Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2024, 03:07 PM
Zuludog's Avatar
Zuludog Zuludog is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 3,391
Default Considering a Bowtech ss34

Hi.
Getting back into archery and am looking for a new or.new to me bow.
One of the ones on my short list is the Bowtech SS34. I am looking for anyone here that has one to please share their thoughts on it.

Have you had any issues with the serving on the strings or cables? Any other thoughts.

Thanks
__________________
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2024, 01:51 PM
KrisRD KrisRD is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 46
Default

I've owned PSE, hoyt and bowtech. Currently shooting bowtech. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these brands and their flagship bows.

Currently shooting a realm X. Replaced strings after 3 years and quite a lot of shooting. The factory strings held up well, no issues with serving unravelling. I've shot the SS34 at jim bows and thought it felt similar to mine, maybe a touch smoother. I don't think you can go wrong with the SS34.

If you are looking at going the used route, you can probably find a realm X, realm SS, or revolt for very good value.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2024, 11:42 AM
Maxwell87 Maxwell87 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 90
Default

i have a SS34 and love it, also have a revolt XL. so far so good with the strings/cables but i went aftermarket right away. maybe put a few hundred shots with the factory stuff waiting for new ones to come in. i do like the taller riser i feel this bow is super stable when shooting. have only had it for the winter no hunting yet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2024, 08:58 PM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 4,109
Default

Only complaints I have read about the SS34 is serving separation on the strings/cables. Some say it is a string/cable issue, where others believe it is a cam design issue due to the fact that custom strings/cables didn't fix the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2024, 04:58 PM
Zuludog's Avatar
Zuludog Zuludog is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 3,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Only complaints I have read about the SS34 is serving separation on the strings/cables. Some say it is a string/cable issue, where others believe it is a cam design issue due to the fact that custom strings/cables didn't fix the issue.
That's what I am worried about. I don't want to spend $1500 for a bow and have to worry about ithe cams. Buying new strings for a new bow is expensive enough but cam problems on a flagship bow is giving me concern.
__________________
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2024, 06:37 PM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 4,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
That's what I am worried about. I don't want to spend $1500 for a bow and have to worry about ithe cams. Buying new strings for a new bow is expensive enough but cam problems on a flagship bow is giving me concern.
If you like the draw cycle of the SS34, you should try the Darton Sequel 33. I believe the new archery shop in Red Deer has a couple in stock
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2024, 11:11 PM
Zuludog's Avatar
Zuludog Zuludog is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 3,391
Default

Would you say that it is equal or better?
How does it hold on target? Right now I am debating between the SS34 and the Prime rvx.
__________________
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2024, 05:22 AM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 4,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Would you say that it is equal or better?
How does it hold on target? Right now I am debating between the SS34 and the Prime rvx.
The hold on target is as good or better than Matthews, which I believe might be the best on the market for a hunting bow. I just can't like the Matthews draw for some reason.

The draw of the Sequel is very similar to the SS34 in comfort mode. Does not stack or dump hard into the valley. Just very smooth from start to finish. I haven't chrono'ed it yet, but every report and test online has it meeting or exceeding the 335 IBO; so it is a little faster than the SS34 in comfort mode. The machining and finish on the Sequel is top notch and the lower stabilizer mount with stubby (like hoyt) is a nice option. I am actually running hoyt go sticks with the Sequel and they work perfectly.

The biggest differences is that the SS34 has the dead lock system and the Sequel still uses shims for tuning. The dead lock is definitely an easier and nicer system to work with. But I wouldn't rule out the RVX either. I have shot the Revex and they are an awesome bow. If you want to try an RVX, you should head to Lawrence's new shop in Spruce Grove.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2024, 10:22 PM
Zuludog's Avatar
Zuludog Zuludog is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 3,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The hold on target is as good or better than Matthews, which I believe might be the best on the market for a hunting bow. I just can't like the Matthews draw for some reason.

The draw of the Sequel is very similar to the SS34 in comfort mode. Does not stack or dump hard into the valley. Just very smooth from start to finish. I haven't chrono'ed it yet, but every report and test online has it meeting or exceeding the 335 IBO; so it is a little faster than the SS34 in comfort mode. The machining and finish on the Sequel is top notch and the lower stabilizer mount with stubby (like hoyt) is a nice option. I am actually running hoyt go sticks with the Sequel and they work perfectly.

