Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Wmu 406

I'm considering hunting 406 this year either somewhere between elbow lake and the little elbow campground or around ing's mine. Anyone familiar with the area have any suggestions? If someone is looking for moose in 208 or mule deer in 158 that knows 406 well maybe we could trade some info
Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 AM

What are you intending on hunting for?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:51 PM

Darn shouldn't have left that out. Between the two of us we will be hunting for mule deer and whitetail possibly elk but that will depend on our scouting.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellswrong View Post
Darn shouldn't have left that out. Between the two of us we will be hunting for mule deer and whitetail possibly elk but that will depend on our scouting.
And your priority in the draws. All those animals require a special licence.

Unusual places to be focusing on deer and elk.

Be honest, by saying deer and elk, you really meant sheep. ?

Straight advice, If you are looking for deer and elk, I wouldn't spend much time in the areas you are asking about, except maybe for Mulies.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 PM

Yeah I have priority for them. I'll be going for muley predominantly and my cousin will go for both whitetail and mule deer. Elk isent something I'm after in this wmu but my cousin might be it it's semi worthwhile.

Surprisingly I did not mean sheep although I'll be on the look out for another year.

Muley will be something I'm really after. If there's nothing there I'll probably look for another spot offering a similar experience but if there's a chance then I'm going to go for it. Sounds like most guys are hitting the tree line for the majority of the year Ill have to start there.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM

There is definitely better places to find mule deer in 406 then where you are thinking. That area has high volume of traffic from June till November and chances of seeing a mulie worth while is fairly slim.. and I'd be surprised if you even seen a whitetail in that neck of the woods. I would definitely be putting my efforts for deer on the eastern part of the zone !! Just my .02 cents ..

Mamba
Old 01-30-2017, 06:20 PM

There are animals in there, but it's not easy.......too many trees for the critters to hide behind.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 PM

As others have mentioned, I would be looking further east of where you have mentioned...for all of those species.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 PM

406 is huge. Ive hunted in there in several places.
I havent quite given up on elk in there, but certainly wouldnt use up points to draw in there.
drawing md is easy, however if you want something to hang on the wall, not so easy to find.
but for a meat hunt, its fair.

what about 412? Just as good habitat without using points. Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 PM

Thanks for all the help Blackmamba I've heard you're pretty familiar with the area thanks for the info. Thanks for the help. I think I'll scout it or one weekend and then make a decision. I really want to stay in the mountains but maybe I'll check out another wmu. Thanks pekan I'll check 412 out.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:31 PM

406 is a huge WMU and u have basically 3 months to hunt it , lots of good habitat for mulies and if you spend some weekends this summer scouting you will find what your after. Shoot me a Pm if you have any questions ..

Mamba
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 PM

If you want success, hunt around Ing's mine.

If you want solitude, hunt along the little or big elbow. Approach from elbow lake as there are still bridges out coming the other way from Highway 66.

I would recommend sticking to deer.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
If you want success, hunt around Ing's mine.

If you want solitude, hunt along the little or big elbow.
If I hunt around ing's mine am I going to be running into alot of other people or is it possible to find some solitude?

About 7 years ago my cousin and I made a trip to the ice cave near ing's mine and planned on camping somewhere in the area. We were the only ones at the cave so we slept right at the mouth of it. It was one of the best overnights I've had.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
If I hunt around ing's mine am I going to be running into alot of other people or is it possible to find some solitude?

About 7 years ago my cousin and I made a trip to the ice cave near ing's mine and planned on camping somewhere in the area. We were the only ones at the cave so we slept right at the mouth of it. It was one of the best overnights I've had.
Above ings mine is moose mtn. Its a very popular day hike. Also that whole area is really popular with mtn bikers. So on a weekend in early season, it will be busy.
but there are critters in there.

if you like the high country, theres other areas in 406 worth looking. Im just not going to say where! Dont want to ruin all the fun for you.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:

As with anything, the deeper you go, away from the main roads, the quieter it will be. Of course that means a lot longer haul out if you are successful. You can buy a map of the trails which highlight the mountain bike/multi-use trails. It is also on the Kananaskis and Bragg Creek websites.

