Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2021, 05:55 PM

Default 2021 936 Hunting Thread!

Well, today is the rifle opener for 936!

This thread is for everyone to share experiences of hunting this unique area.

Myself, I've been out for a bit with the boys, chasing grouse, mostly. My oldest is after a deer and my youngest has a bull moose tag (I did warn him what he was getting himself into... But he just grinned and told me that he would rely on my "old man strength" to haul it out... Just great...)

It's been years since I pulled a tag in there, but I have some promising spots that we're going to check out.

At any rate, we did some poking around during the archery season, and I'm looking forward to more days in there. Just need to get some more days off so I can do more mid-week hunting in there.

Always fun, and it sure is great to be out with the kids!
Old 11-01-2021, 07:56 PM

I live close yet have never hunted it. Looking forward to this thread.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:55 PM

I was out there this morning also looking for a bull moose. Saw a white tail and a cow elk right before shooting light. Last year I filled my cow elk tag and had a hell of a time getting it back to the truck, but that's all part of the experience!
Old 11-02-2021, 08:16 PM

Can’t wait to hear your about your great feats of old man strength after your son drops a big bull in the nastiest place possible
Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 PM

936? is that the blackfoot area in strathcona county? were there any special requirements to get a tag in there or just a normal draw? i live only up the road 1/4 mile from there
Old 11-02-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseavs View Post
936? is that the blackfoot area in strathcona county? were there any special requirements to get a tag in there or just a normal draw? i live only up the road 1/4 mile from there
Lucky you! There are specific requirements and restrictions for hunting in the park - for instance, you can't shoot coyotes or rabbits (among others), and there is no Sunday hunting. Muscular-powered access only (hiking, biking or horse). That sort of thing. You also need to ensure that you don't shoot an animal across the fence in Elk Island park (it has happened!)

There is also a permit that you need to fill out, print and carry with you - you need to declare that you have read understand the rules etc. They used to have in-person classes that they held (they were really good), but now there is an online form and declaration: https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertap...charge-permit/

Not for the faint of heart, but it is rewarding. It's a huge area and you can expect to burn a lot of boot leather!
Old 11-02-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Can’t wait to hear your about your great feats of old man strength after your son drops a big bull in the nastiest place possible
Oh, you KNOW that's going to be the case!

The other evening I was surprised on the way back to the car... I saw a lynx. Hadn't seen one in the park before. Was neat to see!
Old 11-03-2021, 12:28 PM

936 is a pleasure to hunt. Every year I've been in there, I've seen a ton of moose sign in the Northeast corner.

With the hog sightings in Elk Island, I'm curious if they will make their way to the Blackfoot as well.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
With the hog sightings in Elk Island, I'm curious if they will make their way to the Blackfoot as well.
I'm wondering about that as well... There have been informational posters about the hogs at the staging areas for a few months now... I think the first time I saw those were last Spring. So they are there.

Come to think of it, 3Blade posted a picture of where hogs tracked up an area in Blackfoot in this post in the "Wild Pigs in EINP" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Yeah, they’re in there. Found this last year hunting moose.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:47 PM

Default Moose down!

An interesting thread here. Looking forward to reading the stories of trials and tribulations that go along with hunting this unique area.

