Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-02-2024, 01:35 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 15,041
Default

SB

The two days I got out shooting it just after I got it in late Feb, the weather was absolutely beautiful. Very enjoyable to spend a few hours at the bench testing ammo. Not so nice up here the last week or so. I am going to wait till it gets back above zero and the winds are less obnoxious, but I will post the outcome after the next day out shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-02-2024, 02:57 PM
Savage Bacon's Avatar
Savage Bacon Savage Bacon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Calgary-Red Deer area
Posts: 3,246
Default

Yep I'm dealing with the same problem. I've been itching to get out and shoot some test loads in the 444. Kind of depressing actually.

So, somewhat on topic, are there rifles that you wouldn't want to alter by bedding? In .22 I have a newer, and older CZ rifle. Both decently accurate. I'm sure they'll get handed down to the kids. The scout was actually purchased for my daughter. I would like to get a little more out of them tho.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm not really a licensed bodyman or heavy duty mechanic. I just play one at work.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-02-2024, 03:15 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 15,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Yep I'm dealing with the same problem. I've been itching to get out and shoot some test loads in the 444. Kind of depressing actually.

So, somewhat on topic, are there rifles that you wouldn't want to alter by bedding? In .22 I have a newer, and older CZ rifle. Both decently accurate. I'm sure they'll get handed down to the kids. The scout was actually purchased for my daughter. I would like to get a little more out of them tho.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
The cz 452s I have and have had, really benefited from being bedded. They have a unique dovetailed round recoil lug. You have to be very careful to pastecine them correctly so you don't end up with a mechanically locked action. Bedding them with the barrel centered properly using a tape wrap, helps a bunch as many czs have an issue with the barrel being tight on one side, usually the right side. Sometimes enough to affect the groups from barrel rub. The cz is one that also benefits from doing the rear tang every time.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-02-2024, 07:07 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 15,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
We received some today- not sure what will be left after going through the waiting list




If buying by the 1375 ct bucket, they are 477.00 per 500
Is 477 per 500 accurate or did you mean 47 per 500. If the 477 is right you aren't going to run out of stock any time soon. Even Eley Tennex is only 280 for 500.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-02-2024, 07:30 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 15,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
We received some today- not sure what will be left after going through the waiting list




If buying by the 1375 ct bucket, they are 477.00 per 500
Is 477 per 500 accurate or did you mean 47 per 500. If the 477 is right you aren't going to run out of stock any time soon. Even Eley Tennex is only 280 for 500.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-03-2024, 09:32 AM
Savage Bacon's Avatar
Savage Bacon Savage Bacon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Calgary-Red Deer area
Posts: 3,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The cz 452s I have and have had, really benefited from being bedded. They have a unique dovetailed round recoil lug. You have to be very careful to pastecine them correctly so you don't end up with a mechanically locked action. Bedding them with the barrel centered properly using a tape wrap, helps a bunch as many czs have an issue with the barrel being tight on one side, usually the right side. Sometimes enough to affect the groups from barrel rub. The cz is one that also benefits from doing the rear tang every time.
Great to hear. I'll be looking into it.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm not really a licensed bodyman or heavy duty mechanic. I just play one at work.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-03-2024, 11:33 AM
JD848 JD848 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most people have no idea how accurate their .22lr is, because they have never used even a lower end target ammunition like SK Standard Plus. A cheap .22 rifle with decent target loads, will often out shoot a high end .22 rifle with cheap bulk ammunition. And many people are shocked to have someone with a high end .22lr, and decent target loads out shoot their centerfire at 100m.
X2 .100m percent correct, this I seen for myself .
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-14-2024, 03:49 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 15,041
Default

Bedding definitely improved the groups. Considering the wind was gusting 10-35 Klms/hr, it is shooting some fairly respectable groups. (All are 5 shot groups.) I did not try to hold for the wind but did try to not shoot when it was at full gust. Was only partially successful as you can see on the targets. It also got even blusterier as the day wore on.

Two other things to notice, the difference in ammo, plus how the groups opened then tightened when I switched from one ammo to the other, you can tell switch overs by the group number..



Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-14-2024, 04:13 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 45,069
Default

The wind was a factor, but it likes the SK+.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-14-2024, 05:39 PM
Dean2's Avatar
Dean2 Dean2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Edmonton
Posts: 15,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The wind was a factor, but it likes the SK+.
True. Surprisingly it also like the Federal auto match and that stuff was not great in a couple of other rifles. It did however do best with theSK. It got too windy or I would have tried some Tennex and Eley match I had with me.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-14-2024, 05:59 PM
Twisted Canuck's Avatar
Twisted Canuck Twisted Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: GP AB
Posts: 16,220
Default

I'd say it's ready for gophers.

And it does group the SK+ wicked good.
__________________
'Once the monkeys learn they can vote themselves a banana, they'll never climb another tree.'. Robert Heinlein

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.