The biggest differences is that the SS34 has the dead lock system and the Sequel still uses shims for tuning. The dead lock is definitely an easier and nicer system to work with. But I wouldn't rule out the RVX either. I have shot the Revex and they are an awesome bow. If you want to try an RVX, you should head to Lawrence's new shop in Spruce Grove.
This is what got me into this "mess" in the first place. Lawrence let me try one of his new RVXs and I got the archery bug again and am looking to get back into archery and bow hunting. I might just grab an RVX as I really like them.
__________________
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2024, 09:56 AM
KyleSS's Avatar
KyleSS KyleSS is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Okotoks
Posts: 776
Default

The Bowtech SS34 is the best bow theyíve ever made in my opinion. It holds rock solid, is super smooth to draw and has little to no vibration. The dead lock cams enable to you paper tune and broadhead tune the bow with a set of Allen Keys. I had serving separation with my stock strings and then put on a set of Fire Wire strings (Canadian made). I shot this bow for hunting last September and October. After that it turned into my 3D bow for winter and will continue as my 3D bow this summer. I have probably 4000+ shots on my fire wire strings and have absolutely 0 serving separations. I donít know what Joel does to his strings but they are amazing. The SS34 is a do it all now. I got 2nd at indoor 3D nationals Hunter class with it and then killed a couple elk in the fall with it. I was getting 283 FPS with 71 lbs, 30Ē draw, 448 grain arrow in comfort mode.

My hope is they come out with a Gen 2 of this bow that has grip lock, time lock and centre mass technologies.

I will say it again, by far my favourite Bowtech bow ever and Iíve had the Realm, Revolt, Revolt XL, SR350 and Core SR
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-10-2024, 03:49 PM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 4,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
This is what got me into this "mess" in the first place. Lawrence let me try one of his new RVXs and I got the archery bug again and am looking to get back into archery and bow hunting. I might just grab an RVX as I really like them.
Haha... Lawrence can have that effect on people.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2024, 08:35 AM
501s's Avatar
501s 501s is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sylvan Lake
Posts: 230
Default

This is a great review. I have been looking at a new Bow and this was on the list. I debated between this and the Lift. I currently have a Realm. Its been amazing. No complaints at all, other then I iwsh it was a 70lb bow instead of 60. Did you find there was much difference? It seems almost every feature on this bow is also on the Realm (Clutch Grip, Flip Disk, Flex Cable Guard, etc...) other then the dead lock cams. Any other feedback on this bow?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
The Bowtech SS34 is the best bow theyíve ever made in my opinion. It holds rock solid, is super smooth to draw and has little to no vibration. The dead lock cams enable to you paper tune and broadhead tune the bow with a set of Allen Keys. I had serving separation with my stock strings and then put on a set of Fire Wire strings (Canadian made). I shot this bow for hunting last September and October. After that it turned into my 3D bow for winter and will continue as my 3D bow this summer. I have probably 4000+ shots on my fire wire strings and have absolutely 0 serving separations. I donít know what Joel does to his strings but they are amazing. The SS34 is a do it all now. I got 2nd at indoor 3D nationals Hunter class with it and then killed a couple elk in the fall with it. I was getting 283 FPS with 71 lbs, 30Ē draw, 448 grain arrow in comfort mode.

My hope is they come out with a Gen 2 of this bow that has grip lock, time lock and centre mass technologies.

I will say it again, by far my favourite Bowtech bow ever and Iíve had the Realm, Revolt, Revolt XL, SR350 and Core SR
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-29-2024, 09:03 PM
KyleSS's Avatar
KyleSS KyleSS is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Okotoks
Posts: 776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
This is a great review. I have been looking at a new Bow and this was on the list. I debated between this and the Lift. I currently have a Realm. Its been amazing. No complaints at all, other then I iwsh it was a 70lb bow instead of 60. Did you find there was much difference? It seems almost every feature on this bow is also on the Realm (Clutch Grip, Flip Disk, Flex Cable Guard, etc...) other then the dead lock cams. Any other feedback on this bow?

Thanks.
The big difference is the axle to axle between those two bows. If I remember correctly, the REAM is a 30Ē ATA bow while the SS34 is 34Ē ATA. That 4Ē creates a much more stable and forgiving bow.

Also, that dead lock can system is absolutely unreal. Donít over look that. Being able to tune a bow with out a bow press is a huge advantage.


Out of all the Bowtech bows Iíve owned, Iíd say the SS34 is my favorite while the Core SR is a close second. The Core SR has a few more features that I enjoy, it faster and a little more compact. The Core SR is now my main hunting bow and my fixed pin 3D bow while my SS34 is my hunter class 3D bow. Hunter class allows a slider single pin thatís not magnified.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Pekan Pekan is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 816
Default

MFJJ has a review on youtube that's very detailed. After watching it I definitely would consider this bow. Especially if you're the kind of guy who wants to fine tune things without going to a bow shop for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMjwZo_CrSo

I bought a Reign back in 2018 which has been just great and would definitely get another Bowtech.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-09-2024, 12:47 AM
Zuludog's Avatar
Zuludog Zuludog is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 3,391
Default

Decided on the SS34, now I have to wait for it to show up 😀
__________________
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.