Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Great contribution of poorly equiped vehicles to our already overloaded roadways in todays conditions.
Some of us go with one set of all seasons, because it's what we can afford. I am one of those people. Sorry I haven't been brainwashed by tire manufacturers, but when I am, I will join your 'holier than thou' club and chastise those who haven't dropped an entire paycheck on a second set of rubber.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Some of us go with one set of all seasons, because it's what we can afford. I am one of those people. Sorry I haven't been brainwashed by tire manufacturers, but when I am, I will join your 'holier than thou' club and chastise those who haven't dropped an entire paycheck on a second set of rubber.
Says the guy who drops $50,000 on a new vehicle and spends an entire pay cheque on new T/A's.

So, just to be clear...you're advocating that's it okay to drive around in today's blizzard with poor tires?

I'm curious if your above post would have been made if anyone other than myself had made mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
There should be a $1000 fine for not having proper winter tires or chains while DRIVING. I don't care if you have all season, no season, Montreal steak season or anything else. If you are driving in winter conditions, have the proper tires or stay home.
And btw...when I my work van had only poor, all-seasons...I never ventured out on bad snow days. Even with brand new winters all the way around, I stayed home today.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 12-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

wow! sounds like you guys down south are having lots of fun. i was in calgary last friday and was amassed at how little snow you had compared to us in edm.
we were on the edge of the storm here in edm. and only got around 6-8" of snow.
i also only have all season tires on 3 of my vehicles and they get me around ok though i've been driving in this chit for 40 years. one thing i do keep on every vehicle i own is a shovel.
worst thing on the these snowy roads are some of the "new canadians" some of which have never seen snow let alone drove through it
good luck everyone stay safe.

p.s. tow truck ban after a storm? you guys sure do things differntly in calgary. lol
Old 12-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
p.s. tow truck ban after a storm? you guys sure do things differntly in calgary. lol
There's no tow-truck ban.

A few pics from this morning:

Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Says the guy who drops $50,000 on a new vehicle and spends an entire pay cheque on new T/A's.

So, just to be clear...you're advocating that's it okay to drive around in today's blizzard with poor tires?

I'm curious if your above post would have been made if anyone other than myself had made mine?

And btw...when I my work van had only poor, all-seasons...I never ventured out on bad snow days. Even with brand new winters all the way around, I stayed home today.
Good all seasons have always worked for me....Sorry to say....It is the driver, not the tire in most circumstances...BUT they have to have good tread on the all seasons....The guy I pushed out today had 20% tread on them

All season or winter tires would not of gotten my van out of the driveway today
Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:

WOW! The search function really is your friend!

That new pickup was ordered 6 years ago, and I'm still driving it. Trust me, it ain't new anymore!

The last NEW tires were about 3 years ago, I couldn't justify $1500 every 18 months, so I started getting serviceable used tires at around $300-$500 a set.

Now, about those words you put in my mouth, where did I say poor tires were acceptable? I didn't, I said all seasons. The driver is about 90% of the equation, and 90% of bad drivers refuse to believe they are in that group, and should park it outside of good conditions.

Red didn't single anyone on here out in that thread, you did. That's why I picked you. Excuse me while I pull out a winter tire equipped pickup with my all seasons.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Edmonton did this last weekend as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 PM

I drive a lowered car. Not fun trying to get around.

However I did push an AWD Acura TL out of a drift and he had all seasons, while I managed to plow through it with good winters and FWD. He got out no problem after I plowed for him.

I plow even going down main streets. Not fun. Staying home tonight.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

I can't stand people that can't stand people.

With all the winge-ing going on here, one would think it's the first time some of y'all have seen the effects of blowing snow.

Relax and be safe.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
WOW! The search function really is your friend!

That new pickup was ordered 6 years ago, and I'm still driving it. Trust me, it ain't new anymore!

The last NEW tires were about 3 years ago, I couldn't justify $1500 every 18 months, so I started getting serviceable used tires at around $300-$500 a set.

Now, about those words you put in my mouth, where did I say poor tires were acceptable? I didn't, I said all seasons. The driver is about 90% of the equation, and 90% of bad drivers refuse to believe they are in that group, and should park it outside of good conditions.

