walking on a cutline Fri. and seen the tracks of 2 cougars in the snow.Just about at my spot to hunt,a cougar showed up on the cutline with me I think he was hunting the same elk.He started walking right toward me,so at 200 yards I let off a warning shot witch made him jump up and spin but landed and just looked at me. I walk toward him then he ran off.Hoping he left the area.Right a dark 4 cow elk came in to the clearing and were scared off 5 seaconds latter that couger came out in the clearing. It was time to leave. The next afternoon walking back into the same spot there was fresh cougar tracks on my tracks from the day before, but did'nt see any.First one I've seen what a rush.
Was it in one of the new november season WMUs?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 PM

It was in one of the 400's. There is a season for them with dogs in Dec.