Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 04:13 PM

Default Anyone use snowshoes?

Thinking of finding something new to help keep active now that hunting season is over. My wife and I love being outdoors, thinking of getting some of these metal snowshoes, would be fun to head out after fresh snow.

I would think about cross country skis, but that's a bit more of a commitment, and I've heard it can be a slog if you are not on a pre-existing trail.

Experiences?
Old 11-29-2021, 04:21 PM

I use them. They were awesome when my hunting area got 14 inches of snow. not a single person seen that day or vehicles hunting because without snowshoes you would give up in a couple of steps. I go snowshoeing outside of hunting season and still enjoy it too. make sure you get snowshoes that can handle your weight plus more because sinking sucks especially in lots of snow.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:27 PM

I have Huron style. I think the metal ones would be better though
Old 11-29-2021, 04:32 PM

I have an old wooden pair of my dad's hanging on the wall. A couple of years ago when we had a lot of snow, I bought a pair of metal ones. Haven't had much snow since.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:38 PM

Have a old set of bear paw snowshoes I used for hunting. Better than sinking up to your crotch. But when hunting becomes that difficult I prefer sitting by my wood stove.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:38 PM

I snow shoe a lot in the winter when we have snow. I've bought different types over the years but the ones I keep going back to are the white military style with wire cable for mesh.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:06 PM

The old style are good but the spikes and toe cleats on the modern ones makes walking up very steep river banks a breeze.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:09 PM

I spent hundred of hours on snow shoes , but we had the aluminum ones. I believe they were army surplus, with canvas binding. I use to have a few set of wooden ones with rawhide webbing and leather binding, but we would have to keep to leather binding conditioned and the rawhide we would coat with marine spar varnish. The army ones had kleats on them and were nice if you were in hilly terrain. After the first week of banging the snot out of our shins we could run fairly well with them .

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 06:12 PM

I have a very good pair of MSR, but really don’t use them a lot. The snow has to be close to knee deep or I’d rather post hole it without them. Not sure what your plans are for them, they are nice to have when needed.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:31 PM

Looking for recreational use. Not looking to climb mountains or run a trap line. They would last us forever. Hoping you get that day where you get a dump of snow and then the next day you get a blue sky, so bright on the perfect snow. Just want to go for a tromp and breathe fresh air, sip some hot chocolate and tromp back. Love the snow, and the reassurance that the sloughs and lakes will have water and be full of nesting birds come spring.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:33 PM

MSR all the way. Buy the lightest you can afford. Your legs will thank you at the end of the day.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:48 PM

I have a few sets. 25" 36" army surplus.... those army ones are as good as any in deep snow on open ground. In tight bushy areas I prefer shorter versions without tails....they turn corners much better. I used them for coyote hunting in winter mostly.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 PM

If it's in the budget and you can find them definitely get MSR. There's also a tail like thing you can attach if it's deep powdery snow.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:11 PM

A little, I have 7 pairs. 4 traditional style, 2 modern, and a pair of the white military style. I hunt rabbits and coyote, winter bush camp, and do family get togethers on shoes. Ok a lot, in winter I’m trying to find the snow to play in. Just like a ski bum ( snowshoe bum) I guess. I can tell you this it keeps a guy in shape, at 62 I can do 10 to 15 km in a day on a pair, depending on snow conditions.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:18 PM

I have aluminum framed, steel cabled snowshoes. Upgraded to a better boot bindinglast year. Amazing. Had them since 97. I think I’ve seen them advertised as Canadian military snowshoes. Indestructible.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:25 PM

I’ve used the military ones a LOT, they’re pretty decent. Not great for going uphill though. Princess auto used to have them for a good price.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Thinking of finding something new to help keep active now that hunting season is over. My wife and I love being outdoors, thinking of getting some of these metal snowshoes, would be fun to head out after fresh snow.

I would think about cross country skis, but that's a bit more of a commitment, and I've heard it can be a slog if you are not on a pre-existing trail.

Experiences?
Two different tools for different environments. Shoes exceed in the bush, skis in the open. I shoed extensively in my teens, but once converted to the ski, never went back. Type of terrain will dictate the level of ski you need. I cruise with a cheapo set, but target that snow. There’s a certain ‘nirvana’ attainable with skiing. Nothing like it in shoeing.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:32 PM
Banned

Those Military snowshoes are actually magnesium and not aluminum. Useful for starting fires.

I put many miles on my Military snowshoes but when I retired, I retired them as well. I find the civilian style snowshoes much easier to walk in and better suited for recreation. I bought a pair Similar (if not the same) as these ones that are on sale at SportChek until December 1 and keep them on my Skidoo in case of a breakdown:

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...D=333282994_10
Old 11-30-2021, 01:17 AM

After seeing some comments - went to the MSRGear.com website & all but kids snowshoes out of stock.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Those Military snowshoes are actually magnesium and not aluminum. Useful for starting fires.

I put many miles on my Military snowshoes but when I retired, I retired them as well. I find the civilian style snowshoes much easier to walk in and better suited for recreation. I bought a pair Similar (if not the same) as these ones that are on sale at SportChek until December 1 and keep them on my Skidoo in case of a breakdown:

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...D=333282994_10

Went the same route too....many miles on winter ex with snow shoes and bangy boards lead me to believe there is better out there.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-30-2021, 06:48 AM

We've got the old beaver tails, MSRs, aluminums, I default to the MSRs. Binding system is superior and with the crampon cleats a person can go anywhere.

Downsides are they're expensive, and they're noisier than most other snowshoes on icy snow.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 11-30-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:10 AM

I never used mine last year, but the year before, I used my modern aluminum/plastic snowshoes almost daily for months. It doesn't take long to get used to them, an it's much faster and easier than breaking through knee deep snow for miles.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:56 AM

Thanks to all of you and the people that PM'd. Awesome advice as always.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:35 AM

I have used both for 50+ years and the best advice I can give you is that thy are both good in different environments and for different uses.

The snowshoes are great in deep snow and heavily brushy areas. I wouldn't even consider going without them.

The skis are great for clear areas and little snow. If you want them for the fun and exercise they can be used in snow that is only an couple of inches deep. You can travel far and fast on them. You can even get Xcountry skis with metal edges like downhill skis for the occasional time you want to travers some icy terrain and "skins" for climbing slopes.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 11-30-2021, 09:50 AM

I hear you on the x country skis. Years back, my wife and I cross country ski'd into Skoki. There's a stretch where you cross a lake and it's ringed by peaks.

We crossed on bright blue, cloudless, windless afternoon. Spectacular.

We'll probably end up with both skis and shoes, but gotta start with one or the other.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:04 PM

I put snowboard bindings on my military set and use them in swampy muskeg areas if needed for recovering an animal. Sucks to fall over. Have a couple sets of other shoes for snow. I have put a few miles on my Yakima snowshoes. Used to do a lot of snowshoe/cross country ski day trips Skies for flat and down hill and shoes for up hill. Seems like I was always the one breaking trail.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:59 AM

Always use good old style snowshoes on trap line. They have been the gold standard for years.