Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Default "My Spot"

Had a very interesting encounter with a guy this morning. Parked my truck at 5:30 am at the only public access to 3 1/4s of awesome Crown land. Hiked in, set up, called two different bulls in (shooter and a rag) and walked back out. Didn't see or hear any sign of another guy anywhere in the area. A couple hours later a greasy looking little guy pulls into camp screaming about how "I ruined his hunt". Managed to decipher through his obscene rant that he owns a 1/4 that borders the Crown. He had walked in from his yard apparently and unbeknownst to me I had got between him and a bugling bull. This guy screamed for ten minutes about "******* ethics" and then tells me "stay out of my spot or I'll call the fish cops".

How in depth does he expect a person to get when checking for other hunters prior to walking in? Should I rent a chopper and scan it all with thermal imaging first?

He has spent the last four hours screaming up and down the lease road we're camped on, making dust and firing an SKS or something steady. Rcmp don't care, Fish and Wildlife will be another couple days before they call back most likely.

This stuff gets worse every year
Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM

if your hunting crown land, I would tell him to pound sand and then kindly give him the F & W phone number.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM

Sounds like a real winner...Better set up some trail cams around your camp, you will likely have a visitor while you'er out hunting...

Cohod
Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM

we had an incident like this 2 years ago but with out the yelling and ranting
my friend walked across the road from his parents farm and was laying in a combine rut in wheat field that we have permission to hunt.
When a guy came up and set up in the trees behind him in a position that would be shooting at or over my friend. i got the text and had to leave my stand to warn the other hunter as he had no idea there was a person out there. and really he did nothing wrong ( he also had permission from the land owner). From that day on we always make sure to park a vehicle at the entrance to the fields we hunt to make people think twice at least that there is other hunters in the fields

you did nothing wrong if it is crown land you were on how are you to know there is someone else in the area with no vehicle parked
Old 09-13-2017, 04:22 PM

What wmu?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Carry the app IHunter on your phone and check your position where you're hunting, maybe you did step into his land. At the end of the day if the CO shows up you'll end up getting charge with trespassing.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
Carry the app IHunter on your phone and check your position where you're hunting, maybe you did step into his land. At the end of the day if the CO shows up you'll end up getting charge with trespassing.
Just guessing, but it sounds more to me like the landowner may have been hunting the crown land (or near it) thinking he owns it as well.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
Carry the app IHunter on your phone and check your position where you're hunting, maybe you did step into his land. At the end of the day if the CO shows up you MIGHT end up getting charge with trespassing.
Fixed it for you...
How does one know this mad foul mouthed idiot even owns a blade of grass in the alleged infraction zone ?

Some people think thye can buffalo others into leaving an open area to themselves if they scream rant and rave enough.

Keep an eye out for this idiot is all I can say.
Rob
Old 09-15-2017, 12:00 PM

So sorry to hear about your experience.

Its a CRIME to harass or prevent someone from lawfully hunting, under s. 47 of the Wildlife Act.