Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Default Parking ticket

So...I got at parking ticket today.... $150.... for parking in front of the grocery store ( with two other cars ) My wife was still in the car while I quickly ran in ( 5-7 mins max) when I came out ... there was a police car behind the car behind me ( a older gentleman in the drivers seat ) The car in front of me had left....the car behind me leaves and I buckle up and my wife says she came to see if anyone was in our car but didn't actually talk to her....the police car pulls up and lights on and comes to the window and ask for DL / Reg / and Ins. and informs me that I'm in a fire lane. She writes me a ticket and I ask why she didn't give the guy behind me a ticket and she stated that "he was in the drivers seat so I asked him to move I have you on video getting in to the car so you were parked and unable to move"....
I know I'm in the wrong.... for parking in a fire lane....but the letter of the law states that;
“Park”, when prohibited, means allow a vehicle (whether occupied or not) to remain standing in one place, except:
(i) when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading passengers; or
(ii) when standing in obedience to a Peace Officer or a Traffic Control device;
And to pick and choose who she gives a ticket to when its pretty clear that she new my wife was in the vehicle and could have asked her to move just as she did the other guy with out giving a ticket.... really really frosts my backside....
Anyone else have this happen???
Any one ever go to the JOP and get it reduced? or thrown out?

Maybe I'm just jealous that she didn't even give the old guy a ticket for having his dog on his lap!
Old 02-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Would you be happier if he gave tickets to everyone?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Quit parking where you're not supposed to, problem solved Just cause someone was in the passenger seat don't mean jack.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Would you be happier if he gave tickets to everyone?

Yes!!! lol...
and it was a she and she was miserable
Old 02-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post

Yes!!! lol...
and it was a she and she was miserable
Probably because she is sick and tired of people trying to complain their way out of ticket when they clearly in contradiction to the law
Old 02-02-2018, 03:11 PM

going to JP may work, expect a morning of standing in line.

unfortunately it was her decision to give the old dude a ticket or not, and probably did not have as good of a case against him as you (video), and he was still behind the wheel.

"not sure what happened officer, car just started dying so i pulled over here. Well would you look at that, seems to be working fine now. puddles and I will be on our way"

legally, don't think you have any case in my interpretation of what you are charged with.

PS was it the end or close to the end of the month, Perhaps?????
Old 02-02-2018, 03:21 PM

Which grocery store? I am also in SE Calgary...
Old 02-02-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Which grocery store? I am also in SE Calgary...
Superstore on 130th... apparently the cruise that parking lot 1-2x week
Old 02-02-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
going to JP may work, expect a morning of standing in line.

unfortunately it was her decision to give the old dude a ticket or not, and probably did not have as good of a case against him as you (video), and he was still behind the wheel.
I thought those videos were constantly rolling???? ( especially since she got out of the vehicle to talk to the guy )
Old 02-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Quit parking where you're not supposed to, problem solved Just cause someone was in the passenger seat don't mean jack.
Thanks for your great insight.....I'll definitely take that in to consideration next time....
Old 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Superstore on 130th... apparently the cruise that parking lot 1-2x week
Thanks for the heads up. I have parked at the curb while my wife has run in at that same location many times. She's always been the one to run in, but I would say it was a bit heavy handed if your wife was in the car, presumably with the keys, given that the others got a warning. I'd be choked too.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
So...I got at parking ticket today.... $150.... for parking in front of the grocery store ( with two other cars ) My wife was still in the car while I quickly ran in ( 5-7 mins max) when I came out ... there was a police car behind the car behind me ( a older gentleman in the drivers seat ) The car in front of me had left....the car behind me leaves and I buckle up and my wife says she came to see if anyone was in our car but didn't actually talk to her....the police car pulls up and lights on and comes to the window and ask for DL / Reg / and Ins. and informs me that I'm in a fire lane. She writes me a ticket and I ask why she didn't give the guy behind me a ticket and she stated that "he was in the drivers seat so I asked him to move I have you on video getting in to the car so you were parked and unable to move"....
I know I'm in the wrong.... for parking in a fire lane....but the letter of the law states that;
“Park”, when prohibited, means allow a vehicle (whether occupied or not) to remain standing in one place, except:
(i) when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading passengers; or
And to pick and choose who she gives a ticket to when its pretty clear that she new my wife was in the vehicle and could have asked her to move just as she did the other guy with out giving a ticket.... really really frosts my backside....

Maybe I'm just jealous that she didn't even give the old guy a ticket for having his dog on his lap!
A little cardio hurt no one...
Old 02-02-2018, 04:03 PM

should have parked like everyone else and been 6-8 min and still have 150$, just cause everyone else was doing it doesn't make it any better either. I hope the officer was also giving out tickets for people parking in the handicap spots when there not supposed to and to the guys that need to take up more than one stall cause they dont want their "special" cars to get scratched.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Banned

Once the driver places vehicle in park, and gets out.
And does not appear to be doing anything like loading, or helping a passenger with special needs.
Vehicle is parked and if illegally then subject to a ticket.

