Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Out of sight, out of mind. Finishing your household projects..

Ken's thread mention the noises his attic was making during the wide temperature changes combined with similar mention in a FB page that I follow inspired me to check out my attic. I had noted some odd noises in it and wanted to check things out, the hindrance being the extra shelf of food in our pantry that has to be moved to get a ladder in there to the attic hatch. Anyways, I cleared access and got my butt up there as I was concerned about frost in there and sure enough I found some. I wondered if a vent had somehow become disconnected or such so I looked around and found two things that made me kick myself. I of all people should know better than to have left something like what I found but I did.

Years ago when checking on some tinsmiths work on my ensuite bath exhaust I had found a mistake where they had reduced my 6" exhaust fan into a 4" flex which exits through a roof jack. I had a small stack of materials that I had picked up to revise this and they were laying right by the hatch inside the attic but I had never put them in. I can recall that back then I left the ladder in the pantry to remind me to get around to that, but then one day my wife moved the ladder and fast forward some years and here I am finally finishing it. The master ensuite bath exhaust has been exhausting into my attic for years but the spray foam insulation was preventing the accumulated frost that would melt as things warmed up from leaking through the ceiling as it would simply pool up there and evaporate. To quote Bugs Bunny "What a Maroon!". I had read a news article about attic frost that was linked to a FB page I follow and it set my cerebral gears in motion.

I think this explains why the infrared view of my roof from space looked way warmer than it should have, taking the spray foam insulation up there into account. I should have ventured up there when I saw that hint on an energy efficiency website, I was just writing it off to the fact that perhaps the photo was taken when we had the place real warm from our wood fireplace burning, it can get pretty toasty to where we need to open windows even in frigid weather.

Anyways, one neat thing is that I can walk anywhere on the spray foam (I'm 175 lbs) and that its not real dusty up there save for the small amount that has come in from the soffits. As attics go its wayyy more pleasant than blown cellulose. The drawback with the stuff is if you want to run any new services you nave to chip through the foam carefully as you don't know where any wiring may be hidden by it.

Anyhow, I'm awarding myself a dumbazz award for having not finished that venting issue years ago.

Now ante in where you've (or anyone) has busted you for procrastinating something at home.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-28-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:09 PM

When we renovated our main bathroom in our house in Edmonton I finished it all but the trim around the door.
I always said that I'd do it next time I had the saws and nailer out, but never did.
Every time I sat on the toilet, I looked at it.
The day before our house went on the market I nailed up the trim.
I hope the new owners enjoy the veiw from the throne.

And, I've been putting off installing new bifold closet doors in my eldest daughters room since we moved in 6 years ago.
The trick is to stash them somewhere they don't get in the way.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:15 PM

I still have to climb back up there and re-fix it. I reattached the 4" earlier and then I saw the materials in 5" to do the job when I was leaving the attic and had to take a break to charge my headlamp. There is a snap-in adaptor that clips to the roof jack, I can snap in the 5" in place of the existing 4'" but they did not make a 6" that fit that configuration if I recall correctly. Hence my posting here while my skull-beam recharges
Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 AM

It’s always the little things that don’t get done.... that reminds me I still need a good chimney cover on my pizza oven, gotta paint that top fence board that I forgot, unfortunately I levpft the pain of stain by the back fence to remind me and it froze
Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Me? Procrastinate? If procrastination was an Olympic sport, I would be a gold medalist.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Talking

I have to finish the molding around the windows in the basement. And a lot upstairs. And I have no baseboards up.

I built the house in 2001, at this point we may as well re-paint, put down new flooring, and put then them up.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM

In my old house after laying laminate, I procrastinated installing trim long enough that I didn't have remove it to tear up the laminate and put new flooring down. That saved time...

I am horrible for not finishing projects. Once something gets to the state of usable I move on to something else. The wife hates it.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 PM

I was going to type out mine but I need to get a coffee first.... will do it tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Ummmmmm.

Recently had all the flooring changed in the house-Oct 2017.
We moved out of the Master into a spare room then and I painted the stipple ceiling.
Started on the walls and life happened.
Now March 2019 and master still not painted.2 year old frog tape looks nice though
Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 AM

Today I finally installed a hangar for the central vacuum hose in the laundry room. I used a garden hose hangar that had an accessory shelf under it which does a nice job holding the various attachments.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:02 AM

A few years back i heard a theory that leaving little finishing work undone at the end of a project can be the sign of a perfectionist.The rational being, if the job is not finished it can not be imperfect. This is what i am going with.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:27 PM

I built my wife a walk in closet in the basement the week we moved into this house. Twenty years ago.
I did a beautiful job of hanging the bars to hang clothes, the shelves, drywall finishing was great (although you can't see it for the clothes).
I hung the door perfectly.
The doorknob for the closet door? Still in the packaging on a shelf in the laundry room, been there for 20 years.
Do I win?
Old 03-02-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I built my wife a walk in closet in the basement the week we moved into this house. Twenty years ago.
I did a beautiful job of hanging the bars to hang clothes, the shelves, drywall finishing was great (although you can't see it for the clothes).
I hung the door perfectly.
The doorknob for the closet door? Still in the packaging on a shelf in the laundry room, been there for 20 years.
Do I win?
I challenge you to finish that this weekend, if you do, consider that a win.

PS: That's a double-dog dare. I've dropped the gauntlet.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-02-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I challenge you to finish that this weekend, if you do, consider that a win.

PS: That's a double-dog dare. I've dropped the gauntlet.
Could you imagine how happy she would be?
20 Years, Your re the CHAMP. But all great things must come to a end. Retire on top!
Old 03-02-2019, 04:17 PM

Sweetheart it will get done, you dont have to nag me every six months.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 PM

I put a humidifier on my furnace today.
I've only had it for 2 or 3 years.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Maybe I'll hook up the water supplies to my two humidifiers tomorrow, they've been installed for about a decade but never been run

If I'm gonna throw out the double-dog dare, I can't be a hypocrite about it!
Old 03-03-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Seems to be a lot of humidifier procrastinating going on.
I just replaced the solenoid valve on ours that I've been meaning to do for a couple years.
I was getting tired of getting zapped with static electricity every time I touched anything.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Seems to be a lot of humidifier procrastinating going on.
I just replaced the solenoid valve on ours that I've been meaning to do for a couple years.
I was getting tired of getting zapped with static electricity every time I touched anything.
And me with my wool socks and no cat anymore going on about 5 years or so