Well, I guess I will start one off. Drawing a bull moose tag this year had me excited from the get-go as I had been spending a lot of time in this area the past several years. While I made an attempt during the bow season things were quiet and the moose I saw seemed rutted out, or so I thought.. One of my biggest issues with this area is the bow season and why it isn’t open Sept 1 to Oct 31 for archery, but that is a rant for another day. After bow season wrapped up unsuccessful it was time to switch gears, sight in the rifle and test out some new handloaded copper Barnes TTSX 168g bullets a friend had loaded for me. They were money, and with under an inch group at 100 yards we were in business. Wednesday morning arrived and I pulled into the parking lot well before legal to begin the hike in. The morning was frosty and brisk at -5C, calm and still. This made the approach slower than I had budgeted for as it was difficult to maneuver without sounding like a freight train with every step. My original plan was modified as I did not have enough time to make it to the top of the section I wanted to start with at this pace. Once there was just enough light to move through the bush, I decided to cut a corner through the timber up to the top of a hill where I would have a good vantage point over the area. As I quietly maneuvered up and over the downfall, I slid onto a decent game trail that would take me right where I wanted to go. Every 5 steps I would pause and listen and glass through the trees whenever there was new terrain to inspect. Legal was fast approaching and I was still 80-90 yards from getting to where I needed to be to have a decent look over the area and this last stretch would take at least 10-15min to stalk through.
At last, I managed slink through the dense understory to the edge of the forest overlooking a moose oasis. As soon as I got to the edge, I could instantly see the dark silhouette of my quarry on the far side of the frozen wetland. A moose, I quickly scanned for antlers but was having trouble confirming their presence. At 329 yards it wasn’t obvious. At this point I saw a second moose below the first in the willows. My first assessment was a young bull with a cow, but this proved incorrect. As I continued to scan, I saw a third moose further up the slope to the east of the first moose. He was a young bull and the fur on his back was covered in frost. He must have just gotten up. It was a spectacular scene I had all to myself. After the quick scene size up, I returned to the young bull I first saw, there was no steady rest in front of me and the shrubs were too thick for prone. I tried kneeling but looking through the scope the rest wasn’t anywhere near steady enough and I knew that. I looked down below me and there were some thicker shrubs I thought I could use as a rest. I worked my down and realized when I got there that there wasn’t a hope they would serve as rest. I glassed the bull moose again and he was staring straight at me from just over 310 yards, he heard my movements there was no question. The other moose were still calm and browsing so I took some time to let the bull calm down. I had dropped my pack before exiting the timber and being halfway down the hillside now I decided the only thing I could do was try and get closer. I crawled on my hands and knees through the shrubs for another 20 yards until I was almost at the edge of the pond. There was a fallen tree from a beaver and it was the perfect rest. The problem was the hill was steep so as I laid prone, with the gun rested on the fallen tree my neck was kinked mighty awkwardly. My bull had fixed his eyes and ears back on me again as my stealth mode crawling through the bush was evidently not stealthy enough. The sun was starting to rise just east of the moose, so the scope was getting washed out with sunlight from certain angles. As I re-assessed the situation, I realized I was now in good shape. Steady rest, 289 yards and there was not 3 but four moose and they were all bulls! Two bulls looked like 2-year old’s and what I thought was a cow was a yearling bull. The newest addition to the group was the largest bull and was nestled below the hillside and only became visible as he walked up hill towards the timber. While I was originally content with a bull, any bull, I suddenly gravitated towards the bigger bull for the taking. The problem was he was walking away from me up hill and the yearling bull was standing broadside ripe for the pickings. I waited. The bigger bull eventually turned broadside but the 2-year-old was directly behind him, I waited some more. The moose were in no hurry but were slowly walking towards the tree line now, I knew that this moment and opportunity was now going to begin to fade. At this point I had been watching the moose through the scope for more than 10 minutes and my neck was in a lot of discomfort. Stick it out I thought. The rest was steady, the distance known, the larger bull was now isolated enough I just needed him to turn broadside. He looked back, he swayed side to side gently raking the willows but nothing I wanted to take. Right when I thought I should have taken the shot presented by the smaller bull he turned, broadside, but slightly quartered away. At 289 yards I aimed for the top of lungs and slowly, deliberately, squeezed the trigger.
The shot rang out across the dead air, I reloaded and searched for target through the scope, with the sun now over the horizon I couldn’t immediately locate the bull. There, I found him, standing in the same spot, wait, I lost him. Suddenly the moose all bolted into the timber. Almost instantly I could hear the clear gasping and wheezing of a lung shot followed by branches breaking. I got him, I thought to myself and let the nerves settle down. After waiting 10 minutes I made the walk around the frozen beaver pond to where the moose were browsing to hopefully find a blood trail. I could see the fresh lanes through the shrubs from the moose where the frost was knocked off but no blood trail. I moved in the direction of where they entered the bush and proceeded to make large have circles trying to pick the blood trail. Every hill I crested and log I stepped over I expected to see my moose piled up but there was nothing. No blood, no sound, no moose. I continued searching for 15 minutes expanding the radius into the bush when I began to feel unsettled. I started to feel sick to my stomach, I felt uneasy and worried I had not killed the moose. What if I missed and blew my chance? Even worse, what if I hit him but he is only wounded. Thoughts started racing through my mind and emotions come flooding in. I was confident in the shot, and I heard wheezing, something isn’t right I thought. I head back to where I thought the moose was standing when I fired my shot to try and reset and start the process over. As I push through the tall shrubs back on the hillside I am startled. I step on a dead moose. There he is, exactly where he was when I shot him, this moose didn’t go 20. I am relieved and thankful the morning hunt has turned into a success. With a lot of help from a friend and 3 trips later I am home for dinner with my family. On the pack out we walk through the area I had bow hunted previously and new, fresh rubs were all around, maybe they were not rutted out after all. Or perhaps, the second rut is just beginning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211103_164654r.jpg (111.7 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211103_160010r.jpg (104.5 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211103_095759r.jpg (106.6 KB, 563 views)
Old 11-04-2021, 11:18 PM

Awesome!👍. Couldn’t stop reading, wife said something but not sure!
Old 11-05-2021, 06:20 AM

Awesome story and congrats on the moose.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:35 AM

Great story for the years to come. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:34 AM

Awesome story and pics, sendmethem!

