Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2008, 11:25 PM

Default Looking for a gun dog

I'm looking for a field bred English Springer Spaniel or Brittany. Does anyone know where I can find a reputable breeder? Preferably in central or Southern Alberta.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 AM

I just picked up my springer pup a few weeks ago from a breeder in Montana. Contact Tim Whitney at 406-357-3840. My springer of 14 years passed away in July and while surfing the net looking for a pup i came across his kennel. The reason i went with him is his dogs have the same blood lines as my springer had. I couldnt have asked for a better dog then the one i had so iwent with the same blood lines.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 AM

Default springers

Get a hold of syd pellow ( SPELLOW) on line handle

Last edited by hunterb; 10-27-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: not enough info
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

Spellow can handle the Springer end, there are lots of Brittany breeders in Sask and Alberta that can hook you up with a quality dog. The Springer and Brittany are very diverse dogs in their hunting style so I would suggest that you do some thinking on what it is you really want from a dog in the field before you choose which breed.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:06 PM

I have a Brittany Spaniel from Islandview Brittanies. She is in BC but they flew him to Edmonton for me. They have a litter of pups on the ground and another one expected for the summer.

My dog is Rev and I am 100% satisfied with him in all areas.

http://www.islandviewbrittanys.com/P...wners2008.html
Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 PM

Default Hey Blake

Not sure exactly where you are located...

Breeders I'd reccommend for field bred springers are:

Skaar Kennels just south of Calgary

Bushbuster Kennels also just south of Calgary

Ponderosa Springers in Montana (expecting a litter this summer/fall...both parents UK imports)...I've seen both work...great dogs

Expressway Kennels in Regina, Sask

Abbit Like Home Kennels in the Edmonton area

There are some breeders in the Vermillion area, unsure as to kennels names though.

I'm expecting to have a litter this fall, but not sure if you are wanting to wait that long. One of my training buddies here in town is probably also going to be breeding his bitch (UK import and also a nice dog) sometime this year...possibly to the stud from Ponderosa.

If you want, send me an e-mail at spellow@canopycanada.net or baronwolf@hotmail.com and I'll set you up with contact info for the breeders I mentioned.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Default field dog

My 2 cents, German short hair, my 15 year old in July still has the best nose, even points on Robins on the lawn, cats also, but as a field dog can't beat them.

Some good breeders in the Lethbridge area.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
My 2 cents, German short hair, my 15 year old in July still has the best nose, even points on Robins on the lawn, cats also, but as a field dog can't beat them.

Some good breeders in the Lethbridge area.
each to their own...people stick to what they are taught...or what their friends advise them of...I try to keep an open mind and value the strengths of each variety of gundog. I get enjoyment out of watching any good dog at work, whether it be flushing, retrieving, or pointing

Different types of cover or different styles of bird hunting dictate which dog serves what purpose best...as simple as the right tool for the right job.

hunting lodge up by Empress houses britneys, springers, labs and setters...and he works them all...far as I'm concerned smartest guy I've ever met...for a back woods bird guide...LOL
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM

I bought a dog from Vindabalkan (assuming that the person on here and who I bought my lab from are the same person) I got a Choc Lab and he has been great from Geese ducks Pheasent and grouse. I hunted over his brittneys and in general had nothing but a great experience dealing with him nad his family. Not sure if they ar still breeding but look in to them. They were in teh Castor area. Something new that raised its head last year out of the Blue last fall my Lab started ponting on pheasents. Love the dog and has been very healty since I got him.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

So now I have to call them as Pointing Labs? Good to hear your dog is working out well for you.