Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
got both my QAD HDX and my anchor sight installed today. So far so good. made some adjustments and tuned up the anchor sight (bit of a pain at first but then I got it) and Im already shooting better than i was, Mind you only at 10 yards, I'll go out to SPFGA on monday morning to fiddle around some more and do some 3D.

I like the drop away more than the stock "brush" rest that came with the Carbon Icon.
Hi can you please explain what you like more about the new rest? What do you think it does better? How are your groups maybe after a few times to dial it in? Any draw backs?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:55 PM

So far I've only shot a few rounds at 10 yards at Jim Bows after they set up the rest and the anchor site and a few more times when i got home.

I found the stock rest that came with my bow allowed the arrow it potentially "bounce around" or "catch a fletch" when shooting. There were a few times shooting my original rest where I could hear a fletch catch, didn't happen often, maybe 2 or 3 times but so far haven't had any problems with the QAD.

I made some adjustments when I got back to my house and definitely shooting tighter groups. I'll be going out on monday morning to SPFGA to shoot some more at long range so I should get an even better idea.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
So far I've only shot a few rounds at 10 yards at Jim Bows after they set up the rest and the anchor site and a few more times when i got home.

I found the stock rest that came with my bow allowed the arrow it potentially "bounce around" or "catch a fletch" when shooting. There were a few times shooting my original rest where I could hear a fletch catch, didn't happen often, maybe 2 or 3 times but so far haven't had any problems with the QAD.

I made some adjustments when I got back to my house and definitely shooting tighter groups. I'll be going out on monday morning to SPFGA to shoot some more at long range so I should get an even better idea.
anchorsight tip, draw your bow cold first time, eyes closed, several times a day and the idea is to have that anchorsight adjusted to when you open your eyes it's bang on....set to your natural anchor position

then you start moving pins and dialing in...

if your string starts to stretch you'll know as it's no longer lining up properly, or you'll know something else may be wrong too but it will show you that

when you see how the anchorsight and your pins match each other in terms of visibility into the last minutes of legal light you'll be very impressed and glad you've given this a try

yes you'll shoot tighter groups, lots notice that right away, but in time and use your speed to shot sequence will be faster also (again, a benefit to hunting), combined with that low light advantage also....the anchor sight is an awesome tool for hunting!

you're as good as your practice with your equipment. two equal hunters with peep vs anchorsight and equal proficiency, the anchor sight user will be faster to shot sequence and also do it right until end of legal light like light almost isn't an issue anymore
Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Make 2 moves maybe, from the biscuit to a semi bristle, I went to a Quick Tune 360.
Get used to that for a bit them move to a full drop away.
Im halfway to this transition, still have the QT 360 on my bow.
I may switch to a full drop away in time, but Im happy with this so far.

TBark
Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Certain things in hunting are a given imo. Like you can choose to drive a silverado, f-150, tundra, titan or a RAM...no brainer right? The Ram should be the obvious choice for any Alberta Hunter.

When a product is so well named it's really hard to ignore. Like whisker biscuit for example...let that roll off your tongue a few times. Mmmm...see?

Maybe the best named product in all of hunting. Not only that but it's actually the best hunting rest available, has been since it came out, and not sure it can be beat.

Drop aways are all crap. I've got some high dollar rests, custom hamskea and the like sitting in a box. Want one? Utter crap.

He drives a Dodge (rust buckets) and recommends whisker biscuit
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
He drives a Dodge (rust buckets) and recommends whisker biscuit
haha, one must say what he drives if he is going to slag something as awesome as the ram
Old 07-14-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
haha, one must say what he drives if he is going to slag something as awesome as the ram
Jeep, Ford, Nissan,Subaru

Just drive down the street and watch the bumpers on Rams that are more then a few years old..pretty much tells the tale.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Banned

jeep, love jk's and the new jl would be on my shortlist if shopping today, i need a box though, wish i didn't

jk's have highest resale value in canada, over all vehicles!

