Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 PM

First off I would goto a system that if Alberta residents have to draw a tag for an animal, then it's not available to non-residents including out of country hunters. Secondly they would have to a resident for 6mths, meaning that they must hold an Alberta health care card for that period and the onus is on them to prove they have been here for that period of time.

No hunter host program, if its a general tag non-residents can hunt on their own....out of country hunters can get a guide

Last edited by harv3589; 11-04-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=badhabit;1142291]hunter host is a joke. A waste of time and although I hunt Alberta every year and abide the bs of the host program it should go away. I have talked to numerous game warden about the host thing receiving numerous answers from "you dam near need to be holding hands" to as far as "as long as you can reach your host by cellular phone or radio." lmao And then to boot you can only have one host. Seems dumb.[/QUOTEto a point I agree with you, here is my example why
I grew up in Alberta, moved to SASK 5 yrs ago, I cant hunt wth out a hunter host(my daughter) but when i do hunt I,m actually teaching and showing my hunter host(my daughter) where all the good spots are
here is my reason i don't agree
some weekend warrior from Toronto
comes to AB decides he is going deer hunting for a week while he is out here in AB,
on an AMWAY sales seminar
goes into the bush , never been in the bush before
gets lost
thousands and thousands of dollars spent searching for his useless arss
thats why they have it
and yes your hunter host should accompany you with in shouting distance away
and the reason we get the hunter host license is because we respect the Alberta laws and regulations,
I still pay my Alberta health care monthly
and I still get mail at my post office box in Calahoo AB
so with that said am I a non resident or a resident???
my drivers license says i,m from Sask my main residence is Sask
i,m confused what am i??

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 11-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
First off I would goto a system that if Alberta residents have to draw a tag for an animal, then it's not available to non-residents including out of country hunters. Secondly they would have to a resident for 6mths, meaning that they must hold an Alberta health care card for that period and the onus is on them to prove they have been here for that period of time.

No hunter host program, if its a general tag non-residents can hunt on their own....out of country hunters can get a guide
I would support that idea.

It is our resource, not the governments, not business interests resource.
It belongs to the people of this province.

Now if the majority want to give non residents first crack, then so be it.
But that is not how we got to this outcome.

It was decided by government and business interest without consulting the public or even letting the public know what was being discussed, until after the fact.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
But dont raise taxes!
Yeah. cut a few government pensions if you have to, but don't raise taxes.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM

My big change would be in regards to shooting Bears, I think it should be the best of both worlds (BC and AB). A person should have either the choice of taking the Hide or the Meat. For instance I like the odd bear meat for my sausages so in that case I would shoot a nice young bear, but the hide is not a trophy so would prefer to just leave the fur. If I want a nice rug I would go after a nice large old bore and thus would not want the stinky meat. This would be a merge between BC regs that says you have to take Black Bear meat and the AB reg that say you have to take the Fur. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:56 AM

well same boat for me there mr wind. lived in alberta for alot of years and moved back to sask 3 years ago for work. have lots of hunting buddys there in alberta, and know the regs and such very well. Not that i cant stand the hunter host completly as it does allow me to still come back and hunt some great spots. Its the fact that only one person can host you per year. For me this is always the problem as I like to make multiple trips.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redspy View Post
My big change would be in regards to shooting Bears, I think it should be the best of both worlds (BC and AB). A person should have either the choice of taking the Hide or the Meat. For instance I like the odd bear meat for my sausages so in that case I would shoot a nice young bear, but the hide is not a trophy so would prefer to just leave the fur. If I want a nice rug I would go after a nice large old bore and thus would not want the stinky meat. This would be a merge between BC regs that says you have to take Black Bear meat and the AB reg that say you have to take the Fur. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!
A few years back we happened upon a spot where guides were dumping the bears.... just happened to be in the bush behind land we were farming... it is sad to see 14 bear carcasses laying there going to waste... especially when these are grain fed bears and actually taste good... I personally think you should have to keep the meat from bears... If you don't want it then use it for dog food or give it to someone else... It is kinda sad that bear hunting is a trophy hunt because you have to keep the hide... I like the meat for sausage but have only shot 1 bear I wanted the hide from... at one point I had 7 bear hides in a freezer waiting to find someone who wanted them.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
hunter host is a joke. A waste of time and although I hunt Alberta every year and abide the bs of the host program it should go away. I have talked to numerous game warden about the host thing receiving numerous answers from "you dam near need to be holding hands" to as far as "as long as you can reach your host by cellular phone or radio." lmao And then to boot you can only have one host. Seems dumb.
An Alberta resident cannot hunt moose or elk in Saskatchewan except through an outfitter. Saskatchewan is now implementing new laws that will require Alberta residents to participate in a draw in order to hunt deer in Saskatchewan. In light of this, I have no sympothy for the arguement that the Alberta regulations should be changed to make it easier for Saskatchewan residents to hunt in Alberta.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
hunter host is a joke. A waste of time and although I hunt Alberta every year and abide the bs of the host program it should go away. I have talked to numerous game warden about the host thing receiving numerous answers from "you dam near need to be holding hands" to as far as "as long as you can reach your host by cellular phone or radio." lmao And then to boot you can only have one host. Seems dumb.

Personally I think this is an awesome program.......we're trying to get a program like this up here......tough sloggin' tho.

tm
Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
Not to point a finger at out of Provincers but how many of you guys think the lax regs for Alberta get taken advantage of or bent to ones advantage? And what changes would you make to the regs to stop it.
Happens everywhere and it doesn't matter what province/country they come from.

Some Albertans bend the rules when they go out of province to...

Best thing would be to get everyone from out of province to either be with a licensed resident or guide and hold those people equally accountable for their guests or clients actions.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 PM

I think we have a great Hunter Host program. It would only take a little more enforcement to clean up abuses. Even a couple of follow-up phone calls by F&W would cut down the abuse significantly.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
A few years back we happened upon a spot where guides were dumping the bears.... just happened to be in the bush behind land we were farming... it is sad to see 14 bear carcasses laying there going to waste... especially when these are grain fed bears and actually taste good... I personally think you should have to keep the meat from bears... If you don't want it then use it for dog food or give it to someone else... It is kinda sad that bear hunting is a trophy hunt because you have to keep the hide... I like the meat for sausage but have only shot 1 bear I wanted the hide from... at one point I had 7 bear hides in a freezer waiting to find someone who wanted them.
I think for for bears it should be an "either or" rule. So either you keep the meat or the hide...some want the meat some want the hide.

LC
Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post

Personally I think this is an awesome program.......we're trying to get a program like this up here......tough sloggin' tho.

tm
its a lot better than to say "tough nuts, use an outfitter", but i wouldnt mind seeing the host dropped. of course that would just be one change id like to see.....another would be to get rid of allotments and have anyone wanting to hunt here go through a draw. it would level the playing field for the less wealthy hunters who would love to come to alberta to hunt say.....sheep at around 30k currently. i hate it that money gives someone more opportunity.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

The hunter host program has been watered down over the years, mostly because of complaints by the outfitting industry.

I for one want to be able to hunt with my buddy who was an Alberta resident for 50 years who now lives in Quebec when he comes and visits, just like I did when he lived here.

Abuses? Maybe, but I suspect a lot of "abuses" are some outfitters exaggerating stories "they heard from a reliable source".