Red didn't single anyone on here out in that thread, you did. That's why I picked you. Excuse me while I pull out a winter tire equipped pickup with my all seasons.
All season tires for this guy also!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM

one word folks " JEEP "
Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Dont worry Dave,

Stinky and I made it home safely without so much as a slide sideways, now not much can be said for the guy driving the 4x4 dodge that I passed with a broken front axel!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM

The mountain bike has worked great for getting into work the last couple days. Only had to walk it over a couple big drifts. A bit of physical activity is nice for making me less fatter. Nice not having a bunch of cars in the way. You guys should try it!

And yes, I'm partially kidding. I know that not everyone has the luxury of being riding distance from their workplace...
Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Gone Hunting

OMG!! I feel sooooooooooooooo ashamed.

The snow plow driver drives on well worn all season tires!!!! How embarrassing!

I know I really should have $4,000.00 worth of rubber under my butt, in my defense, I only drive on roads that I won't get stuck on, or slide off into the ditch on.

Oh sure sometimes the drifts are two feet high and sometimes there is a half inch or so of shinny ice on those roads, but they are northern roads, not like those dangerous southern roads.

And I must admit, I did slide into the ditch. That was back in 1978 and it was on a southern road. And I may have been okay had I not turned my lights off before turning that corner.

If people want brand new winter tires every year, have at err. But don't be pointing fingers at me if I can't afford them. I can manage just fine if the super heros would just slow down a bit and not blind me with the cloud of snow they throw up.

Keep in mind, the guy you just tried to run into the ditch, is on his way to work, to run a snowplow to clear the roads so that you can drive like you are the only person in the world that matters.

Sorry, I'm a bit crabby today. It's been 18 days since I had a day off and the last two days I put in 27 hours trying to make the roads around here safe. Over that 27 hours I was blinded by high beams more times then I could remember, I was passed on double solid lines, in blind corners and on steep two lane hills. I was flipped the bird, honked at, and even swerved at. For trying to make life safer for people who really don't appreciate what I do.

I'll be fine after a good sleep, so please ignore my rant.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I know I really should have $4,000.00 worth of rubber under my butt, in my defense, I only drive on roads that I won't get stuck on, or slide off into the ditch on.
Some people are just absolute moronic pieces of trash Keg. Not all trash can be recycled.

I wave every time I see a plow truck, as long as he turns off his sander and doesn't take out my headlights and windshield.

You are out there making the roads safe for us. My hat is off to you Sir.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Stay safe Keg. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Oh sure sometimes the drifts are two feet high and sometimes there is a half inch or so of shinny ice on those roads, but they are northern roads, not like those dangerous southern roads.

And I must admit, I did slide into the ditch. That was back in 1978 and it was on a southern road. And I may have been okay had I not turned my lights off before turning that corner.

If people want brand new winter tires every year, have at err. But don't be pointing fingers at me if I can't afford them. I can manage just fine if the super heros would just slow down a bit and not blind me with the cloud of snow they throw up.

Keep in mind, the guy you just tried to run into the ditch, is on his way to work, to run a snowplow to clear the roads so that you can drive like you are the only person in the world that matters.

Sorry, I'm a bit crabby today. It's been 18 days since I had a day off and the last two days I put in 27 hours trying to make the roads around here safe. Over that 27 hours I was blinded by high beams more times then I could remember, I was passed on double solid lines, in blind corners and on steep two lane hills. I was flipped the bird, honked at, and even swerved at. For trying to make life safer for people who really don't appreciate what I do.

Thanks keg. I have been traveling those roads steady the past few days, and I truly appreciate what you guys are doing.

Be safe.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:

We all owe people in your profession a huge thank you!

As far as winter tires......I don't bother with them. I tend to drive accordingly.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Banned

Default The high price of gasoline

Whilst I dont like high gas prices I hate gas price whiners even more especially when they drive huge gas guzzlers such as SUV's and large
4X4 trucks knowing full well that it costs a lot of money to fill up the tank.

So lets look at the alternatives.You can walk to work,walking is good exercise and you can walk the fat off your can.That is all great until to get hit by a car which blows your knee out and requires very expensive surgery which will
leave you whining about the cost of your hospital bill.Compared to that
gasoline is like liquid insurance.

