Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If that video of the guy bolting up the flange on the end cap is indeed the same submersible (usually accompanied by people commenting on torque wrenches), then I’d say this was Darwin at work, at least for the CEO who was on board. Those flanges were absurdly thin & the bolts were small diameter & rather widely spaced. If the flanges were that thin, what was the main vessel wall thickness? Having such wide spacing between fasteners and thin flanges means lots of space for flex and leakage. Commercial H2O & heating system piping that I install that’s only operating @ 100-150 PSI is way more substantially built & it doesn’t even have lives @ immediate/instantaneous risk!

At least they wouldn’t have suffered, it would have been a pretty rapid death.
Most people know the kind of pressure that's in an oxygen cylinder (~3200psi).
To put this in perspective, if you lowered an oxygen cylinder to the depth they were at when they lost signal (~2500 meters), and poked a hole in it, water would rush in.
Let that sink in for a minute....
And there they are in a questionable vessel doing it.
No thanks.
If there's a plus here, it's that they likely didn't even know what happened. Instant lights out.
Better than suffocating over days, I would say.
RIP
Old 06-24-2023, 04:34 PM

Can’t wait for the virgin galactic commercial flight this month .
Old 06-24-2023, 04:41 PM

This will give some perspective of how instantaneous this was over.

https://youtu.be/yHD6D612nXI
Old 06-24-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

The actual event, yes, but who's to know if it creaked, groaned, cracked, etc. for a bit before the actual event. Kind of like dying in a plane crash, while death is likely fairly instantaneous, not a great way to go IMO.
Old 06-24-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
The actual event, yes, but who's to know if it creaked, groaned, cracked, etc. for a bit before the actual event. Kind of like dying in a plane crash, while death is likely fairly instantaneous, not a great way to go IMO.
Agree. We will never know for sure. Horrific result regardless.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=HVA7mm;4644391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
James Cameron wades in with his opinion. He probably has to bear some responsibility because his film popularized the wreck and the story around it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9788737/t...james-cameron/

Grizz[/QUOTE

Bear some responsibility, really? If his film popularized the wreck, people could watch the film not climb into a non-certified deep diving submersible. That's like saying Charles Darwin should bear responsibility for the Darwin Awards, lol. We already have enough warning labels, I don't think that we need anymore of them.
Agree 100%. You can't fix stupid.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:37 PM

Global news this morning reported another source as claiming that the young fella was having second thoughts, when it came time to board he was reluctant to do so..
Old 06-25-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

Interesting video. I like the way he explained it.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The vessel was made of carbon fibre and titanium. No bend in either, therefore nothing to creak or moan.
In all honesty, the first crack wouldn't have even registered in their brains before they were dead.
Kind of like an egg miraculously supporting an elephant; when it can't anymore, there's no warning that happens slow enough for our brains to register.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
The vessel was made of carbon fibre and titanium. No bend in either, therefore nothing to creak or moan.
In all honesty, the first crack wouldn't have even registered in their brains before they were dead.
Kind of like an egg miraculously supporting an elephant; when it can't anymore, there's no warning that happens slow enough for our brains to register.
Well, word is they were descending, and before getting to the required depth, dropped the counter weights to come back up. They wouldn't have done that if they didn't know something was wrong.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Well, word is they were descending, and before getting to the required depth, dropped the counter weights to come back up. They wouldn't have done that if they didn't know something was wrong.
This is the first I've heard of that so I looked it up.

Would have been better without the 'warning system' in this case I guess.
Unlike the Titanic, we'll never know the details of this one.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Which leads a cynic like me to wonder about the wisdom of carbon fiber rifle barrels ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-25-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Which leads a cynic like me to wonder about the wisdom of carbon fiber rifle barrels ?

