Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
No its the taking the walk for a couple of hours and not even seeing a bird, that really sucks. If you walk for 2 hours in Mitchell you need to go back to the range and practice your shooting.

Most days in Mitchell we had 30 birds shot in under 2 hours.
I respect this. Especially for hunters that do not have access in the prime spots... a day spent trying to get 2 roosters can be like pulling teeth.

I am very interested in a US hunt. Out of curiosity, how did you folks that ended up going find the best places to go? South Dakota is a large place...

I look at it like planning an Alberta Pheasant hunt and because you do not know the area, you start in Whitecourt. Even if you got closer, say you started in Nanton you would still be a hundred miles from the rooster hunting. Where did you guys go for the resources on the hunt? Is there a possibility to hire a consultant that can provide you with some landowner contacts and some suggested spots. (I am not interested in a guided trip)

I do not think that SD is where I want to start, I would like to try Montana next year... but I think the resources would be the same?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtracksoup View Post
Have things changed since last year? I went thru Noonan, ND and only had to show my US hunting licence and Canadian gun registration. I am heading down on Monday and don't have the import docs
Nothing has changed since last year. You needed to have completed ATF form for the past half dozen or more years. It is illegal to take a firearm into the U.S. without it. Don't take your gun if you don't have it.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
so youre saying the killing trumps the hunting?
No but I just like to have a couple of those tasty birds on my dinner plate after a fine days hunt. Burr soup just doesn't cut it for me.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Nothing has changed since last year. You needed to have completed ATF form for the past half dozen or more years. It is illegal to take a firearm into the U.S. without it. Don't take your gun if you don't have it.
I called down this morning to the US border crossing at Portal and told him I was coming down on Monday with my ND hunting license and my CDN registration. He said 'there shouldn't be an issue' so I'm going to try it. Next year I think I'll get the ATF form done, but I really don't want to have to rely on a borrowed gun.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtracksoup View Post
I called down this morning to the US border crossing at Portal and told him I was coming down on Monday with my ND hunting license and my CDN registration. He said 'there shouldn't be an issue' so I'm going to try it. Next year I think I'll get the ATF form done, but I really don't want to have to rely on a borrowed gun.
Are you nuts? Going to the land of the patriot act with guns and ammunition not properly papered! What happens if they let you in but you get stopped by a trooper who calls the ATF?
You could have your gun seized, your truck seized, be put in prison & prohibited from future entry indefinitely.
Borrow a shotgun please!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Are you nuts? Going to the land of the patriot act with guns and ammunition not properly papered! What happens if they let you in but you get stopped by a trooper who calls the ATF?
You could have your gun seized, your truck seized, be put in prison & prohibited from future entry indefinitely.
Borrow a shotgun please!
What he said! The border guys don't always know all the ATF rules. You will be breaking U.S. Federal law if you get into the U.S. with your shotgun and no form..