Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
When are they coming out with a bike lane tax or user fee for these bike lanes? We all pay huge taxes with fuel to drive, fair is fair.
As said by others the cost for both building and operating bike lanes comes from the overall tax base. Costs for one project take away opportunities or delay others. The concept is fine if there is open consultation. The implementation of bike lanes has been pushed through and was poorly handled. As well when the idea was presented to place use counters in areas to check effectiveness and placement of bike lanes this was shot down by the COE - planning & development.

The proposal on use counters came through the cycling community with a concern on placement of bike lanes wanting the biggest bang for the dollars expended and also being able to defend decisions. This in my view was a fair proposal. What we have now does not have any metrics to support one location over an other and only feel good statements have been presented on increase in cycle ridership. There is no hard data currently to support the decisions made.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 AM

My guess would be that the cycling lanes are handled by a different contractor, who may not have high priority auto-routes on his to do list. Perhaps this contractor is able to get his crew out of bed early, and get the work done before the snow gets all packed down, saving his company time and effort clearing packed ice rather than fluffy snow.

It may be as simple as all that.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 AM

i will be able to sleep now knowing the bikers are safe
Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM

No issue with it... glad the city is promoting other methods oftransportation

I know multiple people who live downtown or nearby, work and play downtown and make daily use of the paths (summer and winter) ... will only continue to increase in usage as infrastructure improves and more reside downtown
Old 01-27-2018, 12:25 PM

Smile Just So Funny !

Some of the stupid comments here on this thread just kill me
"holy hell, keeping the snowflakes happy and gone at the same time!"

"Snowflakes and bikes have one thing in common...."

"especially the Granola crunching hippies that purchase a $7.00 Quinoa Latte at Starbucks so they have enough energy to peddle their $6000.00 bicycle home."

My question is -
If people who ride bicycles are Snowflakes and Granola Crunching Hippies, then what should we call the third grade education, bubba-weight, greasy haired, beer-gut Yahoos who can barely climb into their pickup trucks ?

Who's first?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=sdimedru;3717952]No issue with it... glad the city is promoting other methods oftransportation

I know multiple people who live downtown or nearby, work and play downtown and make daily use of the paths (summer and winter) ... will only continue to increase in usage as infrastructure improves and more reside downtown[/QUOTE]

Good, that'll keep the riff-raff out of the suburbs!
Old 01-27-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

My question is -
If people who ride bicycles are Snowflakes and Granola Crunching Hippies, then what should we call the third grade education, bubba-weight, greasy haired, beer-gut Yahoos who can barely climb into their pickup trucks ?

Who's first?

I think you pretty much covered it.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:

"especially the Granola crunching hippies that purchase a $7.00 Quinoa Latte at Starbucks so they have enough energy to peddle their $6000.00 bicycle home."

My question is -

Who's first?

And anti hunting people wonder why so many hunters and ranchers want to shoot/trap Gray wolves. It looks like the answer must be "because they are jerks"
Old 01-27-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:

My question is -

Who's first?
I think you can call them anything you want, as long as you do it to their face.

Let us know how that works for you.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=Mr Flyguy;3717961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
No issue with it... glad the city is promoting other methods oftransportation

I know multiple people who live downtown or nearby, work and play downtown and make daily use of the paths (summer and winter) ... will only continue to increase in usage as infrastructure improves and more reside downtown[/QUOTE]

Good, that'll keep the riff-raff out of the suburbs!
Right... those young professionals, students, engineers, accountant, lawyers... riff raff

Give it a rest.

Edit: I should add, many of whom are avid outdoors people, who fish, hunt, and have a passion for the outdoors like anyone of us
Old 01-27-2018, 01:59 PM

This thread is a great example of what the AO forum has become.

Good grief.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:16 PM

Bike lanes shouldn’t be cleared of snow first in this climate. That makes poor sense. Last I checked all emergency vehicles are motorized and use the roads Bike lanes should get cleared but not first. I guess common sense is gone.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Banned

Whilst I definitely think that more than a of few AO members are guilty of the 'if they don't agree with me they are stupid'...which is an ignorant attitude, I actually don't think bike lane clearing should take precedence.
Face it...if a bike lane is cleared the cyclist is inconvenienced...and by the way I work near the bike lane downtown on 105 ave...I saw exactly zero bikes on it Friday!!!
But if a roadway isn't cleared accidents happen...with property damage and possible injuries.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownguy View Post
This thread is a great example of what the AO forum has become.

Good grief.
Its getting better though! Everyday it improves! There was a time when you couldn’t even have an opinion unless it involves slamming anything left of the Ralph Klein. But a few of the pro capitalism, anti everything else have been skidded.

The thing is, hate them all you want but those bikers that choose to hop on a bike in -20 weather and ride to work are true outdoorsmen! Is it annoying to have to avoid them? Sure, can’t argue that. But I remind myself that I’m in a heated cab and they’re outside. It makes me feel guilty as I should be outside utilizing everything.

Most of the people calling snowflake, sjw, etc would do good to get out and get some cardio, it improves mental health and might just help a few of them look within and get happy! Hell a few of the big mouths are already on heart attack avenue and maybe hoping on that bike might keep them around a few more Christmas.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Banned

How to clear a bike lane. (and you guys thought smart car owners were stupid!)

Old 01-27-2018, 04:44 PM

Sure are tons of antis around here, lol.

I love riding my bike to work in the winter and I am grateful that clearing the pathways is a priority in Calgary. I also drive pretty much every day and never have problems with a little snow and have never in 30 years of driving almost hit a cyclist.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
How to clear a bike lane. (and you guys thought smart car owners were stupid!)

Haha. Excellent.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Thumbs up This -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post

Its getting better though! Everyday it improves! There was a time when you couldn’t even have an opinion unless it involves slamming anything left of the Ralph Klein. But a few of the pro capitalism, anti everything else have been skidded.

The thing is, hate them all you want but those bikers that choose to hop on a bike in -20 weather and ride to work are true outdoorsmen! Is it annoying to have to avoid them? Sure, can’t argue that. But I remind myself that I’m in a heated cab and they’re outside. It makes me feel guilty as I should be outside utilizing everything.

Most of the people calling snowflake, sjw, etc would do good to get out and get some cardio, it improves mental health and might just help a few of them look within and get happy! Hell a few of the big mouths are already on heart attack avenue and maybe hoping on that bike might keep them around a few more Christmas.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
My question is -

Who's first?
You can find out HERE
Old 01-27-2018, 07:27 PM

In all honesty I have no issues with year round bicycle commuters, as I know quite a few people that do. Most year round cyclists ride in a safe manner and are respectful of the rules, as it's not just recreation for them but transportation. If the bike lanes downtown are making the commute safer with segregated lanes, perhaps it will encourage them to be used by more people and maybe someday even justify the cost. I guess my beef is more with the hypocrisy at city hall. The mayor and city council preaching denser urbanization, all while promoting and approving urban sprawl in every direction. They want the optics of looking like they are the saviour of the planet, when at the same time they are contributing to all of the problems associated with urban sprawl (higher water and air pollution, increased traffic/jams, loss of agricultural capacity, increased car dependency etc.)

The weekend warrior or summer recreation type cyclists on the other hand, with their matching spandex jerseys riding two to four abreast on city streets whilst completely ignoring the network of bike lanes are a different story.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

Here's my view this morning going north on 127st just off 107 avebike lane.jpg
Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

My question is -

Who's first?
Well there is this...

https://www.indy100.com/article/cons...almaer-8181196

Quote:
Hot people are more likely to support right-wing parties because they are stronger and more successful than their more liberal peers, apparently.

That's according to a study carried out by Rolfe Daus Peterson, a political scholar from Susquehanna University and Carl Palmar, assistant professor in politics at Illinois State University.

The researchers claim that never before has the effects of physical attractiveness on politics been examined on this level and that there is "good reason to believe that individuals’ physical attractiveness may alter their political values and worldviews".

They said that their findings prove attractive people tend to lean towards the right because they have better social skills and are more popular, competent and intelligent due to the "halo effect" - an idea that bias and stereotypes influence the way people judge others.

