Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Default WMu 200 mule buck draw

Ok just in route back from provost with a buddy we both got drawn for mule buck in wmu 200 and I have never seen such lack of deer we seen nothing much at all we went up with the muzle loaders to make sure we could get of of our permission I no the rut is not on but three years agao there where slot more does any one have info on this area was there slot of winter kill ?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

i just spent a few days in 234 looking for a lady moose. the situation is no better there. we saw next to no deer at all. good luck to you.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Can you say.....CWD hunt ?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:55 PM

I know of others who hunt the same area, they were cleaned out by the cad cull
Old 10-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaj View Post
I know of others who hunt the same area, they were cleaned out by the cad cull
I meant CWD cull, spell checker was on auto
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Ya but that was 5 years ago and 3 yards ago it was good or maybe I am wrong
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
Ya but that was 5 years ago and 3 yards ago it was good or maybe I am wrong
you are defenitley wrong.... The slaughter is still going on as we speak. I am sick to my stomach that they gave out all of these tags to kill more deer this year.... Srd and F&W are wrecking our provinces wildlife. But us as hunter need to look a little further than a tag or in most lately 2-3 tags.... WE are the ones that are doing there dirty work after the helicpter BS..... So buy tags in the cwd zones and throw them in the garbage before there is nthing left....
Old 10-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
you are defenitley wrong.... The slaughter is still going on as we speak. I am sick to my stomach that they gave out all of these tags to kill more deer this year.... Srd and F&W are wrecking our provinces wildlife. But us as hunter need to look a little further than a tag or in most lately 2-3 tags.... WE are the ones that are doing there dirty work after the helicpter BS..... So buy tags in the cwd zones and throw them in the garbage before there is nthing left....
Or save your money, and just not buy the tags.

Keep looking, there are a couple deer left.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Default I dont know?

My in-laws are from Czar south of wainwright 30 min on 41. they dont seem to be short numbers there. The mother in-law hit 4 deer with her car last year. I hunt around vermilion our numbers are down a bit here. but as soon as we drive south of wainwright the deer are every where not big. but we cant drive that 1/2 hour without seeing 4-5 in the head lights.
I say fill those tags.

Brad
Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM

My wife and daughter were both drawn for antlered mule deer in 164 which is not to far from 200. All the landowners my wife has talked to have said last winter was hard on the deer, and numbers are down. The one guy said he found over 30 dead, and we would have a hard time finding any trophy bucks. We havent been down there yet, but will probably get out for a day or two next week and hopefully have some luck.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Or maybe its just that youre hunting the most goofy zone around? I have inlaws that hunt that area because they cant bother to put in the time to establish relationships with private land owners. I have yet to invite them out to wmu 232 because theyre yahoos. They shoot anything that moves. Get out and introduce yourself to some folk in 232. Tons of deer this year. Better hunting and less traffic.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Gone Hunting

First of all here's some punctuation for you..;'',.;;,.''.''..

I had a heck of a time reading your post.

"we went up with the muzle loaders to make sure we could get of of our permission "
How did that work for you? I usually just ask permission without the firearms. Works ok.

You are correct about the deer numbers. No deer=no CWD. How is it not working?

I live here and the deer population is way down. I spent two days south of Oyen along the Sask border calling coyotes. Very few deer there. Two days we saw about a dozen does total. Normally we would easily see a hundred deer.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-30-2011, 04:56 PM

But if you read sone other threads the does are everywhere. I personally think guys are trying to convince themselves deer numbers aren't down... They are, big time! Let them walk. We found 6 dead deer in a 20 acre clump of trees. All starved, coyote kills...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Or maybe its just that youre hunting the most goofy zone around? I have inlaws that hunt that area because they cant bother to put in the time to establish relationships with private land owners. I have yet to invite them out to wmu 232 because theyre yahoos. They shoot anything that moves. Get out and introduce yourself to some folk in 232. Tons of deer this year. Better hunting and less traffic.
what makes it so goofy ,care to explain ?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:03 PM

should have a couple good pics for in a few weeks gonna start hunting around the 20th of the month !
Old 10-30-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Wmu 200

Sorry for the spelling I was Texing while driving lol anyways thanks for all the info I am still confused on the cwd tags that were given out for this zone land owners told me it was 4-5 years ago it's a shame if this is going on and fish and feathers **** me off but I guess it's not them as much as it is the Alberta government. How about the guy talking about gooffy Zone and yahoos have a good look in the mirror before u go on here yapping lol
Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 AM

Default WMU 200 deer

We hunted there last year and saw 150 deer on opening day of PW season and I got my mulie buck in mid Nov. Went down this year for opening weekend of PW season (wife got her buck tag and elk tag) saw 10 deer the whole weekend. They issued over 600 buck tags there last year plus the Supp tags and there were trucks everywhere. We talked to F&W on the 15th weekend and he told us that he spent the first 3 months of 2011 almost exclusively reporting to dead deer calls from starved frozen deer. There was a lot of snow. But we'll be down there next weekend with everyone else. Just sit and let the truck hunters push them around.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 AM

