Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Got a leather one from Roots almost 4 years ago now. Holding together beautifully and of course made in Canada.

http://www.roots.com/us/en/mens-slim...r=022#start=10
Old 10-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Default Porter custom leather

Stumbled across a guy and his wife in the kingsland market here in Calgary. He does all kinds of leather work. My girlfriend went back and bought me an elephant leather wallet for a birthday present. The inside is horse and kangaroo leather. He also used other leathers such as hippo and stingray. Very cool work and from what I've read elephant leather is almost indestructible. Porter custom.com or look up Porter custom leather on Facebook.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, you guys got me. I didn't want to carry my Roots wallet all the time (I have it for 'travel') and my beater for work, which is pretty much blown out at this point. So I ordered one after looking at their web site, based on your recommendation. I look forward to getting it, hope it's everything you guys say it is! TC
Well, I just thought I'd bring this thread back up here again, and comment on the wallet I got from Canada Leathers two and a half years ago....I don't think I have carried my Roots wallet three times since I got this.

I picked up their tri-fold, and it is in and out of my pocket, jacket, whatever, multiple times a day. Love it. Absolutely love it. Quality is fantastic. I got it in distressed brown, and it looks a little more distressed, but in a good way. It is broken in, let's say. But, not a single stitch has given way, no rips tears damage of any sort. It is really really well made. For a wallet that I paid $55 for....it is a bargain, a steal....and when the day comes that it is finally played out (which won't be for a long time by the looks of it) I will be getting another one of their products, without question. Hell, I'm tempted to get another and put it away just for the sake of getting another of the same....I always suffer getting a 'new style' wallet, after getting used to where all the pieces of plastic go. For the record, I carry 18 different plastic cards in there, from drivers and PAL, to AMA, credit and debit, Costco, Airmiles and Aeroplan, and all the other cards we seem to carry. That and a bit of cash and my health care card, and a pic of my wife. And it all fits quite nicely. I got my son a different one, and he sits on his everywhere, and it's still going strong too!

This is what I have:

https://www.canadaleathers.com/styles/213.html

In fact, looking at their site...I just ordered a passport holder for my trip. And another 'backup' wallet'....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-28-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
These guys!!! 100 year guarantee. I have a couple and they are solid as heck...
https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-wallets

Got to say, for the price these are pretty impressive. Next passport holder will definitely be from these guys. Don't carry a wallet most days, just a few cards/ID with cash wrapped over them and held with a bull clip. Fits in front pocket, not big bulge to sit on and you never lose it.

This with some cash wrapped on the outside of the cards. Never wears out.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
If you guys are wanting to support local and want the best quality product you ever had than look here: http://www.canadaleathers.com/1920x1200.html

Adrian Klis Collection, at one time you could only get it in Banff but now they do few trades shows and they have online store. I love this stuff and have purchased a few different things.
I bought one a few years ago. Holding up fantastic.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:53 PM

When it was time for me to retire my previous one, I spent months looking for something very specific, and I couldn't find it anywhere.
I wanted a tri-fold, but with the cards arranged so they are against the inside fold and cannot come out on their own, or even if it's dropped. I needed one before a trip to Italy, but couldn't fine one, so I just grabbed one of those anti scanner styles with bare minimum for cards.
During our trip we strolled through a market in Florence, and lo and behold there was my wallet! The perfect style I had been looking for, at that point, for about 3 months.
Its now 5 years old and is aging like fine wine.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:42 PM

I have almost the same thing, but it is a ROOTS73 which apparently has a miniature faraday cage built in to stop bastards from reading rfid cards with a scanner. Got it in the mall a few years ago on sale for about $30. Another thing to think about when travelling, I guess.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 PM

I think for my next wallet I'll look for one with scan protection. My current one is a Filson one that's been holding up longer than my wallets usually seem to. I might look at different types as the ones I have stagger the credit cards in a fashion that always winds up shortening their life span by cracking them lengthwise, usually along the magnetic strip.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 PM

I like a 'Scottish wallet'. It has a velcro closure that screams when you open it.

Last edited by thumper; 02-28-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-28-2019, 09:12 PM

https://humnwallet.com/collections/a...-rfid-blocking

^My current wallet, had for about 2 years. Would definitely recommend, plus it looks slick.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:31 PM

I've been thinking about these wallets for a bit now. The guy makes them out of recycled baseball gloves, footballs, goalie pads etc. Saw a bit on the Edmonton news about it last fall. Pigskin from a football or leather from a ball glove should be fairly durable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallet.jpg (32.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg wallet2.jpg (44.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:55 PM

Default From The Hip

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
is carried in my breast pocket of the jacket I am wearing or in a pocket of my cargo shorts.

FTH
Wonder if that was why he was banned ?

Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 PM

Fossil makes really nice wallets, mine still looks great
Old 02-28-2019, 11:15 PM

Default Secrid wallet

Secrid wallet. Loves mine
Old 03-01-2019, 08:26 AM

I bought a tooled leather wallet from that Mens Wear shop Downtown in Olds about 15 years ago. It's a Justin Boot one, it's stood up very well. I think it was around $40 back then.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Wonder if that was why he was banned ?

Haha Zing!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....