Overall, I find 406 patchy wrt game. There are some patches with high populations and patches that seem barren. Explore a bit, especially in the spring, when game is more visible, or early fall after a light snow, when density of tracks gives some idea on worthwhile areas.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM

Seen a few really good Mule deer in that zone. I don't know about Jeff but it's at the top of my list to burn my PP on.
You never know where deer pop out, lots of times they come sleep beside your tent and lick the spots you take a ****. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks again for the help I do enjoy the high Country and really want to hunt it this year. I have a map as I've been hiking in the area but I think I would like to blaze my own trail to a certain degree. I'll take your advice and look in the spring hopefully find one of the areas that pekan and Jadham are taking about.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for the help I do enjoy the high Country and really want to hunt it this year. I have a map as I've been hiking in the area but I think I would like to blaze my own trail to a certain degree. I'll take your advice and look in the spring hopefully find one of the areas that pekan and Jadham are taking about.
It's always good to get out and learn the area, any trip will not be a waste.
Just be aware that scouting in the spring will tell you where the animals are in spring, but not necessarily where they will be in the fall.
These mountain animals typically travel 20-50 km to winter range.

Years ago I found a fantastic set of Mulie sheds near Little Elbow Campground.
Later learned that this buck spent summer holidays in BC.

Low density migratory populations mean you need to do your learnin' the hard way to be successful. Put in the time and the secrets will be revealed.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-31-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
These mountain animals typically travel 20-50 km to winter range.
Good point I actually got ahold of a biologist studying cervidae behaviour and I'm hoping she may be able to help me with migration routes or at least better understand behaviour. I've definitely spent time in other wmu's and become quite aware of places the animals are not located.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Seen a few really good Mule deer in that zone. I don't know about Jeff but it's at the top of my list to burn my PP on.
You never know where deer pop out, lots of times they come sleep beside your tent and lick the spots you take a ****. Good luck.

I'm burning it this year buddy !! He's going down ..

Mamba
Old 01-31-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
That's exactly what I wanted to hear I'm set in this zone now.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:20 PM

If it was me I'd have a sheep tag in my pocket.
If you don't find any deer you might just have to settle
on a ram....
Old 01-31-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad View Post
If it was me I'd have a sheep tag in my pocket.
If you don't find any deer you might just have to settle
on a ram....
I was thinking that same thing if im lucky enough to see one i would hate to be missing that little piece of paper.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 PM

I'd be interesting in scouting 406 if you'd like some company, I've got draws for deer in the WMU.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datpmf1 View Post
I'd be interesting in scouting 406 if you'd like some company, I've got draws for deer in the WMU.
Hey Ive been doing some scouting I am looking for mule deer elk and sheep but if you have an antlered white tail tag PM me ive seen afew nice bucks. Youre planning on backpacking in?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 AM

Edited
Old 07-27-2017, 09:32 AM

I've got antlerless elk, antlerless WT and antlered muley for 406 this year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Don't love to put cams in 406 but found a decent WT this week. Plus a young bull moose, a doe, and another doe with twins, pretty cool

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM

Awesome trail camera pictures. Thank you, for sharing! Makes me want to set my camera up in the area, however, I am also wary of someone taking it.

Has anyone made it out? I 9999 this year, but will be out for fun in the area mid October. If anyone big game hunting is looking for a tag along send me a message.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 AM

It’s a Friday night and I can’t sleep – so here I am. I use to hunt alone in 406 from about 1997 till around 2005. I usually camped at Little Elbow. I harvested a couple of mulie doe’s, but it was tough hunting and packing them out on foot. I did see some nice sized bucks, but could never climb fast enough to get a shot - its steep country to hunt – you have to hunt only the high country out there for them.
The biggest issue was the amount of granola munchers from the city around on the weekends. After the first few years I would leave my camp set up and go home on the weekends – you couldn’t swing a cat without hitting a group of mountain bikers or day hikers on a Saturday afternoon. I lost count of the number of times people rolled or walked past me oblivious to my presence while I was trying to still hunt in the bush in the lower elevations (Not to mention the shocked and dirty looks I got if I was walking along or across any of the trails dressed in full camo with a rifle on my shoulder)
Mondays to Thursdays were the best day to hunt out there. That’s my 2 cents. Always remember YMMV. PS: I wish I had a few trail cameras back then – Great photos NS
Ducknut.