You can also take public transit where you get to sit shoulder to shoulder with the dregs of society such as purse snatchers,smelly nose-picking homeless bums and people who have crabs.Here's a fun fact crabs can jump
three feet so if you sit next to the wrong person you get a case of the trouser tingles and I know I am more than willing to pay a little extra to avoid that

To sum up:ruptured knees and itchy crotches are 2 of the hundreds of problems solved by the miracle of gasoline.

Oil company executive:this guy has figured out that walking can be dangerous and that public transit sucks.....RAISE THE PRICE!!!!!!

FTH
Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Whilst I dont like high gas prices I hate gas price whiners even more especially when they drive huge gas guzzlers such as SUV's and large
4X4 trucks knowing full well that it costs a lot of money to fill up the tank.

So lets look at the alternatives.You can walk to work,walking is good exercise and you can walk the fat off your can.That is all great until to get hit by a car which blows your knee out and requires very expensive surgery which will
leave you whining about the cost of your hospital bill.Compared to that
gasoline is like liquid insurance.

You can also take public transit where you get to sit shoulder to shoulder with the dregs of society such as purse snatchers,smelly nose-picking homeless bums and people who have crabs.Here's a fun fact crabs can jump
three feet so if you sit next to the wrong person you get a case of the trouser tingles and I know I am more than willing to pay a little extra to avoid that

To sum up:ruptured knees and itchy crotches are 2 of the hundreds of problems solved by the miracle of gasoline.

Oil company executive:this guy has figured out that walking can be dangerous and that public transit sucks.....RAISE THE PRICE!!!!!!

FTH
wrong thread lol
Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 PM

where the heck do you guys get that winter tries for a truck are 4 grand, i can get 20inch winters for just under 1500$ I looked into it about a month ago. If you can cant afford to put em on your truck time to get a car, you can get cheap winters for around 500$. Cheap winters are way better than good all seasons.

I got a honda CRV, and acura both with winters, leave the truck in the garage when the weather is like this.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
where the heck do you guys get that winter tries for a truck are 4 grand.....
Tires and rims.

FWIW, I agree with you.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
where the heck do you guys get that winter tries for a truck are 4 grand, i can get 20inch winters for just under 1500$ I looked into it about a month ago. If you can cant afford to put em on your truck time to get a car, you can get cheap winters for around 500$. Cheap winters are way better than good all seasons.

I got a honda CRV, and acura both with winters, leave the truck in the garage when the weather is like this.
Life in the North has it's down side. We pay a lot more for things.

But you are right, I didn't look at the price, just took a swag guess.

Here, for my pickup, the cost would be around $400.00 each, installed.

That's a fair chunk of change on my wage.

Add $300.00 to $400.00 a month for fuel, just to drive back and forth to work, add the higher cost of everything else, and it's not an expense a person on my wage can afford every year.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 PM

I will say i did drop 4 grand of flints money for winters on my flint truck last winter.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Tires and rims.

FWIW, I agree with you.
Nope. Under $2000 for tires, rims and sensors for my Ram. Good quality tires too.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Default tow bans

tow bans are a good thing, its a way of keeping traffic moving without having to worry about a tow truck blocking half a lane on a curve. Why is this needed??? Too many in it for a dollar operators that don't worry about other motorists safety!!! Have seen way to many close calls on the highways because of dumb tow truck operators!!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

http://www.1010tires.com/

good stuff here
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
tow bans are a good thing, its a way of keeping traffic moving without having to worry about a tow truck blocking half a lane on a curve. Why is this needed??? Too many in it for a dollar operators that don't worry about other motorists safety!!! Have seen way to many close calls on the highways because of dumb tow truck operators!!
There are NO tow bans!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

I myself drive on all seasons, but I made sure that my wife's car has winter tires as she typically has the kids with her. For people who can't afford winter tires... Look at it this way, you would have two sets of tires that should theoretically get you twice the mileage of one set of tires. In the end you should break even. Just throwing it out there...
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 PM

My neighbor runs his own bobcat so he cleared our back alley and street!! He even piled all the snow on his property!