I have some days off planned here shortly to go chase them again. Have to balance hunting time with work and the need to fix my other son's truck... Sigh...
Old 11-05-2021, 12:48 PM

Great story, great ending. Congrats.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmethem View Post
An interesting thread here. Looking forward to reading the stories of trials and tribulations that go along with hunting this unique area.

Well, I guess I will start one off. Drawing a bull moose tag this year had me excited from the get-go as I had been spending a lot of time in this area the past several years. While I made an attempt during the bow season things were quiet and the moose I saw seemed rutted out, or so I thought.. One of my biggest issues with this area is the bow season and why it isn’t open Sept 1 to Oct 31 for archery, but that is a rant for another day. After bow season wrapped up unsuccessful it was time to switch gears, sight in the rifle and test out some new handloaded copper Barnes TTSX 168g bullets a friend had loaded for me. They were money, and with under an inch group at 100 yards we were in business. Wednesday morning arrived and I pulled into the parking lot well before legal to begin the hike in. The morning was frosty and brisk at -5C, calm and still. This made the approach slower than I had budgeted for as it was difficult to maneuver without sounding like a freight train with every step. My original plan was modified as I did not have enough time to make it to the top of the section I wanted to start with at this pace. Once there was just enough light to move through the bush, I decided to cut a corner through the timber up to the top of a hill where I would have a good vantage point over the area. As I quietly maneuvered up and over the downfall, I slid onto a decent game trail that would take me right where I wanted to go. Every 5 steps I would pause and listen and glass through the trees whenever there was new terrain to inspect. Legal was fast approaching and I was still 80-90 yards from getting to where I needed to be to have a decent look over the area and this last stretch would take at least 10-15min to stalk through.
At last, I managed slink through the dense understory to the edge of the forest overlooking a moose oasis. As soon as I got to the edge, I could instantly see the dark silhouette of my quarry on the far side of the frozen wetland. A moose, I quickly scanned for antlers but was having trouble confirming their presence. At 329 yards it wasn’t obvious. At this point I saw a second moose below the first in the willows. My first assessment was a young bull with a cow, but this proved incorrect. As I continued to scan, I saw a third moose further up the slope to the east of the first moose. He was a young bull and the fur on his back was covered in frost. He must have just gotten up. It was a spectacular scene I had all to myself. After the quick scene size up, I returned to the young bull I first saw, there was no steady rest in front of me and the shrubs were too thick for prone. I tried kneeling but looking through the scope the rest wasn’t anywhere near steady enough and I knew that. I looked down below me and there were some thicker shrubs I thought I could use as a rest. I worked my down and realized when I got there that there wasn’t a hope they would serve as rest. I glassed the bull moose again and he was staring straight at me from just over 310 yards, he heard my movements there was no question. The other moose were still calm and browsing so I took some time to let the bull calm down. I had dropped my pack before exiting the timber and being halfway down the hillside now I decided the only thing I could do was try and get closer. I crawled on my hands and knees through the shrubs for another 20 yards until I was almost at the edge of the pond. There was a fallen tree from a beaver and it was the perfect rest. The problem was the hill was steep so as I laid prone, with the gun rested on the fallen tree my neck was kinked mighty awkwardly. My bull had fixed his eyes and ears back on me again as my stealth mode crawling through the bush was evidently not stealthy enough. The sun was starting to rise just east of the moose, so the scope was getting washed out with sunlight from certain angles. As I re-assessed the situation, I realized I was now in good shape. Steady rest, 289 yards and there was not 3 but four moose and they were all bulls! Two bulls looked like 2-year old’s and what I thought was a cow was a yearling bull. The newest addition to the group was the largest bull and was nestled below the hillside and only became visible as he walked up hill towards the timber. While I was originally content with a bull, any bull, I suddenly gravitated towards the bigger bull for the taking. The problem was he was walking away from me up hill and the yearling bull was standing broadside ripe for the pickings. I waited. The bigger bull eventually turned broadside but the 2-year-old was directly behind him, I waited some more. The moose were in no hurry but were slowly walking towards the tree line now, I knew that this moment and opportunity was now going to begin to fade. At this point I had been watching the moose through the scope for more than 10 minutes and my neck was in a lot of discomfort. Stick it out I thought. The rest was steady, the distance known, the larger bull was now isolated enough I just needed him to turn broadside. He looked back, he swayed side to side gently raking the willows but nothing I wanted to take. Right when I thought I should have taken the shot presented by the smaller bull he turned, broadside, but slightly quartered away. At 289 yards I aimed for the top of lungs and slowly, deliberately, squeezed the trigger.
The shot rang out across the dead air, I reloaded and searched for target through the scope, with the sun now over the horizon I couldn’t immediately locate the bull. There, I found him, standing in the same spot, wait, I lost him. Suddenly the moose all bolted into the timber. Almost instantly I could hear the clear gasping and wheezing of a lung shot followed by branches breaking. I got him, I thought to myself and let the nerves settle down. After waiting 10 minutes I made the walk around the frozen beaver pond to where the moose were browsing to hopefully find a blood trail. I could see the fresh lanes through the shrubs from the moose where the frost was knocked off but no blood trail. I moved in the direction of where they entered the bush and proceeded to make large have circles trying to pick the blood trail. Every hill I crested and log I stepped over I expected to see my moose piled up but there was nothing. No blood, no sound, no moose. I continued searching for 15 minutes expanding the radius into the bush when I began to feel unsettled. I started to feel sick to my stomach, I felt uneasy and worried I had not killed the moose. What if I missed and blew my chance? Even worse, what if I hit him but he is only wounded. Thoughts started racing through my mind and emotions come flooding in. I was confident in the shot, and I heard wheezing, something isn’t right I thought. I head back to where I thought the moose was standing when I fired my shot to try and reset and start the process over. As I push through the tall shrubs back on the hillside I am startled. I step on a dead moose. There he is, exactly where he was when I shot him, this moose didn’t go 20. I am relieved and thankful the morning hunt has turned into a success. With a lot of help from a friend and 3 trips later I am home for dinner with my family. On the pack out we walk through the area I had bow hunted previously and new, fresh rubs were all around, maybe they were not rutted out after all. Or perhaps, the second rut is just beginning.

