Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
You are the eception on who ONLY holds out for mister big.. Most shoot a dink.
Can you prove this or are you still talking out of your *****? I wonder who shoots more immature bucks, landowners or resident draw owners?

Good thing you have friends that own land cause don't come knockin on my door, for the last 3-4 pages all I've read is me me I I I. What I've earned you want for free, I think this is the "new generation attitude"!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Justin,

Have you ever thought about the positives in the land owner tags ?

Other threads have pointed out the lack of habitat to substain healthy pheasants populations for example, myself and the wife being land owners understand this completely... Our efforts have created a positive effect on the habitat on the lands we own, we plant shelter belts, fence creek access, turned ag land back to native grasses, only cut and bale late season so as not to remove much needed cover for young chicks, extra...

I invested thousands into a pheasant pen and purchase chicks every spring only to release them into the wild for the betterment of "OUR" future, not just my selfish enjoyment..

I rotate my grass munchers often as not to over graze areas with great habitat or even marginal habitat...

So my efforts over the years have increased our carrying capacity for all wildlife and our surrounding areas have benifitted greatly, pheasants every where, whitetail and mules in herds with twins, hawks, eagles, coyotes, foxes, the list goes on and on....

Now, we do qualify for a land owner tag, I do purchase this as well... I have only used this tag once, three years ago there was a mule that was obviously injured in our creek bottom.. I tried to convince myself that this buck was ok, but unfortunatley he was gut shot.. I could have left him for the coyotes, but the thought of being eaten alive just didn't sit well with myself.. He was a respectable 170, but far from a trophy as my standards go...

Now, I do know other land owners who are true stuarts to the land and others who are not... Elliminating the land owner tag does nothing for the good of our sport, a land owner with no ethics will just tip one over, tag or not.... Same goes for a poacher, see where this is going

I have a funny fealing these land owner tags benifit wildlife more than most would think... If you feel different, please copy your comments on this thread and pass them along to the people who allow you access on the dirt they got for free ( this by the way was over the top ), but looking through your comments, I guess I would not expect anything less...

Hoping our paths never cross....
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Close. The Outfitter allocation is 2 for the any weapon (rifle) season.

This is becoming a common allocation % in many wmus.

*The number of Resident Draw licences may actually be less than stated. I don't have the info on Hunter Hosted NR licences issued in the draw.

For 2010 in Wmu 138 Antlered MD Rifle Season

Resident AND NR Hosted - 7 = 46.7%

Landowner Licences - 6 = 40%

Outfitter (rifle) - 2 = 13.3%
Do you have the total for NR hosted? What is the total tags given out in the WMU? By any account we are very close to not being able to draw a tag in this zone.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Justin,

Now, I do know other land owners who are true stuarts to the land and others who are not... Elliminating the land owner tag does nothing for the good of our sport, a land owner with no ethics will just tip one over, tag or not.... Same goes for a poacher, see where this is going
I think what you are doing is awesome.

But in a my own twisted way I see this attitude as being similar to Justin's. Because you are a landowner you assume you know whats best for the wild game population on your land. While I respect you are in a better position than I to assess the game on your land... We tend to forget the ecosystem is larger than just what you own. (Unless your a biologist for SRD)

In the example of a mule deer population, imagine a township owned by 36 different land owners. Each land owner applies & harvests a mulie. While each landowner may assume that his land can sustain a mule deer thus he is entitled to the harvest, imagine what that would do to the mule deer population in the area? While I realize this is a large "if"... Because of the nature of the system, ALL hunters have no idea if its a system that allows excess.

I think what most of the "against" people here are really for is a more transparent and better managed land owner tag system, not its eviction from Alberta completely.

The goal is better game management, hunter opportunities & in some zones trophy quality ungulates. This is not possible with a mechanism built into the system that allows any group to bypass the priority system. (Hence why we also rally against the number of allotments guides recieve)
Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I think what you are doing is awesome.

But in a my own twisted way I see this attitude as being similar to Justin's. Because you are a landowner you assume you know whats best for the wild game population on your land. While I respect you are in a better position than I to assess the game on your land... We tend to forget the ecosystem is larger than just what you own. (Unless your a biologist for SRD)

In the example of a mule deer population, imagine a township owned by 36 different land owners. Each land owner applies & harvests a mulie. While each landowner may assume that his land can sustain a mule deer thus he is entitled to the harvest, imagine what that would do to the mule deer population in the area? While I realize this is a large "if"... Because of the nature of the system, ALL hunters have no idea if its a system that allows excess.