huge subaru fan too, very high resale also, just need a box but often recommend them to peeps

nissan...not impressed with a couple friends have had, the v8's were piggies, new and first couple years yes but issues started popping up, both wouldn't buy again, they seem to be turning into the bargain japanese vehicles

ford? really...maybe a new alum body one, do any get decent mileage? ride like a truck still too though, i rented one before i bought the ram, felt like a body on frame pogo stick handling, old school v6 without enough gears was terrible too, i'm sure that config would have been reliable enough, just no love to live with

if they can pair a modern v6 with at least 8 gears and figure out how to ride and handle like the coil spring ram's then they are talking but as is they run twin turbo 6's that are gas pigs, and overly complex imo, maybe they've got a modern v6 non-turbo with that 10 speed now? still can't match the ride/handling though and do they offer a 121 liter or better tank option? for us half ton guys that don't need to tow a house but put the miles on...tough to beat the penastar 8 spd and 121 liter fuel tank, but goes much deeper, the engine is a star in it's own right, so is the tranny, so is the programming of them together...then the ride and handling, seat comfort, most like to travel cross country with the ram wins hands down

mine is a 2014, easily the best pick in the segement for that year range, i had a 13 chev couldn't wait to get rid of, rented the ford, had a tundra before the chev, good truck but too much for half ton needs, hauled azz sucked gas and rode stiff, comfortable seats and reliable, great tranny/motor programming (chev needs to wake the eff up on this!)

anyway, 95% of vehicles are bought on looks alone, and in that regard the dodge ram has that white oakleys tap out shirt sort of look....so i get the resistance to it, do the homework though and take the looks out of the equation and you have the finest of the half tons

today i'd be looking aweful hard at the new ridgeline also but i still think my ram would beat it in a couple key areas and force the decision but in so many other areas the honda would whoop my truck...that would be a tough call but a far closer comparison than the ram against the other half tons imo

when the new jeep jl truck comes out that could be one to watch, look out tacoma's, that'll be the mid size to have, resale and otherwise

as it is i beat tacoma 4.0l's in gas mileage and i have a 6 passenger full size half ton with a 7200 lb tow capacity and 121 liter fuel tank that is faster then my gm 5.3 v8/6 speed was, the taco will hold higher resale likely but would not want to live with one day to day comfort not in the same league...boom
Old 07-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Certain things in hunting are a given imo. Like you can choose to drive a silverado, f-150, tundra, titan or a RAM...no brainer right? The Ram should be the obvious choice for any Alberta Hunter.

When a product is so well named it's really hard to ignore. Like whisker biscuit for example...let that roll off your tongue a few times. Mmmm...see?

Maybe the best named product in all of hunting. Not only that but it's actually the best hunting rest available, has been since it came out, and not sure it can be beat.

Drop aways are all crap. I've got some high dollar rests, custom hamskea and the like sitting in a box. Want one? Utter crap.

If youre looking to give em away, Ill take em all!!! As long as theyre right handed.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
If youre looking to give em away, Ill take em all!!! As long as theyre right handed.
for me it's about digging them out, trying to find time to arrange a meet etc. but often save the gear to rig up or help out a newbie i run into along the way...i'll keep this post in mind for when i do some more house cleaning
Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 AM

