Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
There seems to be a little confusion when using the terms "English" "British" and "American" when describing a Labrador Retriever.

Most would agree that none of the above descriptions are interchangeable but in fact they all are. There is only one breed standard although they differ ever so slightly from country to country. All Labradors should share the exact same ancestry.

In the real world, some of the best "English" Labradors were born and bred in the USA and in fact had never a relative in the UK, some of the best "British" gun dogs have never stepped foot outside of Canada and there are "American" field dogs romping the fields of Europe. It couldn't be any other way because they all come from the same place! You guessed it, Newfoundland and Labrador.

In theory an English is what we would expect to find excelling in a show ring, an American we would expect to find excelling at field trials and a British would be at the heel of a true English gentleman patiently awaiting an afternoon of work under a fine English SxS. In reality most any Labrador is a fine looking individual and will out hunt 90% of hunters, just like most shotguns and rifles will out shoot their owners. We all know those guys buying the latest and greatest golf clubs yet their handicap hasn't changed since they took up the game.

I want a dog to look a certain way. Generally speaking that would suggest English but many Champion English dogs do not appeal to me. I like a dog with a little more leg and less weight over the shoulders than most English. I find the short legged, heavy chested dogs too slow and more prone to injury from the added weight on the front joints.

I want a dog that can hunt. Generally speaking that would suggest an American Field dog but many American dogs do not appeal to me. They are just too hyper and too high maintenance. I get out a lot but I am not retired and some days a 10-15 minute run is all I have time for. Most days off I hunt or fish but some days a sandwich and a nap is a nice idea as well. I would never push the boundaries of what a true "American" field dog is capable and would feel guilty in restricting him.

That leaves only the British right? Most British field dogs are too small for my liking. A British male generally comes in between 50-70 pounds and they look a little too hound dog like for me. I like my females between 60 and 70 pounds and my males to push the breed standard at at least 80 pounds and 90 is even better.

So obviously what I like in a dog is not for everyone. I search out dogs with the characteristics I like. I check carefully that all health issues have been screened for and a health guarantee is offered, I check carefully the pedigree to ensure there is hunt and confirmation in the back ground, I generally only purchase from a repeat breeding and I ask for and follow up on references.

A person should be truly honest with themselves as to what they want in a dog and seek out those characteristics without bias to the "English Show" "British Elite" or "American Field" stigma. Just look at the opinions on the "Upland and Pheasant Shotgun" thread, one size certainly does not fit all when it comes to outdoorsmen.
Any breeder recommendations for a British one?