I think what most of the "against" people here are really for is a more transparent and better managed land owner tag system, not its eviction from Alberta completely.

The goal is better game management, hunter opportunities & in some zones trophy quality ungulates. This is not possible with a mechanism built into the system that allows any group to bypass the priority system. (Hence why we also rally against the number of allotments guides recieve)
Please do not compare myself to Justin or his attitude.. If you want me to take an attitude on this, I can... I can argue the land owner tags are bias and should be looked at differently.. Why should I have to apply for the zone I own dirt in as a first priority to qualify for this system ?

Like really, talk about discrimination, I should be able to apply in the "good" zones all across the province like everyone else, if I am not successful, then get my land owner tag anyways...

See, how easy it is to manipulate something to look as if there are problems with the current system...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
See, how easy it is to manipulate something to look as if there are problems with the current system...
I fully support the Principal behind LO licences. I believe the principal is being lost in present LO licencing policy.

IMO, there are two issues (one problem) with the current LO Licencing system.

Issue -The number of LO licences issued per species/sex, and wmu must be published yearly by SRD, just as they do for Draw Licences.

Issue and Problem -There is NO LIMIT on the number of LO licences for Mule Deer that can be issued in any Draw wmu. This needs to change back to a % of licences available to everyone.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I own dirt in as a first priority to qualify for this system ?

Like really, talk about discrimination, I should be able to apply in the "good" zones all across the province like everyone else, if I am not successful, then get my land owner tag anyways...
Lets rewind and post a casual reminder that you do not own the wildlife, just the land. I think that is undisputed amongst all of us.

Once again, you have an attitude just like Justin. "If I can't draw the mule buck I will just buy it with a landowner tag". So you are using the landowner tag to bypass the game management strategy in your zone. (The problem with the system) You think your earned entitlement to your land also entitles you the game on that land - which I repeat - you do not own.

Regardless of the habitat contributions you make, you can not claim to have the understanding or entitlement great enough to harvest game animals at your own personal will.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTK View Post
Can you prove this or are you still talking out of your *****? I wonder who shoots more immature bucks, landowners or resident draw owners?

Good thing you have friends that own land cause don't come knockin on my door, for the last 3-4 pages all I've read is me me I I I. What I've earned you want for free, I think this is the "new generation attitude"!
LOL... What did you earn???? how did you earn a free jump in the line for a tag????
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Lets rewind and post a casual reminder that you do not own the wildlife, just the land. I think that is undisputed amongst all of us.

Once again, you have an attitude just like Justin. "If I can't draw the mule buck I will just buy it with a landowner tag". So you are using the landowner tag to bypass the game management strategy in your zone. (The problem with the system) You think your earned entitlement to your land also entitles you the game on that land - which I repeat - you do not own.

Regardless of the habitat contributions you make, you can not claim to have the understanding or entitlement great enough to harvest game animals at your own personal will.
I was purely making a point on attitudes... Certainly not using the bypass route as you suggest, just making a point.

And obviously I do not own the wildlife that visits our properties, please show me where "I" claim entitlement to our resources ?

For the record, I can honestly say more than 20 different individuals were allowed access to dirt I pay taxes on in 2010.. Not family, some friends, but mostly nice sportsmen and women I met while in the field..
Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Justin,

Other threads have pointed out the lack of habitat to substain healthy pheasants populations for example, myself and the wife being land owners understand this completely... Our efforts have created a positive effect on the habitat on the lands we own, we plant shelter belts, fence creek access, turned ag land back to native grasses, only cut and bale late season so as not to remove much needed cover for young chicks, extra...

I invested thousands into a pheasant pen and purchase chicks every spring only to release them into the wild for the betterment of "OUR" future, not just my selfish enjoyment..

I rotate my grass munchers often as not to over graze areas with great habitat or even marginal habitat...

So my efforts over the years have increased our carrying capacity for all wildlife and our surrounding areas have benifitted greatly, pheasants every where, whitetail and mules in herds with twins, hawks, eagles, coyotes, foxes, the list goes on and on....