Next time tell the Mrs. to sit in the drivers seat.

That or park in a stall and go into the store.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:24 PM

I see people parking in fire lanes all the time and I always think they are the entitled crowd who are too lazy to park in the more than abundant parking stalls available. Why do you think it's ok to park there? Park where you are supposed to and problem solved, glad the police are enforcing it!!!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 02-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Guy I work with wife is a Calgary cop. She says that since first of year all of them have to write 25 traffic tickets a month. She is not a traffic cop and is a bit ****ed about it and told me to be very carefully as they are writing tickets for things that most times they wouldn’t.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:

Parking ticket . . .

If I was totally in the wrong (like you), I'd be too embarrassed to even think about starting this thread.

Parking in a Fire Lane ... Good Gawd!

Selkirk
Old 02-02-2018, 04:27 PM

I question what is your special status that grants the privilege to park wherever? It sounds like your improvised spot was closer than the designated handicapped spots, are you somehow lesser-abled than the handicapped people and you need to commute a shorter distance than an 82 year old with a walker?

Sounds like a legit fine to me.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
If I was totally in the wrong (like you), I'd be too embarrassed to even think about starting this thread.

Parking in a Fire Lane ... Good Gawd!

Selkirk
Well said.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Pay the ticket, you deserve it. You are the same jerk that blocks fire lanes in every store parking lot because you are so lazy or self entitled you don't want to walk 30 feet. You create an unwarranted and dangerous obstruction, forcing me into the oncoming traffic to go round you and risking pedestrians to traffic in both directions because they can't see past you well. They put those huge parking lots in for a reason. Grow up!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Pay the ticket, you deserve it. You are the same jerk that blocks fire lanes in every store parking lot because you are so lazy or self entitled you don't want to walk 30 feet. You create an unwarranted and dangerous obstruction, forcing me into the oncoming traffic to go round you and risking pedestrians to traffic in both directions because they can't see past you well. They put those huge parking lots in for a reason. Grow up!
^^^^ This!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:49 PM

I wish the parking folks would come to the Shaughnessy Superstore and hand out tickets to the folks that think they have a special license that allows them to Park in a fire zone.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
X2 I just tired of the self entitled using the fire / access lanes as their personal parking spots. Use the lot and walk a bit.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
Guy I work with wife is a Calgary cop. She says that since first of year all of them have to write 25 traffic tickets a month. She is not a traffic cop and is a bit ****ed about it and told me to be very carefully as they are writing tickets for things that most times they wouldn’t.
So, this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Local Police.jpg (27.2 KB, 147 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-02-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
X2 I just tired of the self entitled using the fire / access lanes as their personal parking spots. Use the lot and walk a bit.
X2

Also, FYI from April 2017

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...affic-offences
Old 02-02-2018, 05:28 PM

I also heard CPS are handing out alot of tickets today for dirty licence plates...

I see this type of stuff at the end of every month....QUOTAS....
Old 02-02-2018, 05:30 PM

I truly am the only one that has ever done this.... I'm probably the only one on this forum that has sped too.....lol....
I probably should have been arrested....
despite admitting to being in the wrong.... thanks for pointing it out....
self entitled absolutely not...have I learned my lesson... absolutely ....and hopefully no one here does anything wrong and hell maybe this post will prevent someone else who does a quick pit stop to think twice about parking in front of a building where you're knowingly not supposed to.....
ANNNNNND yes I left myself open to these comments by posting on here....
you guys are still a great bunch ....ruthless and law abiding .....but great....lol thanks for the roast!!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I truly am the only one that has ever done this.... I'm probably the only one on this forum that has sped too.....lol....
I probably should have been arrested....
despite admitting to being in the wrong.... thanks for pointing it out....
self entitled absolutely not...have I learned my lesson... absolutely ....and hopefully no one here does anything wrong and hell maybe this post will prevent someone else who does a quick pit stop to think twice about parking in front of a building where you're knowingly not supposed to.....
ANNNNNND yes I left myself open to these comments by posting on here....
you guys are still a great bunch ....ruthless and law abiding .....but great....lol thanks for the roast!!
Sounds like you're taking the 'tough love' well. Honestly, I'd just pay the ticket, learn and move on.

I do the same when I get a photo radar every few years. They sneak new intersections in every once in a while....
Old 02-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Banned

Your highly unreasonable expectation about what you are entitled to deserves a $150 fine. You were in the wrong, pay the ticket. Have a nice day.

PS: I have never parked illegally ever so I can say this. I'm perfect after-all...
Old 02-02-2018, 05:43 PM

For some reason this feels appropriate to just leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSuLFvalhnQ