Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Interbonds and SST's

So recently I learned the difference about the two leads on a earlier thread that I started, and in it I asked if there was normaly a cannalure on the Interbonds because I had bought two boxes (for reloading) and both of them had it. In my curiosity I thought maybe hornady had made a mistake and put SST's in the wrong Boxes so I took a interbond and SST and cut both of them in half to see if they had the interlock feature. What i found was that neither of them did so know i'm confused on what kind of leads i have. Can anyone tell if I'm screwed up or is Hornady
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 PM

Pics?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 AM

pretty sure interbonds the core is bonded to the jacket so you would'nt see the interlock. Put it this way. Interbond would be a chemical bonding while Interlock would be mechanical bonding? I think I got that right..
Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
pretty sure interbonds the core is bonded to the jacket so you would'nt see the interlock. Put it this way. Interbond would be a chemical bonding while Interlock would be mechanical bonding? I think I got that right..
I'm pretty sure thats right, I think the only bonded bullet that is also mechanicaly locked is the Remington Corelokt Ultra Bond. Its been a long time since I used the SST's so I cant remember if they were mechanicly locked like the inderlock or not. If somebody can give a definate answere on that then chances are the OP has Interbonds.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Banned

ive never seen an interbond that wasnt smooth. might have to contact hornady on that one. given the price difference, and the performance difference i would be asking for sure.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 AM

I'll try and get some pictures up this weakend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I knew that the interbonds didn't have the interlock but I thought maybe they were SST's so I cut a SST's aswell to compare to the so called interbonds but the SST didn't have interlock as said on the box. So I have SST's with no interlock and interbonds with the cannalure
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM

SST don't have an interlock either. Hornady makes a line called Interlocks. They have the interlock.
None of my substantial collection of Interbonds have a cannelure.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Here is a good thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51527

FWIW, the 150gr SST I sectioned, had a interlock groove, and the box is labeled as such.

That is the second one from the left I melted the core out of. You can just make out the interlock about half way between the cannelure and the start of the boattail.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM

I'll have to check some of my factory Hornady ammo; I have some in both SST and Interbond as well as component bullets. I had noticed the cannelure as a distinct difference between the two component bullets, but that both versions of my factory loaded cartridges had the cannelure? I triple checked to make sure I hadn't mixed anything up, even opening some boxes I'd not yet opened as a cross-reference. I called Hornady to see if I had bought SST's mislabelled as Interbonds in the loaded ammo and was told the factory IB loads were also cannelured.

It's the only time I ever called an ammo manufacturer so I'm fairly clear about it, despite being about 4 years ago.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'll have to check some of my factory Hornady ammo; I have some in both SST and Interbond as well as component bullets. I had noticed the cannelure as a distinct difference between the two component bullets, but that both versions of my factory loaded cartridges had the cannelure? I triple checked to make sure I hadn't mixed anything up, even opening some boxes I'd not yet opened as a cross-reference. I called Hornady to see if I had bought SST's mislabelled as Interbonds in the loaded ammo and was told the factory IB loads were also cannelured.

It's the only time I ever called an ammo manufacturer so I'm fairly clear about it, despite being about 4 years ago.

Ah...... I see your talking factory loaded ammo.

Most of the information was pertaining to reloading bullets.
Reloading component Interbonds do not have cannelures.

Even Federal in their use of brand name bullets(Sierra) has those bullets specially manufactured with cannelures where the reloading bullets are without.

Go figure.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Exactly Dick, having both component projectiles and factory-loaded the obvious difference where the factory-loaded had cannelures on both the IB's and SST's kind of perplexed me, so I called to verify that there wasn't an error in either loading or labeling.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Exactly Dick, having both component projectiles and factory-loaded the obvious difference where the factory-loaded had cannelures on both kind of perplexed me, so I called to verify that there wasn't an error in either loading or labeling.
Yup, for some odd reason they want cannelures on every bullet if factory loaded...makes zero sense, unless it's a SAAMI or legislative requirement.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
SST don't have an interlock either. Hornady makes a line called Interlocks. They have the interlock.
None of my substantial collection of Interbonds have a cannelure.
From Hornady's site:

SST®

Features:
Premium Polymer Tip
The sharp point of the SST increases its ballistic coefficient, making it faster and flatter shooting. On impact, the tip also initiates controlled expansion at all velocities.

Secant Ogive, Boattail Spire Point Profile
It’s a simple fact: bullets that travel faster hit harder. The Hornady secant ogive, boattail spire point profile gives hunters the incredible speed and downrange energy they’re looking for.

The InterLock™ Ring
Ensures the core and jacket remain locked solid during expansion, so the SST retains the mass and energy needed for dramatic wound channels. Perfected in the famous Hornady InterLock hunting bullet.

FWIW The interlock ring is almost impossible to see on a sectioned bullet, but it is visible on recovered bullets from animals (at least for me).
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM

I had the same issue. I purchased some interbonds from wss and, low and behold, they had a cannelure. I contacted Hornady and checked with them and they confirmed, according to my lot number, that the bullets were indeed a special request interbond bullet with a cannelure. I returned them and purchased more some more Nosler accubonds as there were no interbonds available at the store without a cannelure. I was not impressed and feel as though it is partially false advertising on Hornady's side. When I expect a non-cannelured bullet, I should not have to be surprised when I open the box.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
I had the same issue. I purchased some interbonds from wss and, low and behold, they had a cannelure. I contacted Hornady and checked with them and they confirmed, according to my lot number, that the bullets were indeed a special request interbond bullet with a cannelure. I returned them and purchased more some more Nosler accubonds as there were no interbonds available at the store without a cannelure. I was not impressed and feel as though it is partially false advertising on Hornady's side. When I expect a non-cannelured bullet, I should not have to be surprised when I open the box.
Now I'm going to have to check the two boxes of interbonds that I bought before Christmas to see if they have the cannelure.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 AM

I can see no cannelure being an issue if you want to crimp a round, but for the life of me I can't see why having a cannalure on a hunting bullet is any kid of a drawback. Am I missing some thing or is it just that then it becomes hard to tell Interlocks from Interbonds?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM

The increased drag from that cannelure reduces the ballistic coefficient of the bullet by at least 50%, and it weakens the structure of a bonded bullet to the point it will fragment like a varmint grenade on the smallest of animals!!!

J/K
Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
The increased drag from that cannelure reduces the ballistic coefficient of the bullet by at least 50%, and it weakens the structure of a bonded bullet to the point it will fragment like a varmint grenade on the smallest of animals!!!

J/K
X2....PM me and I will give you the address to send all your Hornady bullets to in order for them to be properly disposed of

LC