Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Default US Hunting trip

I am going to be heading down to the US to do a pheasant shoot in mid November. Can any one get me started or give me tips on what i need to do to get my guns across the border?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 PM

You need to apply for an import permit. Says it could take up to 60 days. Make sure to send a copy of your hunting license or it will be automatically regected. Good Luck!!! (we just came back from a wyoming antelope hunt)
Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Get a hold of the ATF to get your permit. They'll want a copy of your firearms registration, license, and your gun info (make, model, where it was manufactured, etc) same with your ammo you'll be bringing. I don't have the link to the ATF's website but you can print the application form of the website, then fax it to them and they'll fax it back to you.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Like the other guys have said. Talk to the ATF. You usually need 6-8 weeks to get your paperwork completed.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 PM

I went through this last year - get your app in to the ATF as fast as you can - it took exactly 6 weeks for mine.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 PM

www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

Go 3/4 of the way down the page// you are looking for the form titled Application/Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens
You will also need to get on line and buy your Montana Upland Game bird license and send a copy with your application... Fill out the form completely and fax to them...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Fax # 304-616-4554
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 PM

Just got my form back, maybe took four/five weeks including mail both ways. Meaning that you better get on this to prevent too much heartburn! Having a fax will cut off some time obviously.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Default montana pheasant

We were too late to get the paper work done in time for our hunt next week so we are fortunate to have a few friends with loaners for us to use. I guess you can't even take down shotshell ammo with out the correct paper work, too bad as I have a few extra. FS
Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks for all the help! It is all faxed in and ready for review. The lady i spoke with on the phone figured it would only take a few weeks tops as i faxed it in. The hardest thing is deciding what guns to take down. It was a battle.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM

I suggest you ask someone down there for a gun to borrow.
You will be lucky to get the permit in time.
Give it a try.
Next time, apply in January.
Good luck.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 AM

You should get it in plenty of time usually 3 weeks tops when you fax it in.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Just got my ATF back today! It says approved. Is there anything else i need to do now?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM

DONT bring me and you have a chance!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Quicker when you can fax it in, and then you get it quicker when they fax back.

don't bother with taking shells down, more of a pain bringing them over and bringing the extra ones back. Lots of shells down south for what you need.

Bring a camera and be ready for an unbelievable amount of birds!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant Hunter View Post
Just got my ATF back today! It says approved. Is there anything else i need to do now?
Take it with you along with your PAL and registration certificate and you are good to go gun wise. Make sure you let them know when crossing that you have firearms.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Take it with you along with your PAL and registration certificate and you are good to go gun wise. Make sure you let them know when crossing that you have firearms.
Thanks for all the help!!! Now the hard part. The wait.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 PM

On your way back stop in on the US side and get the forms to export the bird carcases if you are bringing any back with you also as this will save you a bunch of time at the border. Are you going down for a pheasant hunt and where are you going?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM

I'm going to Mitchell South Dakota. I didn't realize that you needed anything to bring the birds back. They will be frozen and packaged already.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Default Pheasant Hunting in SD

We hunt near Pierre SD and have had a wonderful time for the last 15 yrs. When you come back bring a copy of the SD Regs and stop on the US side of the border to fill out an EXPORT permit and then show that to the CDN side. It also helps if you keep the receipt from the bird processor in SD (assuming you don't process the birds yourself) to show further evidence of where you got the birds. SD limit is 3 roosters per day 5 days limit in possession where as Montana is just 3 days limit in possession. The big worry is getting checked in Canada at a checkstop.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant Hunter View Post
I'm going to Mitchell South Dakota. I didn't realize that you needed anything to bring the birds back. They will be frozen and packaged already.
Thats were we have gone the past couple of years, not all could make it this year so we took the year off hoping to go next year again. Yes you will need to get an export permit to bring the birds back even when processed and frozen. Have fun its great shooting and when you get back you probably will never buy a bird licence in Alberta again.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Have fun its great shooting and when you get back you probably will never buy a bird licence in Alberta again.
yeah, cuz taking a couple hours at the end of a workday to go for a walk and whack a couple birds really sucks.........
Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 PM

I have never filled out a bird export permit when crossing at Coutts. Maybe just lucky. This year I have no intention of doing anything other than driving up to the border with my pheasants and gun license etc. Who knows, this could be the year though.

Ps. I love it when you tell them you have 10 pheasants (after hunting 4 days or more) and they say "it's only a 2 per day limit in Alberta"
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox red lab View Post
I have never filled out a bird export permit when crossing at Coutts. Maybe just lucky. This year I have no intention of doing anything other than driving up to the border with my pheasants and gun license etc. Who knows, this could be the year though.

Ps. I love it when you tell them you have 10 pheasants (after hunting 4 days or more) and they say "it's only a 2 per day limit in Alberta"
Yes that was the case for us too, but 2 years ago all of a sudden the Canadian border guards wanted to see them, so we had to turn around go back to US customs and get the export permits took a couple extra hour out of our day to do all that so now we just stop before entering back into Canada and get the proper paper work
Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
yeah, cuz taking a couple hours at the end of a workday to go for a walk and whack a couple birds really sucks.........
No its the taking the walk for a couple of hours and not even seeing a bird, that really sucks. If you walk for 2 hours in Mitchell you need to go back to the range and practice your shooting.

Most days in Mitchell we had 30 birds shot in under 2 hours.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 PM

Have things changed since last year? I went thru Noonan, ND and only had to show my US hunting licence and Canadian gun registration. I am heading down on Monday and don't have the import docs
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtracksoup View Post
Have things changed since last year? I went thru Noonan, ND and only had to show my US hunting licence and Canadian gun registration. I am heading down on Monday and don't have the import docs
Your hunting license from the state(s) you harvested the birds IS your permit.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
No its the taking the walk for a couple of hours and not even seeing a bird, that really sucks. If you walk for 2 hours in Mitchell you need to go back to the range and practice your shooting.

Most days in Mitchell we had 30 birds shot in under 2 hours.
so youre saying the killing trumps the hunting?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
so youre saying the killing trumps the hunting?

Every time FS
Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Default shells

I have traved back and forth a bunch and I am permited up to the eye balls every time but the question I have is it legal for a non resident allien to have on him shells that are not on his federal permit?.....puphood1