Grizz
The difference is the outside pressure and pressure inside the chamber are nowhere near that compared to the pressures dowm near the Titanic and inside a submersable.
That is why carbon fiber barrels work above sea level .
Cat
Old 06-25-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
My mechanical engineer friend explaibed to me the expansion differenses of titanium and carbon fibre and they are vastly different .
He also mentioned the two would not normally ( if at all) used together when pressures are encountered for thu
Is reason.
Cat
Old 06-25-2023, 09:58 AM

They wanted the Titanic experience and they got the Titanic experience….
Old 06-25-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The difference is the outside pressure and pressure inside the chamber are nowhere near that compared to the pressures dowm near the Titanic and inside a submersable.
That is why carbon fiber barrels work above sea level .

Cat
But, apparently stressing is cumulative in glass fiber and over time will weaken it ? Even airplanes are rated for take off and landing cycles.

Grizz

Old 06-25-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
But, apparently stressing is cumulative in glass fiber and over time will weaken it ? Even airplanes are rated for take off and landing cycles.

Grizz
Elasticity and temperature expansion rates are not the same thing.
Cat
Old 06-25-2023, 05:03 PM

https://youtu.be/LEBCc-Qpilw
Old 06-25-2023, 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=AI 6.5;4644590]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post

Agree 100%. You can't fix stupid.
No, but you can kill it.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:21 PM

https://t.me/c/1686764909/5088
So the whole world is focusing on 5 guys doing something stupid and getting distracted from the real news
Old 06-26-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
https://t.me/c/1686764909/5088
So the whole world is focusing on 5 guys doing something stupid and getting distracted from the real news
Always amazing the number of I told you so people, coming forward after events like this. Their 5 minutes of fame.

Grizz

Old 06-26-2023, 09:26 AM

No doubt their families are devastated and deserve our sympathy.
I feel about the same as I do about climbers who fall of a wall or get stuck or skiers who gotta have the thrill of skiing avalanche zones and then expect the mountain rescue crews to risk their own lives to bail them out when things turn to excrement.

Invariably there is a selling job that went on including all kinds of assurances as to the safety and cutting edge whatnot of the sub to entice those with money to pay.
Sadly it appears there was more sizzle than steak - sometimes the thrill of danger gets too real...

It is more than sad that the same week approximately 600 African migrants perished trying to cross the Mediterranean to Greece and got nowhere near the news coverage nor the rescue resources that were committed to these five rich guys
Old 06-26-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post

It is more than sad that the same week approximately 600 African migrants perished trying to cross the Mediterranean to Greece and got nowhere near the news coverage nor the rescue resources that were committed to these five rich guys
X2
Old 06-26-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
It's quite telling, isn't it.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:19 AM

The Titanic still killing millionaires over a hundred years later.
terrible
Old 06-26-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
The Titanic still killing millionaires over a hundred years later.
terrible
Good observation.

Grizz

Old 06-26-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Besides the media made decision about what constitutes a human interest story and associated revenue generating click bait/sound bites, there is another reason the refugees and migrants are ignored en masse.
Nobody wants to be fined or imprisoned for adhering to International Marine Law.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dichotomy.jpg (29.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg dichotomy 1.jpg (28.5 KB, 73 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-26-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Besides the media made decision about what constitutes a human interest story and associated revenue generating click bait/sound bites, there is another reason the refugees and migrants are ignored en masse.
Nobody wants to be fined or imprisoned for adhering to International Marine Law.
Migrants are an ongoing crisis without a solution, so everyone just ignores it, until periodically it becomes dramatic.

Grizz

Old 06-26-2023, 11:44 AM

I believe that the company behind Ocean Gate should be responsible for all the costs for the rescue efforts and resources used.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:21 PM

Default James Cameron

James Cameron slammed the Alberta oil sands to achieve favourable publicity for himself and his films at some costs to Albertans. He is now milking the submersible event for all that he can for his own gains and for no other reasons in my opinion. It's all about the money.

Why was there a need for him to have already made 33 visits to the site and who paid the bills.