Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Default CWD Tag Replacements

Just curious if anyone has gone through the process of getting their CWD tags replaced. Haven't received any information regarding the process of how they make this licence available for this years season.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Disregard I tracked down the link and found the answers
Old 08-10-2018, 01:10 PM

Do the tags not just show up automatically this fall as available to us again?

That was my understanding, and now I’m just wanting to confirm that I’m not overlooking something to get my antlered mulie again?

BG
Old 08-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Do the tags not just show up automatically this fall as available to us again?

That was my understanding, and now I’m just wanting to confirm that I’m not overlooking something to get my antlered mulie again?

BG
Did you have to turn in everything from last years deer?

LC
Old 08-10-2018, 01:24 PM

I believe an email should be sent regarding the replacement tags.

Byron could you post the link for others who are interested?
Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
You had to destroy the meat and inform the head biologist in order to be eligible for the replacement tag I believe.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
You had to destroy the meat and inform the head biologist in order to be eligible for the replacement tag I believe.
I have heard some guys get to keep antlers and some turn them in if they get a new tag.

LC
Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Skelly??

I spoke to Marlow and she said take it to the landfill, as I told her we wouldn’t chance eating the meat since we have kids. I’d eat it, but if one day Cwd made its leap to humans and I was the deciding factor of my kids consumed it- that would be tough to live with. Anyways, we took the meat to the Edmonton landfill.

I removed the required tissues including bottom jaw and sent them in, I kept my skull and antlers.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:59 PM

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...t-Fall2015.pdf

Hope this link works but here is the info I am going off of although its dated 2015. Appears that an email from albertarelm will get sent out with the information about the replacement tag. I'm assuming at that point you will be able to assign a tag number to the licence and proceed as if it was a normal draw tag.

When I talked to the biologist regarding my deer she asked me if I intended to consume the meat and since my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time, We decided it was ultimately not worth the risk to take the chance to eat the meat even though most people don't feel CWD affects humans. Couldn't live with that decision if it affected my new daughter. I asked the biologist what steps I needed to take and was told to dispose of the meat which we did.

I was not required to submit anymore of the deer other then the skull for sampling, I did not have to forfeit the antlers.

Last edited by Byron; 08-10-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:33 PM

So is it my understanding that they will just send the tags out let us know eventually?

I was told in February that my mule buck had CWD. i didnt want to take the chance with my family eating so i opted to take it to the land fill. the woman on the phone told me that i will have a tag for the 2018 season and to 999 my draw and not purchase any tags that might interfere or contradict it.

As of right now i have received no info. Called alberta relm and the directed my to fish and game. Called fish and game and the said they don't deal with it and gave me the number to a biologist that is supposedly in charge of it. Called all week and left two messages but nothing yet.

Any ideas what to do now? Am i just being impatient? Has anyone delt with this in past years? The info sheet only said so much and i can't find any other information on this.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:20 PM

This doesn't answer the OP's question. I apologize in advance for that. While we are on CWD topic, The Joe Rogan Experience podcast episode #1154 is an excellent listen. He has some biologists and deer farming experts on there discussing CWD, the impact, the science of the disease, and some solutions that other countries have implemented with success. So far the best information out there that I've heard or read IMO. Lots of knowledge with science based opinions. Not just blowing smoke up peoples arses. Give it a listen guys.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallen Baugh View Post
This doesn't answer the OP's question. I apologize in advance for that. While we are on CWD topic, The Joe Rogan Experience podcast episode #1154 is an excellent listen. He has some biologists and deer farming experts on there discussing CWD, the impact, the science of the disease, and some solutions that other countries have implemented with success. So far the best information out there that I've heard or read IMO. Lots of knowledge with science based opinions. Not just blowing smoke up peoples arses. Give it a listen guys.
x2
With the reach JRE has this might be the best distribution of CWD info ever.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleDeerChaser View Post
So is it my understanding that they will just send the tags out let us know eventually?

I was told in February that my mule buck had CWD. i didnt want to take the chance with my family eating so i opted to take it to the land fill. the woman on the phone told me that i will have a tag for the 2018 season and to 999 my draw and not purchase any tags that might interfere or contradict it.

As of right now i have received no info. Called alberta relm and the directed my to fish and game. Called fish and game and the said they don't deal with it and gave me the number to a biologist that is supposedly in charge of it. Called all week and left two messages but nothing yet.

Any ideas what to do now? Am i just being impatient? Has anyone delt with this in past years? The info sheet only said so much and i can't find any other information on this.
She is out of the office until Tuesday I believe. I had an email conversation with her and was told that Alberta Relm will send a notice when the tags are available.
Like those above I submitted all required tissues, disposed of my meat, kept the antlers, and 999 my tag for this year.