Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Anyone here in Goat or lamb business?

I was at the farm today and saw goats and lambs and some cows there. I spend some time there and felt very peaceful at that place. May be I really like these animals. Just curious if anyone here is in this business or know anyone doing this business?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 07:02 AM

We have a flock of 60 or so ewes that we lamb out in March. The night time checks start in about a week. I have to say, there is something about the quietness and peacefulness of a barnyard in the middle of a warm night that I love. One night last March we had 15 lambs born under the most brilliant Northern Lights I have ever seen. I came into the house at dawn almost sorry it was over. I like raising sheep, just like small cows but way easier to handle.

-Craig
Old 03-02-2016, 08:30 AM

We tried sheep on an acreage and found them to be too stupid, needed shearing and not great mothers. We switched to milk goats and found them to be quite ideal for an acreage. They usually have twins easily, milk and cheese are good for humans, the kids are great pets, the meat of young goats is good, and they don't need shearing. They do need very good fencing and a billy is very stinky. We avoided the billy problems by breading with a young one in late Fall and then butchering him or taking the nannies to a local billy. If your near a city, there is a good market for young meat goats.
We have two young does that are still open and would be a good start for a new herd. They are just SW of Calgary.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Banned

Here's a link for further information

http://youtu.be/DWbU0x0NVh0
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 AM

We have a few ewes and looking to get some more soon.
I love spending time over there watching the sheep, much more so than the cattle. Also, a lot easier to deal with sheep - you can manhandle them pretty easy. They do have a higher mortality though. Not good if you can't handle animals dying. We lost a ewe pregnant with quads this morning - that sucked. If you only have small numbers, you can build a up a client base that will buy a whole butchered lamb off you and no need to mess around with auctions etc.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 AM

Default Sales

Olds Auction Mart on Tuesdays.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default Try Tofield

http://www.beaverhillauctions.com/?p...les-and-events
Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 AM

Do any of you do direct to market freezer lambs or goats? If so send me a pm or post a link to your website!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:42 AM

I like goat they go very well with curry and rice and beans yummy dont care for lamb
Old 03-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
Do any of you do direct to market freezer lambs or goats? If so send me a pm or post a link to your website!

Are you wanting to buy a freezer lamb or buy ready to go freezer lambs for re-selling? We will be selling freezer lambs either on the hoof or Govt inspected and cut and wrapped. They won't be ready till late summer / fall though. No website, mostly marketted through friends and colleagues. Edson.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 AM

A freezer lamb ready to go in my freezer. I was looking earlier this year and the only places I found online were getting out of the business.

Or if you deal with a butcher/storefront, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
Edit: Edson is a bit out of my regular travels but maybe I could send a you a pm near the end of summer?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
A freezer lamb ready to go in my freezer. I was looking earlier this year and the only places I found online were getting out of the business.

Or if you deal with a butcher/storefront, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
Edit: Edson is a bit out of my regular travels but maybe I could send a you a pm near the end of summer?
For sure. I'll probably put a FS post up when they are getting close along with pricing and weights.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Olds Auction Mart on Tuesdays.
Yup and if they have goats, you'll be able to smell them from the office.

Grizz
Old 03-04-2016, 04:51 PM

Default Sheep or Goats

Try Sheepranch.biz. They are located by Camrose and carry many sheep & goat breeds. They just started operation's this fall. They are a neighbor of mine.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:50 PM

I really like the rack ànd chops. But the over the counter price puts it somewhere between gold and titanium and i think it's from new Zealand as well.
Better to buy an alberta fed product, then both me and the herds man can eat..

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31