Writing about their findings in the Politics and Life Sciences journal published in December 2017, the pair said that on average, hotter people have an easier life so don't see the need for more welfare, aid and government support, unlike their left-wing counterparts.
I don’t necessarily agree though. Just posting in jest.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 PM

Newview01!!!

You’ve just answered my biggest question in life! Basically I have to work hard because I’m ugly. Dammit! This changes everything...

Jokes aside the article makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
In all honesty I have no issues with year round bicycle commuters, as I know quite a few people that do. Most year round cyclists ride in a safe manner and are respectful of the rules, as it's not just recreation for them but transportation. If the bike lanes downtown are making the commute safer with segregated lanes, perhaps it will encourage them to be used by more people and maybe someday even justify the cost. I guess my beef is more with the hypocrisy at city hall. The mayor and city council preaching denser urbanization, all while promoting and approving urban sprawl in every direction. They want the optics of looking like they are the saviour of the planet, when at the same time they are contributing to all of the problems associated with urban sprawl (higher water and air pollution, increased traffic/jams, loss of agricultural capacity, increased car dependency etc.)

The weekend warrior or summer recreation type cyclists on the other hand, with their matching spandex jerseys riding two to four abreast on city streets whilst completely ignoring the network of bike lanes are a different story.
Those points really speak to me.

Urban planners know well the effects of green lighting suburb after suburb with poor public transit options and commercial/residential imbalance.

I also hate it when joe blow on a bike rides two abreast on a busy road and runs traffic lights. Paints us all who care about cycling infrastructure in a negative light.

Matt.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM

Default Time to toughen up flakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post

I have been biking 5 days a week, into the downtown, for over 10 years. When they took a 4 lane roadway in the conjested downtown and made it a two lane road (plus one for bikes and another for turning lanes), biking to work simply got far too dangerous. I now run 3 days/week and bike 2 days. When I bike, I use roads that do not have death lanes and ride with the traffic so they know where I an and what I am planning to do ( hand signals). Drivers already need to pay attention to other cars and drivers trying to make it through an amber light and pedestrians. The bike lanes add more to look out for since bikers are going both directions in the same lane. i have seen bike vs car accidents in these lanes which is such an obvious consequence of the lack of thought and logical planning.

I do enjoy that the bike lanes are cleared before 5:00am since that gives me a great place to run. Sidewalks ( especially by parks, schools, etc) are often not cleared for days after a snowfall. if you are going to get out on a bike in the winter, part of the experience is getting through the snow. Having these lanes flake free before 5:00 am is rediculous and an example of the wrong priorities.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnielsen9 View Post
I have been biking 5 days a week, into the downtown, for over 10 years. When they took a 4 lane roadway in the conjested downtown and made it a two lane road (plus one for bikes and another for turning lanes), biking to work simply got far too dangerous. I now run 3 days/week and bike 2 days. When I bike, I use roads that do not have death lanes and ride with the traffic so they know where I an and what I am planning to do ( hand signals). Drivers already need to pay attention to other cars and drivers trying to make it through an amber light and pedestrians. The bike lanes add more to look out for since bikers are going both directions in the same lane. i have seen bike vs car accidents in these lanes which is such an obvious consequence of the lack of thought and logical planning.

I do enjoy that the bike lanes are cleared before 5:00am since that gives me a great place to run. Sidewalks ( especially by parks, schools, etc) are often not cleared for days after a snowfall. if you are going to get out on a bike in the winter, part of the experience is getting through the snow. Having these lanes flake free before 5:00 am is rediculous and an example of the wrong priorities.
Thank you, nice to see a person with an informed opinion post. I've seen many cars driving down bike lanes, specifically 107st south of 100ave.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Those lanes sound like a mess. Have you had a chance to ride the network in downtown Calgary? They are divided off with parking curbs and are pretty chill to commute on.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
x2. Quite often the same guy if you haven't noticed. Calamity Jane.
OMG that is hilarious!! Perfect nickname
Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Smile

Here is what I had to deal with....image.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-28-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Definitely respect your outlook on this and the fact that you ride in all types of weather conditions. Hard to respect those that talk down about others way of life especially when it involves being more active and making less of an environmental impact. A cyclist in the winter will always get my respect..