Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Default heavy duty

i know hes always featured on another magazine. but in the last issue of bb they say hes poached and showed some pics. in the editorial buddy says they got word he was poached. how do they know this? and how do you get any taxidermy done on a famous set of antlers like that?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 PM

*ig *uck Editor/ Photographer *arry *onald, would know. And if he didn't, would be able to track something down on some of those deer. He gets to know them, in addition to getting to know lots of landowners.
And, yes it would be difficult to get such a well known/ much video'ed/ photographed buck mounted.
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM

I posted this earlie on another thread about him. I can't see haow the guy could say it got poached. If you are going to say something like that your should have some sort of reason to back up your statement. Even if he did have reason to believe it he should have kept his mouth shut and waited the guy out. The deer would have shown up somewhere. Now it is going to stay hidden and good luck catching the guy.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Garry probably can't mention names and places right now because it is probably still before the courts and anything published may hamper the trial,I don't know.Garry is a pretty stand up guy,I don't think he would be shooting his mouth off,he probably has facts.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM

Hey i was thinking the same thing. Maybe Chain2 could enlighten us?? He took some great photos of him over the years,but yes there must be reasons why no more info.Guess we'll maybe have to see what the next edition of BB has to say.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 PM

I made a thread about Heavy Duty too. Gary watches this deer everyday I bet and he knows his routes. Dont know how he knows but he could be right
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM

anyone have a picture of said deer?.....and or a land description so i can do some investigating on my own?...lol..jk
Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM

the deer lived in the harris game reserve about an hour south east of rosetown sask. My family grew up within a few miles of there and we have got some vid od some awsome bucks in there. my dad used to tell me storys of some of the deer they used to see in there in when he was younger.
Im making a trip out there this summer to do some more video if anyone is intrested in tagging along let me know... it will blow your mind what lives in there.
buckbrushoutdoors
Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM

How big of an area is it? would love to see some of your picutres if you have some of the big ones on camera
Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
anyone have a picture of said deer?.....and or a land description so i can do some investigating on my own?...lol..jk
http://www.bigbuckmag.com/videogallery.html
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM

The Harris game reserve isnt huge but still not to bad of a size. Its absolutely infested with deer, be very careful on the hiway theres always dead deer in the ditch. I used to hunt around Rosetown and area a few years ago and ya there are some huge deer there but the hunting pressure in the imiediate area is outragous. Its just one vehicle after another over and over and over again, I actually avoid the area now just due to the high number of road hunters, but hey whatever floats your boat.

Awsome place to take pics/video of deer. Seen some huge mulies there.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Yea the hunting presure is prety intense but in august it can be awsome you wont see another soul and dr. fish is rite the mulies in there are huge the biggest one i have ever seen was in there, thought it was an elk walking through the buck brush i just about got his picture but he busted me.