Fantastic write up. It felt like I was right there with you. Such relief to find the moose after the gut wrenching feelings of not finding blood, sign or a moose where you expect it to be. There is no greater feeling as finding it down and getting to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2021, 08:40 PM

Congrats on the moose. Thank you for the detailed write up, it was awesome to read!

Old 11-06-2021, 10:38 PM

Congrats David and Tea good work to hauling Cow Moose from 936
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1642(1)[7171].jpg (156.7 KB, 354 views)
File Type: gif thumbs_up.gif (7.3 KB, 766 views)
Old 11-08-2021, 02:53 PM

Default blackfoot

dropped my camo toque with head lamp on the siksika trail on saturday.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornram View Post
dropped my camo toque with head lamp on the siksika trail on saturday.
Hope it turns up!

...or it gives you a good excuse to hurry out there again for another hunt...
Old 11-09-2021, 09:49 AM

So, went out there on Saturday again. Was a gorgeous day, and even though we didn't find the moose that we were after, my son and I had a great time. We knew going in, that given the fact that it was a Saturday and that the weather was fair, we would encounter a fair amount of hunters and recreational users.

It was interesting, one of the areas that we hunt was now quite visible from the road due to the lack of foliage, and naturally, there was the odd truck driving back and forth, hunting the exposed hillside. Based on the amount of moose skulls we found on that hillside, those hunters must have had success in the past. So, in the future, we'll consider that a good "archery season" area.

We ended up moving locations a few times, one area we completely abandoned since we kept bumping into another hunter and his companion.

My son wanted to check an area that he thought held promise earlier, one he discovered a few weeks ago when hunting with his older brother. Although we didn't find "the spot", we found some really pretty areas well off the beaten path. That being said, the moose sign was not plentiful or fresh at this point.

In the early afternoon, we made a plan to check another area that we knew of. It's a little more out of the way and not as heavily used. We had several points targeted to check out, and the last one we hit was the most promising. Now daylight was fading, and we had done some bushwhacking to get to our destination, so we spend the last bit of daylight figuring out a more accessible path for future access, and hopefully an easier moose extraction.

Got home, massaged the cramps out of my legs, and looking forward to the next time in!
Old 11-09-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
Congrats David and Tea good work to hauling Cow Moose from 936
Awesome! Congrats to the happy hunters!
Old 11-09-2021, 03:32 PM

we pulled a bull moose out of there on saturday.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornram View Post
we pulled a bull moose out of there on saturday.
Congratulations!
Old 11-11-2021, 08:08 PM

Paragraphs!
Old 11-17-2021, 10:19 AM

Old 11-17-2021, 10:26 AM

Great buck! Congrats.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:22 AM

That's a terrific buck! Well done!
Old 11-18-2021, 10:52 AM

Sweeeet buck! Especially for that area. Congrats!! Heck of a set of loins on him!