Looks at the draw results they give out over 600 buck tags in WMU 200 and two doe tags. Good one Sustainable Resources . CWD and winters have taken their toll on the deer for sure.....
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM

I was talking to the F&W last week and he told me they gave out 630 buck tags again for 200. They are targeting 202 this year with 450 buck tags and 1500 mule doe tags. He said a different biologist looks after the neighboring zone 164 and he only gave out just under 200 buck tags and 3-400 doe tags for a zone the same size. Then the little 203 zone there were 350 buck tags and numerous doe tags as well. Don't get mad at the game wardens, they only make recomendations and the biologists do their own thing. I know the one biologist that looks after WMU200, 202,203,232,234,236 has no clue and relies heavily on computer models for his figures. You watch, they will do an survey from the air next year then you will have to wait 5yrs to get a mule buck tag because he "estimated" wrong. I have seen him do this numerous times.
There are still deer there, I truely believe with all the pressure, that a lot of the deer are nocturnal and bred to be more skiddish. I live in 234 and can go out in an evening and find 30-40 deer,so they are still there but they do not hang around long
Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
I was talking to the F&W last week and he told me they gave out 630 buck tags again for 200. They are targeting 202 this year with 450 buck tags and 1500 mule doe tags. He said a different biologist looks after the neighboring zone 164 and he only gave out just under 200 buck tags and 3-400 doe tags for a zone the same size. Then the little 203 zone there were 350 buck tags and numerous doe tags as well. Don't get mad at the game wardens, they only make recomendations and the biologists do their own thing. I know the one biologist that looks after WMU200, 202,203,232,234,236 has no clue and relies heavily on computer models for his figures. You watch, they will do an survey from the air next year then you will have to wait 5yrs to get a mule buck tag because he "estimated" wrong. I have seen him do this numerous times.
There are still deer there, I truely believe with all the pressure, that a lot of the deer are nocturnal and bred to be more skiddish. I live in 234 and can go out in an evening and find 30-40 deer,so they are still there but they do not hang around long

I agree with ya... still deer around... the pressure that the deer see from the road is crazy...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 AM

Thumbs down

Yeah there may still be deer but as for trophy quality its just not there anymore like it use to be!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
Looks at the draw results they give out over 600 buck tags in WMU 200 and two doe tags. Good one Sustainable Resources . CWD and winters have taken their toll on the deer for sure.....
cwd itself has killed VERY VERY FEW deer in this province. the fear and mismanagement of it has led to a pile of deaths though.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM

the deer are still there quality may be down but there are still some big ones to be had just gotta put your time in !!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Default wmu 200 mule buck draw

You hit the nail right on the head, Justin C! we're just doing the dirty work for a provincial government that has no regard for the future of our wildlife. I live in wmu 232, and trust me when I say, the numbers are way down! I just spent the last week covering alot of this area and I can't get over how few deer there are. Anyone who say different doesn"t know what the reality is.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 10-31-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: incomplete response
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 AM

are you guys seeing any elk out there
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
My in-laws are from Czar south of wainwright 30 min on 41. they dont seem to be short numbers there. The mother in-law hit 4 deer with her car last year. I hunt around vermilion our numbers are down a bit here. but as soon as we drive south of wainwright the deer are every where not big. but we cant drive that 1/2 hour without seeing 4-5 in the head lights.
I say fill those tags.

Brad
Old post but interesting. Everyone else says the zone is nuked, but you say start killing them because you mother in law hit 4 on the road, there are lots of deer... Dollars to doughnuts says you and her need to think about why there are deer on the roads and slow it down even when there are very few. More than likely and Id be willing to bet everything was browning/browned off and the ditch grass was the greenest stuff in the country when she was hitting them.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
cwd itself has killed VERY VERY FEW deer in this province. the fear and mismanagement of it has led to a pile of deaths though.
X2

I hunt 232 a fair bit and seems like the mulies are doing ok, WT numbers are way down over the past few years IMHO though. SRD reduced the mule doe draw tags from 2 to 1 tag about 2 years ago so they are cutting back in areas that were close to the cull....

LC
Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
232 has got nothing left!!! They slaughtered this zone too!!! There's a few big mules left but try and find a good whitetail over 160. There used to be quite a few now try and find one. O and permission wise lots of previous landowners let people on now they have posted from idiots driving on .
Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 PM

i hunt wmu 200 exclusively and theres no doubt that numbers are down this year. last nights evening hunt i spotted 10 does and 3 does this morning. one okay 160 mule buck the entire weekend. i also have never seen so many coyotes out there and healthy coyotes. the bigguns are still out there but road hunters arent going to get them because they are skittish! mule does running at 500 yards. all the best of luck