I loved using a whisker biscuit, until I switched to the hamskea. Would never go back. I much prefer the hamskea over the qad but you cant go wrong with either.
I would avoid ripcord like the plague.
I was on a 3D trail with two other fellows. One guy had a ripcord. We were about 3 or 4 targets into the trail and accuracy of guy with ripcord was going all to chit. The other guy used to shoot very competitively out east and has some reputable bowhunting experience too. He was telling us about how he was shooting for ripcord at one time because he couldnt help but notice the ripcord being used. Rest blew up on the shot at a moose. One or two other guys (cant recall exactly) out of the four of them in hunting camp also had a ripcord malfunction on the same hunt.
He called ripcord up and the company was fully aware of their design issues and didnt care to do anything about it at the time. Not sure if that has changed. A few targets later on the 3D trail after hearing this story, the internals of the ripcord being used literally broke beyond repair. We laughed at the irony, and that guy didnt seem to care as he had already been convinced to replace it and was already seeing consistency issues during that outing.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I loved using a whisker biscuit, until I switched to the hamskea. Would never go back. I much prefer the hamskea over the qad but you cant go wrong with either.
I would avoid ripcord like the plague.
I was on a 3D trail with two other fellows. One guy had a ripcord. We were about 3 or 4 targets into the trail and accuracy of guy with ripcord was going all to chit. The other guy used to shoot very competitively out east and has some reputable bowhunting experience too. He was telling us about how he was shooting for ripcord at one time because he couldnt help but notice the ripcord being used. Rest blew up on the shot at a moose. One or two other guys (cant recall exactly) out of the four of them in hunting camp also had a ripcord malfunction on the same hunt.
He called ripcord up and the company was fully aware of their design issues and didnt care to do anything about it at the time. Not sure if that has changed. A few targets later on the 3D trail after hearing this story, the internals of the ripcord being used literally broke beyond repair. We laughed at the irony, and that guy didnt seem to care as he had already been convinced to replace it and was already seeing consistency issues during that outing.
Do you recall what model of ripcord you and the other fellows used? I like ripcord as I find it a lot quieter then the other options you mentioned but now I am worried it'll "blow up."
Old 08-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Banned

I had the rip cord code red and had it fail on me multiple times shooting qad hdx and wont ever go to another rest
Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I had the rip cord code red and had it fail on me multiple times shooting qad hdx and wont ever go to another rest
Agree 10000%, a Rip Cord Code Red cost me a 200" mule deer.
I went in and bought a QAD HDX that day and told the shop to throw the Code Red in the garbage. I wasn't going to try for warranty because I didn't want another. They said to get it warrantied and then sell it; I said that no way would I ever pass this POS on to anyone; I don't want to be responsible for them having a fail in the field.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
Do you recall what model of ripcord you and the other fellows used? I like ripcord as I find it a lot quieter then the other options you mentioned but now I am worried it'll "blow up."

I dont recall. It was before the ace but after hearing the story of one guys experience plus that of his friends WHILE at the same time watching it happen to the other guy we were with on the 3D trail, I have no interest in trying one so long as QAD and hamskea are available.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Agree 10000%, a Rip Cord Code Red cost me a 200" mule deer.
I went in and bought a QAD HDX that day and told the shop to throw the Code Red in the garbage. I wasn't going to try for warranty because I didn't want another. They said to get it warrantied and then sell it; I said that no way would I ever pass this POS on to anyone; I don't want to be responsible for them having a fail in the field.
A drop away rest cost you a trophy of a lifetime. Hed be on the wall if you shot a biscuit. But you chose another mechanical failure waiting to happen. At least thats how I read it.😉✌️
Old 08-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
A drop away rest cost you a trophy of a lifetime. Hed be on the wall if you shot a biscuit. But you chose another mechanical failure waiting to happen. At least thats how I read it.😉✌️
And the reason I dont shoot the ugly cookie is because in -20 the bristles get stiff and any frost or ice on your arrow, every animal with in 200 yards will hear you. That one cost me a big moose. QAD hasn't cost me anything yet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Banned

Better stick to rifles😉
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Better stick to rifles😉
Never killed a big game animal in my life with a rifle, 100% archery. Like I said, my QAD has done very well for me, running out of room on the walls.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

I have yet to see a biscuit cause a lossed opp. I wont discount your experience but Ive done a ton of November bow stuff, treestands and freeze azz off but never an experience like you described. I have tried many drops, got luck on a double draw on my best whitetail, first draw came up beside the shakey hunter arm and screech, had to let down and draw again, ground blind saved the day on that one. Also never seen a biscuit failure of any kind on shows but have witnessed about three shows now where a drop away let a guy down. Couple on the arrow pick up and one something straight broke on late season sask blind hunt with Jason peterson of all peeps, R.I.P., but in at least two of those situations a much smaller buck was taken near end of season than the one the rests failed on. One was a muley they worked a couple weeks to finally get a shot on. Arrow never made it in frame. If you shoot five inch groups at 60 with a drop or 6 with biscuit Id stay biscuit every time. Morning re reliable in 99.9 percent of time