Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Livestock Hauler

Anyone got any info on this? Thinking of making a career change and just looking for as much info as I can get before jumping in. Looking for things like home time, pay, companies to start with, career advancement, effects on family, E-logs, etc... From everything Ive read/heard the first year is hard, but it gets better once you get that under your belt.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 12-15-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Call it "Bill6 Trucking". Our motto"We're spying on you".

I'd stay away from cattle, sheep are much nicer, and won't squeal on you. Safety first.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:39 PM

If you can quickly unload a liner full of unweaned calves at night you'll have it made.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:58 PM

Livestock trucking is the last thing i would do. Expect too always wait around while your load is being sorted and you have a deadline at the other end that you will miss unless you speed. Shovelling manure gets old real quick, particularly in -20 weather. I could go on for hours lol.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Livestock trucking is the last thing i would do. Expect too always wait around while your load is being sorted and you have a deadline at the other end that you will miss unless you speed. Shovelling manure gets old real quick, particularly in -20 weather. I could go on for hours lol.
My thoughts as well. Kind of laughter when I read this because I’ve never heard of anyone striving to be the pilot of a cattle liner but I suppose being a Walmart greeter isn’t for everyone.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
My thoughts as well. Kind of laughter when I read this because I’ve never heard of anyone striving to be the pilot of a cattle liner but I suppose being a Walmart greeter isn’t for everyone.
I just think it would be a good job for me. Lots of freedom, dont always have a boss looking over your shoulder or testing you, and I like driving.(Have been across Canada four times and the States once) On top of that you get a bit of exercise moving the livestock in/out of the truck, and get to meet lots of good people.

My biggest concern is how does it effect my family? Will I be able to pay the bills starting out? Eventually I'd like to get to O/O and run my own truck running cows, hay, and grain. But to start out I think its smarter to drive someone elses truck and learn the ropes.

Any comments you guys have on running livestock, or trucking in general, Im all ears. I have a pretty good job right now, so I want to make a informed decision before making the switch.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Anyone now what some of their rates are ?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Worst job in the trucking industry. All I ever wanted to do growing up was haul cattle, when I finally got to do it I was thoroughly disappointed. I don't know if you've ever been in a liner but to be able to stand straight up you have to be about 5 feet tall, not comfortable stooped down to shovel it out. A lot of nighttime work involved as well as around the clock cheat on your log book work as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 PM

It's trucking. Home time?? Advancement?? It's a job that requires a class 1 and a high school education. I don't want to sound like I'm looking down at anyone, it'll pay the bills, but that's pretty much what you get out of it.

Have a couple guys in my family that made a living driving after retiring from other careers, they seemed to enjoy it, but their kids were grown and their wives were over 50.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
Anyone now what some of their rates are ?
I've heard they are charging $200/hour for short haul, local work.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Default Livestock Hauler

I own my own small construction company. I think for you and your freedom owning your own trucks is key . What , when , where you haul is up to you . It can be rewarding . But when your starting off or when it’s slow you got to do what it takes to pay the bills . That means working around the clock , crap work , etc. And the stress oh the STRESS. Not knowing if the phone will ring . And sometimes it’s off the hook . You can’t please everyone