Now, we do qualify for a land owner tag, I do purchase this as well... I have only used this tag once, three years ago there was a mule that was obviously injured in our creek bottom.. I tried to convince myself that this buck was ok, but unfortunatley he was gut shot.. I could have left him for the coyotes, but the thought of being eaten alive just didn't sit well with myself.. He was a respectable 170, but far from a trophy as my standards go...

I have a funny fealing these land owner tags benifit wildlife more than most would think... If you feel different, please copy your comments on this thread and pass them along to the people who allow you access on the dirt they got for free ( this by the way was over the top ), but looking through your comments, I guess I would not expect anything less...

Slead I dont have a problem with land owner tags. I have a problem that they are for an animal with horns... Ask dale he will tell you that a muledeer is stupid and with out pertection they will all get shot. I am looking for a deer that hardly exists in Alberta anymore. So why do you get a better chance than me? You are no different than I am your land u own is bigger han mine that is it. I am not a bad guy I just think this province has massacured the deer herds in this province beond repair( we all are responsible for this as we do the shooting) Then they give out all of these tags out all over the place over and about our general draw.Then after that is done out go more land owner tags to deal with the cwd BS hunt that should never happedned from the start. I bought those tags drove down and saw how bad it was so drove home and through my tags out.I bought them every year and did the same.

So really I am mad at the government for issueing all the tags in this province for all muledeer and other speices as well.... Like I said we use to have one of the best in the world and now we are not even in the top 5.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

Bingo...... Well stated...This is the biggest problem I have it trying to type what I really mean.

PS sleadhead Call Dale and get my phone number we will talk. Typing and talking are totally different also there is no emotion in typing. You also can take things wrong some time too.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Hi. I'm a hunter and I would like to hunt on your land.

Oh, by the way, I think your landowner tags should only be valid for antlerless game.

Dear AO Forums,

Wow. I was out for a drive and every quarter section of land was posted "No Hunting". WTF?

Self explanatory. Someone p'sses off a landowner and the gate closes. Simple.
This is the most intelligent post on the entire thread.
To all you whiners out there, I would simply say "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it"
Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
LOL... What did you earn???? how did you earn a free jump in the line for a tag????
A) You never answered my question!

B) I've earned the OPTION, by law, as an landowner to apply for a landowner tag.

What I want to see JC is province wide #'s of LOT's allocated and how many of these tags are actually filled. How are we to know that this problem is as bed as you make it out to be if you don't have #'s to back it up?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Justin,

Sledhead I thank you for being a steward of the land that you own, not enough people do stuff like this. I also thank you for allowing access to land to the respectable hunters that come to your door and that you meet in the field, I hope this sort of thing will continue for many years. In my mind the main issues with these licenses are the fact that the #'s aren't disclosed nor controled, I suspect that this is something that most people actually agree with. I also said one caveat in there to cut out some of the unfairness of the system, landowners who allow NO access to anyone and grab a license every year, I would like to see allowing SOME access a caveat for obtaining this license.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Some thing that many hunters forget, is that LO tags actually keep access open to other hunters. Many landowners who apply and get rejected are in a pretty foul mood when they have to endure a hunting season being pestered by tons of hunters on their land. Being able to harvest game on your own land makes it easier to put up with all the headaches of the hunting season. I have only used a landowner tag once in my life, but it is good to know that the government thinks enough of landowners, to provide this opportunity. No ,landowners don't own the game, but for now they do own the access.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Issue and Problem -There is NO LIMIT on the number of LO licences for Mule Deer that can be issued in any Draw wmu. This needs to change back to a % of licences available to everyone.
There is no limit on the number of general tags either at least with the landowner tag you know what zone it came from
Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
There is no limit on the number of general tags either at least with the landowner tag you know what zone it came from

Edit:
Read you post for the fifth time, I think I understand what you're getting at.

General tags are available to all landowners and the general public. Equal opportunity for all.

Unlimited LO Licences in a Draw Wmu is an oxymoron.

Why should the non-landowner public be worried about losing hunting access if all the tags are issued to Landowners?

Last edited by walking buffalo; 11-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 PM

I am a landowner and do not apply for a landowner tag, my choice.

Landowner tags should only be for females only.

Landowner tags should not qualify for any awards.